Update on Hopper 3+ Bug Report

KMeyer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Marion, Iowa
I posted a couple times with some issues after my Hopper 3 upgrade to Plus. Here's a summary with my latest observations. Both issues are related to old technology, which the S/W engineers may have overlooked.

OTA Issue:
OTA channels were excellent before the upgrade and are now choppy (split-second pause every 1-2 seconds). OTA channels on old Joey 4K had digital artifacts but otherwise good audio and video... unless I first tuned the OTA channel on the Hopper, after which it was picture perfect. The Joey shows no change after the Hopper upgrade except tuning Hopper to the OTA channel first doesn't improve the Joey's picture, so it appears there is no change to the OTA signal being passed on to the Joey. The same OTA signal fed directly to the TV shows 80% strength and 100% quality.

Caller ID Issue:
After Hopper upgrade, Caller ID no longer appears on the Hopper TV, but it does on the Joey TV.

If anyone knows how to send this to Dish Engineering, I would appreciate finding out. Thanks

Last edited:
I posted a couple times with some issues after my Hopper 3 upgrade to Plus. Here's a summary with my latest observations. Both issues are related to old technology, which the S/W engineers may have overlooked.

OTA Issue:
OTA channels were excellent before the upgrade and are now choppy (split-second pause every 1-2 seconds). OTA channels on old Joey 4K had digital artifacts but otherwise good audio and video... unless I first tuned the OTA channel on the Hopper, after which it was picture perfect. The Joey shows no change after the Hopper upgrade except tuning Hopper to the OTA channel first doesn't improve the Joey's picture, so it appears there is no change to the OTA signal being passed on to the Joey. The same OTA signal fed directly to the TV shows 80% strength and 100% quality.

Caller ID Issue:
After Hopper upgrade, Caller ID no longer appears on the Hopper TV, but it does on the Joey TV.

If anyone knows how to send this to Dish Engineering, I would appreciate finding out. Thanks
I posted this on other problems reports, but here it is again.
Resolved: after removing Dish Plus and returning Hopper 3 to it's prior state, all issues observed since the upgrade went away...
1) choppy OTA
2) loss of Caller ID
3) freezing Dish On Demand, and
4) occasional DVR freezing when trying to access recordings with multiple episodes.