Unutbu and other OS systems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I tried Ubuntu but it didn't play nice with my network. I have since changed my router so it may be fun to try it again. If you've never seen it "Ubuntu Ultimate Edition" is interesting.

I use Puppy Linux on a more regular basis. There are many different flavors of Puppy known as Puplets that people have customized. You burn the version of puppy to a disc and then boot from it. Once you get past the initial setup you have a windows-like os running solely from the cd which is very responsive even on old equipment. Mac Pup has a mac feel to it. Retro Pup has a bunch of old school puppy OSs on it for old equipment. EduPup is for toddlers.

I still use XP, and Windows 7 for everyday use. A few puppy disks are good to have on hand for testing computer equipment or to breathe life back into defunct computers.

Recently I installed edupup on a laptop with a 233mhz cpu and 64mb of ram. The cd drive was dead and I was having a bear of a time getting an OS on the thing but didn't want to throw it away. I put the drive in another computer, installed edupup to it, put the drive back in the elderly laptop and gave it to a local daycare.

I originally heard about puppy from someone who investigates billing fraud. People using windows passwords think their crime is safe. He pops in puppy, ignores windows altogether and goes straight to their files. Busted.

I primarily use Ubuntu because it seems to have the best driver support, and the fact that I like aptitude. The start up time since 9.04 has dramatically improved, and from what I hear and have seen with the Alpha version of 10.04, it will be even faster.

At work we use CentOS on one server, Ubuntu on several others, and Windows on a few others...along with desktop versions of Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux. We're working on a VMWare server that we'll be able to install just about every OS on for troubleshooting and testing purposes.

Avg1joe, have you looked into BackTrack?

I tried Ubuntu but it didn't play nice with my network. I have since changed my router so it may be fun to try it again. If you've never seen it "Ubuntu Ultimate Edition" is interesting.

I use Puppy Linux on a more regular basis. There are many different flavors of Puppy known as Puplets that people have customized. You burn the version of puppy to a disc and then boot from it. Once you get past the initial setup you have a windows-like os running solely from the cd which is very responsive even on old equipment. Mac Pup has a mac feel to it. Retro Pup has a bunch of old school puppy OSs on it for old equipment. EduPup is for toddlers.

I still use XP, and Windows 7 for everyday use. A few puppy disks are good to have on hand for testing computer equipment or to breathe life back into defunct computers.

Recently I installed edupup on a laptop with a 233mhz cpu and 64mb of ram. The cd drive was dead and I was having a bear of a time getting an OS on the thing but didn't want to throw it away. I put the drive in another computer, installed edupup to it, put the drive back in the elderly laptop and gave it to a local daycare.

I originally heard about puppy from someone who investigates billing fraud. People using windows passwords think their crime is safe. He pops in puppy, ignores windows altogether and goes straight to their files. Busted.

Ok, I will do some reading about Puppy and even try it if I can find a bootable ISO? Your right abount the networking. I guess I would have to do a HDD install to get things working?

I primarily use Ubuntu because it seems to have the best driver support, and the fact that I like aptitude. The start up time since 9.04 has dramatically improved, and from what I hear and have seen with the Alpha version of 10.04, it will be even faster.

At work we use CentOS on one server, Ubuntu on several others, and Windows on a few others...along with desktop versions of Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux. We're working on a VMWare server that we'll be able to install just about every OS on for troubleshooting and testing purposes.

Avg1joe, have you looked into BackTrack?

If you see 10.04 out somewhere, please let me know!
BackTrack, no but I will look for it.
To tell you straight, I never knew that other OS were out and available free.
Goes to show the power of ads.

Tried Puppy today. It's ok but I find the interface is not very slick. Unutbu has more of a Windows feel. I understand that Unutbu is based on Debian. I might try that next? I see so many others out there as well so still doing research before burning a stack of CD's.
iwc5893, I did a little reading on BackTrack but still don't quite ubderstand what it is? If you could give me a "nutshell" picture, I may give it a try.

