unknown analog receiver - new to analog

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GutBomb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Denver, CO, USA
ok i picked up this bad boy really cheap. the guy didn;t know anything about it other than it was an analog receiver and capable of Ku band. i am planning to slave it off of my pansat, use my pansat for positioning the dish (i got my motor all set up btw and i'm loving it!)

The hard part is that I am a total n00b to analog and don't really know anything. Is there a satellite up there that has some test cards i could find on ku/analog? That would get me started. Also I am posting several pics of the analog receiver so if someo f you recognize it you can let me know if it's junk, or if it's good!

Now here is what i think I know about analog... a transponder can only hold 1 channel right? unlike with digital it can hold more than one per transponder? and picture quality depends on positioning the dish, unlike with digital where if you get a picture, and it's not breaking up or cracling, that's as good as you're gonna get. other than that, i'm clueless.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 195
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 193
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 177
I cant see a make on it so I couldn’t tell ya.

I know AMC9 TP19 (12000) V is usually a test card.

Otherwise the best time to try it is at night on SBS6. There usually is a few basketball games on (last night I think there were 9 on there)

GutBomb said:
Now here is what i think I know about analog... a transponder can only hold 1 channel right?

Usually, but not always. Occasionally a transponder will carry an analog and a digital signal too.

possibly european?

Interesting that it has SCART connections. I think these are more common in european countries. I could not read what their use was.

http://sat-receiver-world.com/ - tons of models maybe one would look like yours.

you also could open cover and look to see if any text is printed on the circuit board for a manufacturer.

if you find an FCC ID you could try looking up info here.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

Interesting that there was no company logo even on the remote.

it's definitely eurpean. the electrical plug is european style, and it came with an adaptor to make it fit in an american outlet. it outputs in NTSC though so all is good there.

it did come with a manual, and i have cracked it open, but again, no manufacturer name to be found in there either. i'll just play with it and see what i can find. it cost $20 brand new so i'm not complaining :D

well, i think i've figured it out. i've watched some college and high school basketball, some college hockey, boxing in spanish, on SBS6, AMC9, and G11. I'm hooked. analog is really cool.

This receiver has the ability to program channels in. I discovered i can only see transponders on the polarity the pansat is currently tuned in to, so i had to switch back to the pansat to switch polarities, but then switch back to the analog.

the receiver allows me to just hold down the tune button so i can do a poor man's blind scan. it basically just cruises up and down the entire range as long as you hold down the button

since i have a standard LNB the range i should be looking for is 11700-12200 right?

anyway, like i said, i'm hooked! i like this stuff even more than the digital stuff!

yes that frequency range is right for your LNB.

Curious would this receiver also work with C band if you had the Dish and LNB?

it would. the manual (which still does not give a manufacturer name or model name) says it will work with c-band as well.

i also discovered that when i turn off the pansat i am not locked in to a certain polarity and changing it on the analog receiver works :D so now i just use the pansat to steer to the correct bird and then turn it off and switch inputs on the tv to the analog.

i only paid $32 for this sucker including shipping and the place i got it from said they have 1 more. since i don't know if advertising is ok on here, pm me if you want the name of the place.

interesting...I know when I turn my Pansat off it defaults to Horizontal.

So yours will do both?

yeah, the receiver controls the polarity. it's quite awesome actually. i turn off the pansat, switch to vertical, scroll through all the frequencies, then switch back to horizontal and do the same thing. i've watched more college basketball this weekend than i had in my entire life beforehand :D

next week GutBomb.......:)

I'll be watching it on FTA...I'll post the coordinates near the end of the week

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts