Universal HD to Revamp Lineup

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Yes BattleStar Galactica Start Tonight On Scfi!! Season 3!!

http://www.tvpredictions.com/universalhd100606.htm

KITT, we hardly knew ye.

Knight Rider, the 1980s action series starring David Hasselhoff and a talking car named KITT, apparently is headed back to the garage after a long return trip on the high-def channel Universal HD.

TV Week reports that the NBC-owned network is reducing its emphasis on oldtime programs such as KR and The Equalizer in favor of more movies and sports.

UHD's new look will take effect this month.

"There will be less older series and more movies on the air," Dan Harrison, senior VP of emerging networks at NBC Universal, told the publication. "We want to move beyond being one of the NBC cable networks and for UHD to get its own brand, and movies and sports is a very logical way to do that."

In last week's Rumor Watch department, TVPredictions.com signaled the coming changes at Universal HD.

"Universal HD's lineup of stale repeats and circa 1980s repeats such as Knight Rider needs to be revamped if it will ultimately succeed. Look for big changes in 2007," TVPredictions.com wrote.

Universal HD, which is now available on satellite and some cable systems such as Comcast, has struggled to find its niche in the high-def world. The network, which was originally launched as Bravo HD, has featured a lineup of NBC Universal-produced repeats and sports, such as the Winter and Summer Olympics.

TV Week reports that UHD has acquired several films for the fourth quarter including Bram Stroker's Dracula, About a Boy, Smokey and the Bandit, Meet Joe Black, and the Back to the Future trilogy.

"We've doubled the quantity of movies this year versus last year, and next year we'll look at what we can afford in sports," Harrison said. "Obviously this is a bit difficult when you're not in millions and millions of homes … but this is a real brand, this is a real network, and we're taking it seriously."

But Harrison told TV Week that the network will still air some shows from NBC Universal such as Battlestar Galactica and Monk.

CubsWin said:
That sucks... I like watching Knight Rider and Quantum Leap on UHD. :(

Well, I say thank God for this. Although I loved (first run) Rider as a teenager & still lust after an 81 Fireberd to this day, it needs to stay in the 80's.

Now if we could only get the Law & Order cha.. err I mean TNT-HD to change into NG-HD then we'll be onto something :D

I've been recording Monk and Battlestar since UHD launched on E*, as well as a few movies. Now Firefly as well. That's as much content as I'm recording regularly on any of the major networks.

This is a good channel getting better, IMHO.

BTW, is there confirmation that UHD will be showing Battlestar Season 3...? What's listed on Sunday night for the next month are continuations of Season 2 repeats.

Last edited:
I watch more UHD than all 4 major networks combined.

Not that I watch a lot of UHD.

I haven't recorded a single major network program on my 622, which was installed 2 months ago. Network programmng is truly pathetic.

Best way to get upgraded?

New Dish install tomorrow 10/6 (advice?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)