Unscheduled Wally Receiver Downloads

Bill H

Original poster
Aug 2, 2020
Cookeville, TN
Last 2 weeks one of my Wally receivers has been initiating unscheduled downloads (normally set for 2:00 AM). Receiver turns itself off and then downloads. Happens on one receiver but not the other. Both are connected to DVD recorders. Wally with problems is also connected directly via HDMI. Wally without the problems does not have an HDMI cable. One Wally has been replaced. Both Wallys have been switched but the problem is always on the same location. Ran a cable from the "good" site to the "bad" site but the problem stays at the same site. Removed the HDMI cable and the problem disappeared. Any comments? Thanks PS: Dish tech has no idea!

Isn't the nightly reboot/download the way the receiver should work? Perhaps the other receiver is the one not performing up to spec.

Isn't the nightly reboot/download the way the receiver should work? Perhaps the other receiver is the one not performing up to spec.
[/QUO
Reboot is set for 2:00 AM on both. It does reboot both at 2:00 AM (actually about 20 minutes after 2:00AM.) This is happening between 8-9 PM when we turn the TV off but are recording shows. The download occurs about 10 minutes after the TV is turned off. The system with the HDMI permits the Receiver to communicate with the TV even when off. The one without the HDMI does not.

Does your Wally with the problem have the new U821 software? It sounds like Dish finally pushed out a software bug to the Wally that Hopper 3 users have been having for the last several months. I definitely think that it could be the HDMI communication causing this. The Wally detects that the TV is off, and it thinks that you are done using it, even though it is still being used for recording the show. It still should not be doing the reboot at that time, though. It is supposed to wait until after 2:00 AM, so this new behavior is a bug. The other Wally without HDMI has no way of knowing whether the TV is still on or off, so it assumes that you are still watching as long as the Wally is still turned on.

Does your Wally with the problem have the new U821 software? It sounds like Dish finally pushed out a software bug to the Wally that Hopper 3 users have been having for the last several months. I definitely think that it could be the HDMI communication causing this. The Wally detects that the TV is off, and it thinks that you are done using it, even though it is still being used for recording the show. It still should not be doing the reboot at that time, though. It is supposed to wait until after 2:00 AM, so this new behavior is a bug. The other Wally without HDMI has no way of knowing whether the TV is still on or off, so it assumes that you are still watching as long as the Wally is still turned on.
Thank you, thank you, again! I told CS last week that I thought that there was a bug but they stated no. They told me that no one else with a Wally was having the problem and they wanted to replace all of the equipment in the house. I ran a number of tests a few days ago with the HDMI connected and disconnected proving that the issue was the Receiver communicating with the TV. I told the CS rep(s) that I almost felt paranoid. Have a great day!!

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts