Unpublished SC options

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
There are a number of programming options that have built up over time that are not published. So much so that most CSRs do not know they exist.

The ones that I am aware of are:
1) You can select any US Network SD feed as your primary regardless of where you live. If you opt for a 2nd set it must come from another time zone.
2) If you select Detroit, you may select Rochester for your Fox feed
3) If you select Detroit or Buffalo, you can select either WTVS or WNED as your PBS feed
4) If you select Spokane or Seattle, you can opt for the other cities Fox feed
5) If you are a western sub (Essentials and up), you are entitled to Encore 2 for free (ch 633 - remapped to 375)
6) If you have the Family channel ( thru the Fun Stuff Bundle or Digital Advantage), you can the Superstations for $3.95 or $.99 each. You can get the Family Channel + Superstations for $4.95
7) Grandfathered Fun Stuff bundle subs have been receiving all the Superstations (except WSBK) for free for 2 years. This will continue for at least 1 more year.

Satellite Expert said:
The ones that I am aware of are:
3) If you select Detroit or Buffalo, you can select either WTVS or WNED as your PBS feed
4) If you select Spokane or Seattle, you can opt for the other cities Fox feed
These two I was not aware of. I knew about the Rochester FOX feed (the SC site actually lists it as "Detroit + Fox Rochester"

some good stuff

1) You can select any US Network SD feed as your primary regardless of where you live. If you opt for a 2nd set it must come from another time zone.
This one I do right now. Spokane locals and a Eastern address. No simsubs (well, very few) :)

instead of explaining it in full detail, I'll just link it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simsub

In Canada, although sometimes controversial, this practice is required by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission as a way to protect the broadcast rights and commercial revenues of Canadian television broadcasters, by ensuring that the Canadian commercials are seen by nearly all viewers of the program.

For example, Global airs several hit American series such as The Simpsons. With simultaneous substitution, Global can ensure that advertisements purchased on their network are seen by nearly all Canadians watching the show at that particular time, rather than losing advertising revenue because some viewers were seeing the FOX affiliate's commercials instead. This issue is at its most controversial during the Super Bowl, where the simsub situation usually keeps Canadian audiences from seeing the American commercials that they would actually want to view during the Super Bowl. The replacement ads are often the same ones seen on Canadian television at all other times of the year, although the amount of "original" creative content by Canadian advertisers during recent editions has increased significantly.

Simsubs can only occur when a local and a non-local station are airing identical programming. Using the Simpsons example above, Global can only simsub a FOX affiliate airing the same episode of The Simpsons in the same time slot (hence "simultaneous"). The network cannot simsub if FOX is airing a different episode, and it cannot simsub a FOX affiliate airing the show at a different time.

so thats why when people watch a US program on Canadian TV they see commercials constantly for Canadian Tire & Tim Hortons :)

if you have an address like windsor, or places where there are no canadian channels no simsubs!!!

The only time I tend to see that is with WGN or TBS.......

Basically it's like you cannot watch competing formats of the same game which personally I think is crap but chances are since the radio is a different market you might get it there....

Licensing rules can get complicated. I used to know a guy who's father worked in NY when Time Warner and Fox and cable co's had problems....technically speaking if you lived next to yankee stadium you couldn't see the game (not that I'm a fan of theirs) One funny one with technology going way back was when Atari licensed Donkey Kong in the early 80's it was for video game platforms...but at a trade show they demoed it on a Coleco Adam...technically the argument was made it was a computer although it was the same hardware....:D

9220 question

No0b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)