Universal Remote Optimized for DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
Can any of you guys recommend an affordable Universal remote that handles DirectTV as good or better than OEM? It only needs to run 4 devices (DirecTV, Sony Blu-ray, Sony Surround Sound Receiver and Visio Smart TV) I currently have the small black/white DirecTV remote as well as the older white DirecTV remote. I like the white one but I"m not crazy about the slide switch that changes functions! Otherwise, it will do everything I want. I might even upgrade to the DirecTV remote with back lit buttons!

Looking for any recommendations!

I use a harmony 650 in the bedroom with 1 touch functions and love it. I also use a harmony smart control in my living room, works really well too but the latest firmware update for the smart hub has given me a lag. I hit the button to watch tv and it may take up to 2 minutes before the directv receiver responds to it. The 650 can normally he found between $49-79 and the smart control is I believe $139 for the basic model and $379 (I think) for the higher tiered model

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've used a Harmony 650 as well for years with a similar setup in my living room. One button turns on & off everything & with some amount of custom programming, full control of the primary device being used at the time e.g. control of dvr when watching Directv, control of bluray player when switched to bluray mode.

RCA RCRP05BR $13. Made by the same OEM as orig remote. Even uses same codes. But adds more devices, learning, macros (activities), volume punch thru and programming via PC like harmony. Killer value. I have at least a dozen of them.

The Logitech Harmony series. mdavej, the RCA remote you posted, is not PC programmable like the Harmony. It is the same as what you would get from say Comcast, TWC, Verizon for Fios.

For now, I swapped the RC66 from the Genie Mini in the game room with the RC71 from the HR44 in the Living room. I'm not crazy about the slide switch on the RC66 but it will do for now. I had an issue with reprogramming he RC71 for the Mini however...it works on the box but wont take any codes to work with my TV. I called DirectTV and they tried with me for almost an hour but no luck! They are sending me a new one to try as well as a new RC66RF for the living room! I think it is the one with lighted buttons! I will give it a try for a while and save up some fun money for a Harmony! The RCA isn't bad...very similar to the Comcast remote I just came from.

Rocketfoot, I actually used the remote lookup at directv.com and it worked for finding a code that worked with our Sony flatscreen. You enter the model with the manufacturer info, and is usually pretty spot on.

Rocketfoot, I actually used the remote lookup at directv.com and it worked for finding a code that worked with our Sony flatscreen. You enter the model with the manufacturer info, and is usually pretty spot on.

Codes are ok, here is what happens when I try to enter the tv code on the RC71...I do Mute/Select and wait for 2 blinks. I start to enter the code and the remote blinks red as soon as I press the first number of the code. I tried 900 times...LOL! I think the remote is bricked or something.

You shouldn't really need to out in a code on a 71, are you positive after a complete reset on the remote you've entered the correct model number on the receiver for the remote?

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Unlike your rc66, which has preprogrammed codes, the rc71 has very little tv codes and No audio codes preset. It relies on the HR44 to put the right code into your remote, a code that wasn't present in your remote before. And when programming the rc71, you do not use MUTE & SELECT, its MUTE & ENTER. Just allow the hr44 to program your remote.

The Logitech Harmony series. mdavej, the RCA remote you posted, is not PC programmable like the Harmony. It is the same as what you would get from say Comcast, TWC, Verizon for Fios.
Yes it is PC/Mac/Linux programmable just as I said. I've been programming them on my PC since before Harmony existed. But the OP didn't ask for that.

Here's a screenshot of the programming software that you say doesn't exist:
7a093c08_remote.png

Let's compare and contrast, say the Harmony 650 with the RCA:

Feature 650 RCA
Devices 5 unlimited
Macro steps 25 unlimited
Nested macros no yes
Macro step speed 1/sec 8/sec
Variable pauses yes yes
Learning yes yes
Graphical programming yes yes
Sync time 1 min 5 sec
Save config locally no yes
Tech support 90 days Forever
Functions per button 1 5
Flags no yes
Conditional branching no yes
Signal analysis no yes
Pronto hex import no yes
Fast macros no yes
LCD yes no
Favorites yes limited
Linux support no yes
Cost $75 $13 + $8 JP1 cable

Yes it is similar to a cable remote. Those remotes also have almost the same functionality, far superior to harmony in most respects and unknown to almost everyone.

