Unreal Radioshack Deal!?!?!

if i can find one locally, can i just replace my current 811 with the 942 (do have the VOOM package and sat)? or would it make sense to just wait and pay the $99 for the new 622 as an upgrade come april 1st? I do own my 811...would that make a difference??

I expect it to continually to sold for 99 bucks. It will be a doorstop soon. As Dish adds more Mpeg4 channels no one will want one. Charlie really pulled a fast one with the 942. Its ashame how he is screwing the 942 owners.

Claude Greiner said:
Id like to know where they are getting 942's for $100 so I can sell them at that price on the Dishstore.

Frankly, I would hope that this site would stop selling the 942 alltogether. I know if I bought one as a new uneducated customer Id feel duped. All of the price structure and what channels you can get is very confusing. A new customer, IMO, has a right to expect that they will get all of the HD channels when they buy a brand new piece of HD equipment. And it is unfair to expect them to be educated in all of this spiderweb of "redtape" ie, mpeg2 vs mpeg4 :rolleyes:

Well sometimes you just think ya won.:(

The ass's at Radio Junk have re-niged on their screwup at least for my order they did. Heather at extension 7249 tells me it is in the on-line agreement line 3 and correct she is but they could honor their screwup. Just wish it would have been a walk in sale.

I can now see why these incompetence's are on the edge of folding.

vurbano said:
Frankly, I would hope that this site would stop selling the 942 alltogether. I know if I bought one as a new uneducated customer Id feel duped. All of the price structure and what channels you can get is very confusing. A new customer, IMO, has a right to expect that they will get all of the HD channels when they buy a brand new piece of HD equipment. And it is unfair to expect them to be educated in all of this spiderweb of "redtape" ie, mpeg2 vs mpeg4 :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. There should be some kind of prominent advisement to consumers before they purchase a 942. We have to remember many are not as informed about the MPEG "mess." I like Dish, am happy with their service, but I don't have anything to do with their HD receivers or HD service because I have seen too many people pay alot of money for substandard operating receivers and Dish making even getting HD service itself a chore. I decided a long while back to just get an old RCA DirectTV receiver and use it for OTA HD. Cost was minimal and it works with no glitches at all. Perhaps when everything shakes out and HD is available from Dish in a reasonable way I will reconsider.

I can't believe they are allowed to still sell them. Unless you are in range of OTA channels, they are selling you an HD receiver that can't get HD.

The only good use for it is to get a trade in to a 622 on the cheap, or to be a glorified 510 equivalent with a bigger hard drive....

I'm surprised that E* hasn't dropped the price that low like they did with the Dishplayers when they discontinued them.....

Yeah but for those of us who DO get OTA HD this is one killer box. I love mine. Oh, I get 10+ HD OTA channels. I agree that if I lived in the sticks this wouldn't be such a good investment but for me, it's better than a 622 (no 18 month agreement and no HD access charge).

Originally Posted by riffjim4069
I believe the 942 is a non-stock, special order item. I doubt any orders will be completed, but who knows. Heck, I just picked up two Sony 500Gb ATSC/QAM HD DVRs for $249 each.

jsanders said:
Where did you find those? That is a really good deal!

Yeah, fess up!!!!

If they don't honor, I'm sure some will be PO'ed, but these types of things do happen and stores are not legally bound to honor them. Just because some nitwit clerk was updating the on-line prices and forgot to type in the "4" part of $499, doesn't mean that RS should lose $200,000 because of it.

And if they do honor it, there is no way on earth they should be bound to give it to even more people the next day after they've corrected the price.

I hope some here do get the deal, but I wouldn't hold anything against RS if they cancel the entire batch of orders.

yep... Just got my cancelation e-mail. Sucks. For their screw-up, they are offering a whole 10 percent off any purchase. Wow.....No Thanks.

Looks like one of my motto's just kicked in (and kicked many on their arse). IF ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT PROBABLY IS!

Tom Bombadil said:
If they don't honor, I'm sure some will be PO'ed, but these types of things do happen and stores are not legally bound to honor them. Just because some nitwit clerk was updating the on-line prices and forgot to type in the "4" part of $499, doesn't mean that RS should lose $200,000 because of it.

And if they do honor it, there is no way on earth they should be bound to give it to even more people the next day after they've corrected the price.

I hope some here do get the deal, but I wouldn't hold anything against RS if they cancel the entire batch of orders.
It sounds like they are honoring the price for all orders that they have stock for, all others they are emailing saying that they cannot fullfill the order.

Last edited:
Why would they want to order more of something that is not up to date? Why do not get the 622's in instead of outdated 942's? Its just an expensive 721 now unless you want it for the HD OTA tuner reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)