Update 3GS to iOS 5.0?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Anyone with a 3GS able to update to iOS 5.0? Neither one of my 2 phones are able to do the update on any computer. It appears that many with a 3GS are getting the same error

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I did mine and my sisters yesterday and it took nearly 2 hrs for both of them, but finally ended up finishing. I tried to do my stepmoms today after I updated her ipad2 and it timed out with an error at 500mb every time. I tried 4 times and got the same result all afternoon.

I have download 5.0 to my iphone 4 last night. I had no problems at 2 am eastern time. I was worried about doing my wife's 3GS, but after reading a lot online, I am going to get hers tonight when I get home. I have read that 5.0 runs well on the 3GS. The only bad thing I found is the icloud sucks the battery dry.

As for 5.0, I like it a lot. The best thing I found is you can now buy tones for messaging. I am sure you can make them with a ring tone maker. I am surprised no one mentions this. Now if we could change the font and color would be nice.

DodgerKing said:
Was able to do my wife's but I had to do a a restore install and then resync everything. Here is a good comparison between 5 and 4: iOS 5 vs. iOS 4: What's New With Apple's Latest Mobile Software? (INFOGRAPHIC)

Question, if you choose to sync via iCloud during setup are you still able to sync directly to you computer as well if you choose?

Yes. Go to settings, general, iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. I think the iCloud thing is for storage/back ups.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Won't be able to update my phone no matter if there are errors or not. With the APP updates this week it added an additional 1gig of APP use on my phone (just the updates of the same APPs). With that means I have no space left at all. I cannot even take a picture. Every APP on my phone I use and I listen to every song. There is nothing I can do to reduce the amount of space. It looks like I will have to wait until I get a new phone before I can do anything with iOS 5.

DodgerKing said:
Won't be able to update my phone no matter if there are errors or not. With the APP updates this week it added an additional 1gig of APP use on my phone (just the updates of the same APPs). With that means I have no space left at all. I cannot even take a picture. Every APP on my phone I use and I listen to every song. There is nothing I can do to reduce the amount of space. It looks like I will have to wait until I get a new phone before I can do anything with iOS 5.

Just a thought: if you generally have a good Internet connection when you listen to music, offload some of the music, upgrade to iOS 5 and use icloud to access the music you had to offload to free up space. I'm thinking this will let you upgrade without sacrificing access to your music (for the most part).

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

SMALL PROBLEM

I put "5" on my 3GS yesterday. Today I finally got around to sorting my apps into some vaguely logical order. Then I noticed one of the two PBS apps was missing. As was Slacker (which I never got around to using). And some others, including CNN, which I use A LOT. Grrr. I seem to remember having to pay for CNN, but when I went to the App Store, it was free. At least SatGuys was still there.

So BEWARE. There are still a few bugs in the system.

BTW, I did not set up iCloud. I doubt I'd have much use for it, or trust.

Oh yes, one other thing. iTunes insists on running, even with the iPhone disconnected. I can close it, and in a minute or so it will restart itself.

I've confirmed that iTunes is launching itself on my home PC also. Only there, it says it detects an iPhone connected but cannot identify it, please reconnect. Only there's no iPhone connected.

I guess I'll set the iPhone to not launch iTunes every time I connect. Hmmm. I wonder if iTunes is detecting my iPhone via wifi?

Just a thought: if you generally have a good Internet connection when you listen to music, offload some of the music, upgrade to iOS 5 and use icloud to access the music you had to offload to free up space. I'm thinking this will let you upgrade without sacrificing access to your music (for the most part).

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Thanks. I'm going to hold off anyway. I am still reading several reports of issues with updating in addition to two people I know whom bricked their phones. Plus iOS 5 does not add much that I will be using or am already doing with Cydia APPs anyway. It isn't going to bring much too me to make it worth the risk.

I am still getting all kinds of issues with this newest version of iTunes. It constantly freezes up (I don't want that happening in the middle of an update). It is erratic on recognizing plugged in devices. I get constant errors. APPs often do not update properly. None of this happened on previous versions of iTunes. It only started with 10.5 and it happens on all of my PCs and I have read about many others having the same issues. I will wait until the update iTunes as well

When I updated I had two missing apps as Navy did. Mine were a cyclist app and the Nike gps app. Downloaded the two apps again. History was erased but no biggie. The other thing is when I text one of my contacts I get a "invalid number". The number is the same before the update and I can receive her text. I just can't respond or send her a text. Weird!!!

These are examples of minor and major issues I am reading all over the net that only give me confirmation to not update to iOS 5 yet. I am going to wait until they fix all of these bugs.

Finally able to update to iOS 5 on my 3GS. Several errors using both the Macbook and my desktop so I decided to do a complete wipe and restore and treat it as a new phone. I had to use two different computers to do this (MBP for the clean restore and my desktop to restore my settings and resync). Now I will attempt to JB and let you know how it goes.

I think the issue may have been that it was JB. The JB may have put code or errors on the phone that iTunes could not recognize or deal with

JB complete and working. The only issue is PackageBackup cannot find my previous backup so I will have to reinstall all of the Cydia APPs one by one.

iTunes is acting up again though. It wont sync most of my APPs because the APPs cannot be found on my computer even though they are actually there. I now have to delete all of conflicting APPs from iTunes and reinstall them.

Apple software gives me more issues than all MS software combined

Found the easiest thing to do was to deleted the APPs and then sync my iPad to reinstall them that way, instead of using the iTunes store. All 44 conflicts were fixed in a few minutes. Thank God I had two devices with the same APPs or it would have taken me hours

How do you get rid of that lame News Stand icon and why wont it let you hide it in a folder. I keep all of my APPs in folder and now I have this one empty book self APP sitting by itself that I cannot do anything with

How do you get rid of that lame News Stand icon and why wont it let you hide it in a folder. I keep all of my APPs in folder and now I have this one empty book self APP sitting by itself that I cannot do anything with
$ome rea$on that e$cape$ me right now......