You shouldn't really need to out in a code on a 71, are you positive after a complete reset on the remote you've entered the correct model number on the receiver for the remote?
I know that it took me at least two tries to get my RC71 to reset properly when I was trying to set it up with the C31 in our bedroom, so that I could use it in IR mode, and with the Sony KDL-32EX301 LCD flatscreen that is connected to it.

This is what I used to go through the steps http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/remote_codes I would say that it can be a hit or miss, to get the box to work with the RC71 when you go from RF to IR. But as for setting up the TV with the remote, it seems that Direct is pretty up to date on all manufacturers equipment, and if the exact model is not in the database in the remote's memory, it seems to find a close enough one that will work.

Of course also tv manufacturers like Vizio are getting good to stay around a certain code for their equipment, dependent on the manufactured year of it, so that you are not having to deal with equipment that has to be only controlled either with the OEM remote, or something like the Harmony, or IR Learning remotes.

The problem is mdavej, is that you have to know what you are doing, because you are talking about using JP1 programming to change the remote. They have been doing the whole JP1 stuff even with the remote series that comes with the Comcast, TWC, Fios boxes. I am not disagreeing with you on this, but there are not many out there that would do something like this.

As for JP1 programming being older than the Harmony remotes, JP1 is considered more of a Home Brew technology thing by most of us old timers, like myself. BTW, where are you coming up with $75 for the total? I am only coming up with $21. All the prices I am seeing on that JP1.x cable is around $30.

The problem is mdavej, is that you have to know what you are doing, because you are talking about using JP1 programming to change the remote. They have been doing the whole JP1 stuff even with the remote series that comes with the Comcast, TWC, Fios boxes. I am not disagreeing with you on this, but there are not many out there that would do something like this. As for JP1 programming being older than the Harmony remotes, JP1 is considered more of a Home Brew technology thing by most of us old timers, like myself. BTW, where are you coming up with $75 for the total? I am only coming up with $21. All the prices I am seeing on that JP1.x cable is around $30.

$75 for the harmony, $13+$8 (I think) for the RCA

The problem is mdavej, is that you have to know what you are doing, because you are talking about using JP1 programming to change the remote. They have been doing the whole JP1 stuff even with the remote series that comes with the Comcast, TWC, Fios boxes. I am not disagreeing with you on this, but there are not many out there that would do something like this.

As for JP1 programming being older than the Harmony remotes, JP1 is considered more of a Home Brew technology thing by most of us old timers, like myself. BTW, where are you coming up with $75 for the total? I am only coming up with $21. All the prices I am seeing on that JP1.x cable is around $30.
Street price for a new 650 is $75. Refurb and used are a lot cheaper of course, but I've never seen one for $21. I'm a tightwad, and it pained me to pay $35 for my 650's. If I could find them for $20, I'd forget all about JP1.

JP1 cable on ebay is $8 (LINK). I wouldn't ever recommend the $30 versions.

Everything the OP wants to do can easily be done without JP1, which is why I mentioned it only in passing in my first response. Going from the DirecTV remote to the RCA, without using JP1 or even knowing what it means, the OP gains learning, global macros (activities), more devices, device specific macros, multi-macros, device specific volume punch thru, channel lock, key moves, key copies, more device codes, favorites, shifted keys (doubling the number of functions on the keypad), EFC capability to add any command without learning, all without any JP1 programming at all. Don't get me wrong, Harmony is nice, but for $13, the RCA gives you a ton of functionality that other similarly priced remotes don't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)