I use Ubuntu 64bit here and dual boot with windows 7 64bit and I have to say I do not know why I bothered to include Win7 as I never use it any more. With VWplayer I have instant access to my OSX 10.4 and Win7 and runs faster then the original boxes.

Ubuntu supports my DVB-S2 PCI card as native, so no messy drivers to load (still can not get it working on Win7) I can just watch satellite HD TV with it in full 1920x1080 on the TV and PC via the dvi output.

The only thing I hate is .. well .. nothing. It all just works.

BackTrack is essentially a "Live CD" (it can be booted up from the disk without changing the hard drive contents), and is used as a recovery/forensic/troubleshooting system. It is not designed as a desktop system.

The final version of 10.04 will not be released until late April, but you can download testing versions (Alpha and the Beta/RC versions when they become available) by going here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule. The Alpha2 version had a boot time of less than 15 seconds, and I've heard rumors that Canonical is aiming for a 10 second or less start up time.

Which puppy did you try? 4.3.1? Puppy's emphasis is on being small, and fast, not slick. Of course some puplets have a fair amount of bling which slows them down. There are versions of puppy being built from Ubuntu and Debian as well. It is all about finding one that works for you. Some of the puppys I like. Some I don't.

I have not tried backtrack. I don't test security for a company and am not a hacker. Not sure why else I would try it.

Edit: Started this post before you posted again. That boot time sounds impressive.

I downloaded the latest version of Puppy, can't remember which one it was. Have the disk and will have to look.
Right now I'm on SLAX, USB.version, will try a few, log the ones I like then burn disks.
Slax seems to be more of a build your own type of software but fast I tell you!!
Next to try is Fedora, Debian and Mint, and any other that anyone would like to suggest?

Not to quote everyone but lots of great info and suggestions. Thanks all!

joncl, like your DVB-S2 PCI card I see. I'm wondering if I should go that we or get a box?? Are you driving a BUD actuator with it?

I'm downloading Mint via Torrent right now and will give it a try.
Not having much luck finding a Fedora USB download site? Can anyone help?

I installed Ubuntu 7 ( Hardy Heron edition) and it would not work my wireless so i dint use it much as the laptop was dual boot with Vista. Well Vista crashed at the last update so I went to Ubuntu and updated to 9.04 and that works my wireless. So I never looked back. Still missing half my HD that has vista but no biggie it will be replaced in 6 months anyway. Wanted to buy a new one but none of the big names offer Ubuntu only Windoze. I am in no way a computer guru but I love Ubuntu and will never go back to Windoze.

I installed Ubuntu 7 ( Hardy Heron edition) and it would not work my wireless so i dint use it much as the laptop was dual boot with Vista. Well Vista crashed at the last update so I went to Ubuntu and updated to 9.04 and that works my wireless. So I never looked back. Still missing half my HD that has vista but no biggie it will be replaced in 6 months anyway. Wanted to buy a new one but none of the big names offer Ubuntu only Windoze. I am in no way a computer guru but I love Ubuntu and will never go back to Windoze.

The issue with older Distro and newer ones are Atheros driver support.

Wanted to buy a new one but none of the big names offer Ubuntu only Windoze. I am in no way a computer guru but I love Ubuntu and will never go back to Windoze.

Dell offers Ubuntu on computers they sell, but you have to search for Ubuntu on Dell's site to find them. There was an issue a while back where people were buying Ubuntu laptops and didn't realize it, then they called into complain that their Windows wasn't working.

I've also heard good things about System76, which builds the computers with Ubuntu installed, but they are in no way a big name yet.

Tracker, what are you looking for in your distro? That may help us in pointing you to something that will fit your needs, especially since there are so many different distros out there.

I guess what I'm looking for is something that comes the closest to Windows XP.
Right now I'm trying whatever I can find that loads onto a USB stick as not to waste disks. Unutbu so far seems to be it but I have only tried a couple.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)