Updated 622 External Storage Information

Does anyone know if the E* HD add on will allow partitioned drives. I heard some rumor that it was limited to 750G I have a 1 TB drive and was trying to decide how it should be configured if the 1TB is too large.

And ANOTHER question... :)

I just got my 622 today. I see the USB port on the back, but noticed there's also one on the FRONT (behind the panel where the power button and stuff is).

I have learned it's better to ask than to assume as in either case you can be perceived as an idiot, but assumptions have a way of proving this far more than questions.

So.... can you connect the USB hard drive to the front port as well?

Re the stupid comment about being a beta tester. I don't believe you knew what you meant until LER gave you an explanation to fall back on. If you can't explain something you put an emoticon on it and let others guess what you're saying. After that you select one that makes sense to you. But originally, all you tried to do was be a sour puss about this offering. I'd be surprised if you aren't a shill for D*. Am I picking on you. YES I am. But shills and bad mouthers are beginning to annoy me to great boredom.

Preparing to be a better cranky geek in my old age. Maybe Divorak will invite me on his show :)

Don, give me a break man! I'm actually a software developer and a E* customer! Good god man, I was only giving LER a thumbs up b/c he knew what I meant!! And if you must know, I was referring to reports here that some people experienced E* actually rolling back the previous software update. Dude, chill out! I figured more people would pick up on my sarcasm but instead I must have offended some, lighten up! I've been waiting for the external support too, i just hope it works right and E* reserved some QA time before they release it.

So.... can you connect the USB hard drive to the front port as well?

I'm not sure about the external HDD for archival purposes. However, I have connected a USB flash drive containing photos to my 622 and transferred them that way.

Considering that the drive is limited to archival purposes (the only option until we get affordable HD-DVD/Blu-ray recorders), I'm not complaining as much about the 750GB limit. If it were general purpose recording, I would want a 4TB array at least. :D

Vip 222/211 External HDD

When will they enable the USB External HDD for the Vip222 and the Vip211 devices?

Considering that the drive is limited to archival purposes

I believe on the demo video it showed that you copy your videos from the 622 to the external USB HD, but you could then playback your archived videos directly from the external drive without having to copy them back to the 622

38-page thread on same subject:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/101702-some-interesting-dish-info-38.html

External HD bargain thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/98808-hard-drive-bargain-watch-22.html

Scott, great news! This will be my -1 month Bday present, I think :)

I believe on the demo video it showed that you copy your videos from the 622 to the external USB HD, but you could then playback your archived videos directly from the external drive without having to copy them back to the 622
This is correct you can play video direct off the external hard drive (plus have complte trick play functions) just like it was playing off your internal hard drive. :)

2 vip 622-same hardrive??

I have 2 vip 622s. Can I record on the external hardrive on one 622 and hook it up to my other 622 and view it??

Can you queue up transfers and have then move overnight, for instance ? I'd hate to have gigabytes of data transfering while trying to use the DVR like normal.

Scott, I mentioned this before but never heard anything. Is there a failsafe if your internal runs out of space, i.e., will the 622 auto transfer to the external?

If not, this is something they should consider.

So, how is someone who doesn't read this forum supposed to know that a message that reads:

"Call DISH to activate this feature"

really means

"Don't call DISH to activate this feature until August 15th"

Are we supposed to be mind readers?

Nice to see this as I just got home from BB with 2 (500GB WD MY BOOK) harddrives. They are regular 169.00 on sale for 129.00 and 12% off that made them 114.00. And no state or federal sales tax this weekend. Hope these work as I'm not to smart about this. I think today, Saturday is the last day these are on sale.

If this needs moved to the external drive watch forum go ahead and do it.

Don, give me a break man! I'm actually a software developer and a E* customer! Good god man, I was only giving LER a thumbs up b/c he knew what I meant!! And if you must know, I was referring to reports here that some people experienced E* actually rolling back the previous software update. Dude, chill out! I figured more people would pick up on my sarcasm but instead I must have offended some, lighten up! I've been waiting for the external support too, i just hope it works right and E* reserved some QA time before they release it.

Hey, no problem, You're not alone. But you did sound like a shill for D*. Read the other threads. they're easy to pick out as they do what you did. Bad news they LOL; but good news and they find something to piss and moan about. Now after the FACT, and I do mean fact, not anticipation of something that may go bad or assumption that everything they do is flawed, then lets have at it. We heard it all in the thread about the way E* would be charging for this new feature. What a bunch of cry baby whiners that thread unsurfaced. The feature charge was quite fair and frankly if those whiners don't like it, go to cable where the feature is free.
What I saw was this, people complain all the time E* stuff isn't beta tested, so they do a controlled release as Ler defined here( he was not the first since they started the controlled release) And then the sarcasm that E* is doing a controlled release over a week, calling it beta if you will.

But remember this, if you post something that resembles being a whiner, a pessimist of good things to come, or just plain badmouth, it's not this old curmudgeon that needs to lighten up, Maybe its you and others like you who need to. If you give someone something after they beg for it, and then rather than say thank you, you complain they gave it to you, some would say you're not even a whiner, you're being a jerk. So, regardless of what your profession is, if you do what you did, be prepared for some to call it like they saw it.

I have one more thing to say to E* if you are reading-
Thanks for not only making this feature happen but being on schedule that you said would be the middle of August for release date which is what you said "realistically" back at CES. Even though it was mostly ready back then, the delay for a better price decision and getting legal to sanction the method tells me this has been a well prepared feature for the 622. BUT, we'll see. As the pessimists are quick to warn, there may be some flaws, but you do have a track record of fixing them. Keep up the good work and I will remain a loyal customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts