Updated 622 External Storage Information

I had it hooked up to my Mac for an hour or so and never heard the internal fan come on. Temperature-wise, it was cooler than my IOMagic aluminum enclosure with a Maxtor 500GB drive.

Thanks. I was going to get a WD, but I like the form factor of the LaCie, it will fit well in the entertainment center.

Gonna check for good prices. :)

Where did you get the LaCie drive at? I dont really know anything about that brand.
I forgot that there are so many threads taking about 622 external storage. I got mine through the Amazon SatelliteGuys store (here's that post I made in the other thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/973122-post375.html)

Like I said in the other thread, I really wanted the Seagate FreeAgent (mostly for the 5-year warranty) and it seemed everyone had it for $129, but we got back from vacation and there really wasn't any time to get one at that price.

Last edited:
Here is what I discovered about this Lacie: It is 116and change at Amazon, no shipping. I read about 50 reviews and all were good but one, the most complaints were about the short USB cable and the large wall wort. The one bad complaint was from a guy who dropped his from a chair,about an 18" fall, this broke the spindle. He said that there is just no support from Lacie, no way to phone them and he filled out an online form for warranty service and never heard from Lacie.

Short cables

All the USB external drives I have came with short cables. Long cables are iffy. I have two WD Passports and my notebook won't see them with a six foot cable but my PC will.

I have a Lacie drive here because it comes ready for Mac OS format HFS2 I recall. Plus it has a three way interface. While the 622 usage will be USB2.0, I have been using the Lacie with the 800MBs Firewire and that is blazingly fast. I plug it in and less than a second it is ready and working, plus very quiet and very rugged designed for laptop style portability. The 800 Mbs connect is intended for HDTV editing which the Mac Final Cut seems to handle very well. Has a bright orange rubbery casing. The drive is powered via the firewire 800 cable too.

Still planning to use the WD 1 Tb drive here for the 622. If it wastes some of it due to limitations, I just use the drive in the business and buy another smaller one maxed out for the 622.

Ok a few things...

1) I was reading another Satellite Forum and a staff member of that forum gave some confusing information which a few of you have PMed me about he said...
my understanding is that only one USB External drive can be used at one time and you can play content from the External USB drive.
You can only have one drive hooked up to your 622 at a time, however you can have unlimited hard drives which you can use at anytime, your not locked into one harddrive for all your accounts.

2) Dish will be saying that 750GB is the maximum drive size they support. However I have been told that larger drives may or may not work. If someone wants to try another bigger drive they can and it will probably work, but if it does not Dish is not responceable.

When the software starts spooling and people are able to add external storage to their accounts on the 15th we will start making a list of larger hard drives which do and do not work. This will make it easier for you to decide which drive to buy if you decide to go with a larger one. :)

I think what either Scott or someone at Dish said was up to 750gb was "supported" while larger drivers "may" work. Just be patient.... someone will buy and attach a 1Tb drive soon enough and we'll know. :D

When the software starts spooling and people are able to add external storage to their accounts on the 15th we will start making a list of larger hard drives which do and do not work.
A pop-up saying "you've attached an external HDD...." doesn't mean that it recognizes all 1Tb though. It may only format it up to 750gb and people may not know until it's completely enabled and the available space is listed in the receiver's menus.

Is it just me or is there no mention of this feature being up and running in a week or so over at DBS Talk ?? I see one thread where someone asks about it and they lock it and refer him to the thread from Jan. And that thread has NO mention of the Aug 8th, 9th, or 15th dates. What is Mark Lamutt doing ?? You'd think he could confirm, or at least comment, on something about it.

Is it just me or is there no mention of this feature being up and running in a week or so over at DBS Talk ?? I see one thread where someone asks about it and they lock it and refer him to the thread from Jan. And that thread has NO mention of the Aug 8th, 9th, or 15th dates. What is Mark Lamutt doing ?? You'd think he could confirm, or at least comment, on something about it.

Yepp, which is why I got there about once per week.

I was kind of wondering the same thing to be honest wth you. The reason Dish gave me the info is because they want me to spread the word to folks to NOT CALL DISH TO ACTIVATE EXTERNAL STORAGE UNTIL AUGUST 15TH.

This is very important and I do hope others spread the word.

Again, I don't think there will be a problem. People who come here will know the option is (finally) available and will know not to call and try and get it activated. The people who don't check sites like this probably aren't the type to randomly connect external hard drives to their receivers and just happen upon the message.

And as I stated before, Dish is backwards with their rollout. They should have their order/account systems ready for this before they roll it out, i.e. on the 8th or 9th. Roll it out to small groups and let them activate the service and in turn, get some "live" practice for the CSRs. Even then when it's 100% rolled out, I really doubt Dish will be overwhelmed by people enabling this.

Another thought: Why couldn't something like activating this be made available online, through our account pages at Dish's website ?? We can activate receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)