Universal Remote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this might not be much help, but I ended up with one of these and am about to order another one,

http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/product.cgi?model=URC-9910

This comes with a RF converter so you can shoot thru cabinet doors, etc. It has a TON of codes and does learning. I use one now in my living room and controls my H/K receiver, Dish 522 including PVR function, JVC TV and Panasonic DVD Player.

While it is a typical multi function remote, it does have a couple of macros you can program, lights up and gets decent battery life.

Kryspy said:
Remote,

The Harmony line is by far the easiest and most intuitive line of remotes.

Kryspy

I won't buy another one. Poor build quality, short battery life, requirement to be connected to a computer AND be on-line to preform even the simplest programming. Anyone willing to put forth just a little more effort can get a much better remote for the same $, or in the case of a JP1 enabled remote, much less. IMHO

NightRyder

jbcheshire said:
NightRyder,
what brand remote do you use?

Besides a Harmony 659 (wife's), I have a 3 year old Home Theater Master MX-500 and a One For All URC-8811 (only used to teach the MX-500 discrete codes). If I had it to do over again, I would have saved some money and bought another MX-500, then just programmed macros to mimic the Harmony's "activity based" scheme. There is no comparison in build quality between the Harmony and the HTM, in fact my $20 8811 feels more solid than the 659. My heavily used MX-500 requires new batteries about every 6 months, the 659 is used about 50% less but chews through a set of batteries in half that time.

Maybe if I had never used an HTM remote, or the JP1 enabled remotes before that (hands down, best bang for the buck), I might have been more impressed with the Harmony, I don't know, I just expected more for all the hype and the price.

Before I hear from the Harmony lovers out there :) , I want to say that I am not knocking anyones choice, if the Harmony works for you, great. The preceding is based solely on my own personal experience and opinion.

NightRyder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)