OTHER Unknown Dish

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I have an opportunity to obtain a commercial Ku dish that was left behind by Safeway. The dish is actually 2 pieces, which I have never seen before. I have seen Prodelins before but they were 1 piece.

This dish is a monster and appears to be about 8 feet. The pipe is around 7 inches. The good thing is I can break it down into 2 pieces.

Any idea on what make this dish is?

Attachments

• 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 846
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 644
Great info and links beavs2112 !
I saw this thread I thought Prodelin. I had no idea of the model. :)

Reactions: stecle
Reactions: stecle and KE4EST
One more question please. Will this LNB bolt directly on to the existing feed horn? Is this the best option in terms of a feed horn/LNB for this dish?

Thanks

Inverto Black Pro C120 Flange Quad LNB - Satellite TV Shop UK
The prodelin feedhorns have a (proprietary?) 6-hole arrangement (60 degrees between neighbouring holes) of the bolt-holes holding the feedhorn to the LNB.
The Invertos have a C120 interface, which has an 8-hole arrangement (45 degrees). This is common with most consumer Ku-band LNBs w. no built-in feed-horn.
So none of them will fit the Prodelin feed-horn out-of-the-box.
With some care, however, you can drill new holes in the flange of the feedhorn for four of the C120-holes. Just be very careful that the centre of the feedhorn will be aligned with the centre of the LNB.

But the 1251 is a 0.6 f/D dish, so you can use pretty much any "universal LNB" with built-in feedhorn, as these almost all are made to match a 0.6 f/D reflector. No need for drilling.
You can even use a "normal" Channel Master feedhorn, which is a C120 for 0.6 f/D.
(There are also Channel Masters for 0.8 f/D dishes, but these are not the cheapest ones.)
But you will need to adapt the LNB holder somewhat, as this is made for the Prodelin horn with an Rx/Tx radio attached.

027.jpg 030.jpg 031.jpg 008.jpg 16.jpg 017.jpg 017.jpg 018.jpg 023.jpg 026.jpg Had some family with strong backs over Christmas so we decided to take down the Prodelin 2.4m. The shipping weight is listed at 375 lbs and I would think most of that is in the mount. I expected the petals to be much heavier but they seemed to be about 75 lbs each. I used a dish crane from my C-Band installer days so the job was very straightforward.

As I mentioned before, I would like to use an Inverto Black Pro C120 Flange with the original OEM feedhorn. I have attached some pictures with the feedhorn bolt pattern measurements. There is also a brass looking spacer on the feedhorn which I could probably modify instead of drilling the feedhorn and possibly damaging it.

I appreciate all feedback.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 323
Reactions: k.r. and mr.crane
Is there a question in your post? I've seen different adapters like the "brass looking spacer" you mention above, with the holes drilled properly for whatever feedhorn they are using. If that's what you are asking, by FAR the easiest way to go for you, is to mark and drill new appropriate holes in that spacer. It won't make a single iota of difference to have extra non-used holes in the spacer when you are done. Those spacers are how they've always adapted different feedhorns to fit.

Reactions: stecle
I searched a long time for something that prodelin made to replace that whole TX/RX assembly with an orthomode feed to bolt on two lnbs. (Prodelin told they didn't make such a thing but they lied.... probably just another case of a first line CSR that didn't know sh*t!) Any way I found one of these FLYAWAY ANTENNA FEED VSAT PRODLEIN GENERAL DYNAMICS 39 °FEED HORN | eBay he has something similar but they're more expensive. Maybe offer him less money for one :) I bought something similar from him but it didn't come with any paperwork and there's no part #'s on it. Also I wouldn't do this again but I converted on of those TX/RX assemblies here Prodelin 0179-189 dish cleaning & conversion to polar mount

Attachments

• 20190131_141755.jpg
    20190131_141755.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 20190131_141803.jpg
    20190131_141803.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 20190131_141814.jpg
    20190131_141814.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Reactions: Corrado and stecle
stecle Which exactly LNB you are looking for..."Inverto Black pro 0.2db Twin" or "LNB Inverto Premium Single" ? In first case it will work on any offset dish straight out of the box. In second case you will need proper feedhorn to be attached to LNB.
Add: Forum highlights some words from entered text, it makes confusion.
To attach Prodelin feedhorn to Inverto Black pro 0.2db Twin you will need adapter.

It is possible to make an adapter for connection of Prodelin feedhorn to basically any universal LNBF. From pictures you can get an idea how to do that. On one of the pictures there is also the holder which can hold LNB on Prodelin feedarm. IMG_20190227_180701 (Large).jpg IMG_20190227_180728 (Large).jpg IMG_20190227_185457 (Large).jpg IMG_20190227_191704 (Large).jpg

stecle Which exactly LNB you are looking for..."Inverto Black pro 0.2db Twin" or "LNB Inverto Premium Single" ? In first case it will work on any offset dish straight out of the box. In second case you will need proper feedhorn to be attached to LNB.
Add: Forum highlights some words from entered text, it makes confusion.
To attach Prodelin feedhorn to Inverto Black pro 0.2db Twin you will need adapter.

Thank you for your reply. The LNB that I am interested in is the Inverto Black Pro 0.2db Twin. I know the bolt pattern doesn't match my Prodellin feedhorn but I have a machinist friend who will take care of that.

My concern is that the Inverto Black Pro indicates it is designed for a prime focus dish. The dish I have is a Prodellin 2.4 offset

I measured the focal points from the original feedhorns and tweaked as necessary for optimum signal.
I also had 2 x 1.8m Prodelin dishes and liked them a lot, as they are very good quality ones. I personally think that it is nearly impossible (very hard at least) to find position of the focal point of the dish by experiments. More proper way to do that is calculation.
My concern is that the Inverto Black Pro indicates it is designed for a prime focus dish. The dish I have is a Prodellin 2.4 offset
there are no difference between LNB for offset and PFA, I have no idea why Inverto made such indication. Another case is LNBF for an offset dish and LNBF for PFA... they are not exchangeable (they will work but performance will be bad). So Inverto Black Pro fitted to Prodelin feedhorn should give perfect reception results.

I also had 2 x 1.8m Prodelin dishes and liked them a lot, as they are very good quality ones. I personally think that it is nearly impossible (very hard at least) to find position of the focal point of the dish by experiments. More proper way to do that is calculation.
there are no difference between LNB for offset and PFA, I have no idea why Inverto made such indication. Another case is LNBF for an offset dish and LNBF for PFA... they are not exchangeable (they will work but performance will be bad). So Inverto Black Pro fitted to Prodelin feedhorn should give perfect reception results.

Thanks for your help RimaNTSS! I will go ahead and order the Inverto Black Pro.

View attachment 136903 View attachment 136904 View attachment 136905 View attachment 136906 View attachment 136908 View attachment 136909 View attachment 136909 View attachment 136911 View attachment 136913 View attachment 136914 Had some family with strong backs over Christmas so we decided to take down the Prodelin 2.4m. The shipping weight is listed at 375 lbs and I would think most of that is in the mount. I expected the petals to be much heavier but they seemed to be about 75 lbs each. I used a dish crane from my C-Band installer days so the job was very straightforward.

As I mentioned before, I would like to use an Inverto Black Pro C120 Flange with the original OEM feedhorn. I have attached some pictures with the feedhorn bolt pattern measurements. There is also a brass looking spacer on the feedhorn which I could probably modify instead of drilling the feedhorn and possibly damaging it.

I appreciate all feedback.
Nice! Can you post a pic of your c-band crane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)