University Network (Gene Scott) might be leaving KU??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
So last night I flipped on University Network on the Roku to so see if they were showing old clips of Doc Scott and there was :)

About 10 minutes later they flipped back to Melissa and she spent about 5 minutes talking about a Roku. Some highlights (from memory)

She says they are now on Roku and shows one...mentions the internet connection and kinda how it works
Shows what icon to select to load the program. I didnt know originally until I someone else mentioned it. The icon is like "Understanding the Bible"
Says this helps them get more folks to watch who cant have satellite (like apartment folks)

Then starts talking about the KU Dish and mentions they are trying to get away from KU here in the states because the Roku they are self sufficient if there is an issue. With KU they have to rely on "someone else somewhere in the US who picks up our signal and beams it back" if something goes bad.

She also mentions about wanting to "point that satellite to another part of the world" so they can "spread the teachings".

She did say they dont plan on leaving KU "anytime soon" but did encourage folks to get a Roku.

one thought

OK I understand the whole apartment thing but how many folks out there watching either
-dont have internet (lots of older folks) or
-have a poor connection so they cant watch it efficiently. I know a 1.5MB connection will still buffer

I could see a lot of things if I had a better ISP. Around here, its telco dsl (1mb max at my distance from the central office for now), or satellite-isp. So you either get choked for speed, or choked on bandwidth limits. 'Some' connection is better than none, I suppose.

I have barbie bridges as the background pic on my openbox s10.
:eek: :eek: :censored: :eek: :eek:
I could see a lot of things if I had a better ISP. Around here, its telco dsl (1mb max at my distance from the central office for now), or satellite-isp. So you either get choked for speed, or choked on bandwidth limits. 'Some' connection is better than none, I suppose.
Yeah, 1mb but never seen it above like 700k, and when the school kids get home it's super slow. Even 'Utube gotta download most to view without reloading buffer.
Well, if she takes it down, I think there will be even less viewers. Less viewers = less opportunity to get $$$. I'd say 99.9% of the 'alternate means' of video delivery are mainly used to get the entertainment 'fix'. Little more. A good many use it to get programming from their native country.

Not to mention the fact that even with a fast and stable internet connection, IPTV services such as Roku still haven´t caught up to the level they should be. I was watching my Roku a few nights ago, and it was having trouble buffering (I was using one of those free older movie channels). Sometimes rebooting helped, and other times it was an issue at the channel end. IPTV promises, but in my opinion, cannot consistently deliver to the end consumer yet (I remember last year when Netflix was down for a day). I heard one solution to solve bandwidth issues involves combining both, through broadcasting IPTV through satellite. I understand some folks with PC cards and software can already view some of that programming, too. I suppose IPTV is cheaper than leasing transponder space, though I don´t know that. Although it would seem to me to be harder to compete on the IPTV market since you have to market your channel more aggressively to encourage subscription instead of someone "passively" finding your channel on, say, a Glorystar system.

Iptv is not a reality in America. Our broadband sucks.

yep, slow and way overpriced.

I would hope someone could tell Melissa how much of a bargain Galaxy 19 Ku-band has to be - the expense should be worth it considering the geographic coverage of the satellite signal and the ease and low-cost hardware to which it can be received by anyone who wants the service in decent video quality and reception reliability (all that in comparison to IPTV with cheap hardware but expensive internet service access charges for even just 1.5 MBPS and suspect streaming reliability).

seems like a no brainer to buy a Ku-band system with no additional costs or fees other than electricity for what it might cost for same price as the IPTV Roku box and 3-4 months of
internet access charges (with ISPh costs continuing every month after the Ku/IPTV same access cost point).

We might have to 'Git on the phone' with our broadband ISPs and plead with them to relax or eliminate our download caps if the FTA feed is dropped.

Does she ever mention the shortwave broadcasts anymore? I remember when it seemed like Gene was always asking for money to build a new station. (I don't listen to Melissa, because I only listened to Gene when he was talking about something other than Christianity.) Shortwave isn't as reliable as satellite, but a good high-power station can be received in its target area on other than extraordinarily bad days (of which there aren't a lot lately, with this being the least-active solar cycle in memory.)

My TWC connection is 15mbps/1mpbs I think...I get about 12 on average. I do get some buffering at times in the evening. PBS seems to be the worst either on line or the Roku at night.

Dr Scott

I have watched him for decades...mainly as a source to establish a new install but he's been around a long time. Of course he has passed on and his daughter has taken the reigns.
Reminds me when Syfy first went on air...anyone else remember the countdown and the swirling mass?

I have watched him for decades...mainly as a source to establish a new install but he's been around a long time. Of course he has passed on and his daughter has taken the reigns.
Reminds me when Syfy first went on air...anyone else remember the countdown and the swirling mass?
NOT his daughter, it's his wife, the former Barbie Bridges.

Very interesting! I now watch channels such as "AMGTV" via the Roku instead of FTA. Since purchasing our Roku devices we hardly watch FTA satellite anymore.

There's a lot more available on the Roku boxes than FTA, although some areas still do not have broadband access which would still need the FTA systems. More receivers that have Roku built into them and other functionality is the wave of the future.

Very interesting! I now watch channels such as "AMGTV" via the Roku instead of FTA. Since purchasing our Roku devices we hardly watch FTA satellite anymore.

agreed. Well its not even close as the apartment wont let me put up a C-Band dish but its nice viewing C-Band programming on the Roku that I use to fight with on the 6 footer all the time

I looked for "The University Network" Roku channel last night and couldn't find it. I even looked to see if it was a "private" channel and didn't see it listed. It's interesting to note that Roku offers 198 "religious" channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)