Updated DirecTV HD Locals Launch Schedule: November->March (And PBS Launches)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
HD LOCALS IN EUGENE, OREGON???? ANYONE KNOW?

I keep searching and checking in with Direct TV and cannot find any information regarding us getting our locals on HD. Does anybody know anything on this?

Thanks,
Kan

hey Jason any word on when we're getting the rest of the Flint/Saginaw digital subchannels? WBSF technically is a digital subchannel since its on WEYI-DT2, so is the WDCQ PBS channel since its on WDCQ-DT2 (DT1 is MHz World View)

No word, 25-2 was a duplicate NBC feed for a while, now it is back to the CW46 feed.

Channel 46 is going to do a hard-switch on 2/17 turning off analog and going digital. They didn't get a seperate digital channel because the station didn't start until after the FCC had finalized the digital asignments.

At that point, the channel 46 (14 on DirecTV) will be digital on Directv. Hopefully, channel 46 will do HD on that new digital station, and shortly after D* will follow suit. Hard to say what we'll see in Feb for CW.

As for PBS, we got 28 in HD, I highly doubt they'll do anything more with 19.

They aren't doing PBS subchannels in any market, rater they will eventually add a national feed of the sub-channel content directly from PBS. So things like Create with be a seperate channel on DirecTV nationwide. No eta on that, just going by what they wrote in the PBS press release.

is WBSF going to be on 46 on 2/18?
when are we getting WNEM-DT2 (My 5) and WJRT-DT2 / DT3? I miss them since switching from Comcrap :mad: (I'm not switching back though, I like HD channels too much). I can't seem to find a good indoor antenna for my apartment either that gets them all consistently without the digital cliff effect making them freeze when a car drives by, which happens alot since I live on a busy road. (any suggestions?)

Last edited:
Tom, unfortunately, probably not for a long time, perhaps never. Neither Satellite company has added any local subchannels like weather / news such as WJRT.

WNEM 5-2 has a chance because it is the markets MY-Net station, but that would be dependent on a contract. I doubt DirecTV will pursue adding that station to Flint - or many other markets, when it is a subchannel. Essentiall, I believe it would take the station owner trying to "package" it during their next contract negotation, which could be many years.

At least the programming there is fairly limited, so I've never felt I was missing much not having MyNet (Especially now that the Pistons, Tigers, and Wings are 100% exclusive to FSN Detroit - excluding national games). There is no more local sports on the My-Net, Flint or Detroit.

So to answer your question, I doubt we'll see subchannels anytime soon.

As for 46, don't know if it will be 2/18, it may take a few days to do the switch, in which case they would be off the air for most everyone, but it could happen immediately - really - I have no idea, it's up to the station.

only sd locals

I live in the Albuquerque dma that launched hd locals almost 2 yrs ago, and they are on my channel guide and I recieved them for the first month they went live. Since then when I try to go to the hd local channel it says searching for signal. Its been this way for about 1 yr and a half. When you go to D* website and enter my zip 88240 is say no hd locals, yet the dma I live in does provide hd locals. I guess this is a spot beam issue, I was wondering how common this is? My cabin about 3 hrs north of where I live recieves the hd locals. Its still in the same dma just different zip. Will this get fixed ever, and again how common is this am I the only person with this issue?

That is exactly the issue. DirecTV has your zip listed as NO HD locals.
Albuquerque-Santa Fe NM - No HD Locals 88240

as opposed to other markets near Albuquerque that list as:
Albuquerque-Santa Fe NM 88340

They make this decision because your area is not close enough to the spotbeam for what they would call reliable service.

From what we have for a table from November, your locals should be on satellite 103s, transponder 19.

If you have a reliable signal on this transponder (70+), the only way you can have your receivers authorized for those channels is to move to a nearby address/zipcode that show the HD locals on this link:
DIRECTV - Local Channels

For info on that search for threads on "moving".

Sorry for the bad news, but you hit it spot on - it's the spotbeam.

is WBSF going to be on 46 on 2/18?
when are we getting WNEM-DT2 (My 5) and WJRT-DT2 / DT3? I miss them since switching from Comcrap :mad: (I'm not switching back though, I like HD channels too much). I can't seem to find a good indoor antenna for my apartment either that gets them all consistently without the digital cliff effect making them freeze when a car drives by, which happens alot since I live on a busy road. (any suggestions?)

Tom,
Looking for a good indoor antenna ?
The Zenith Silver Sensor is the one that has been recommended most on these sites.

Jimbo

wow a Buckeye fan helpin a Wolverine fan? Hell has froze over. :haha

what stores sell this antenna? I dont have a a credit card or bank account or anything so I can't order online.

It has been VERY cold around here.

I know my5 has some sports, but their pro stuff is gone. They used to have pistons and tigers (last year) With FSN locking up the 3 Detroit teams for 10 years, these little stations have little pull when asking for bandwith.

Personally, I would love to have all the stations and take down my rooftop antenna, but that is just the way it is.

Just think of it this way, most markets like ours probably wouldn't have CW on satellite, being such a small station.

thats not fair. why do big markets get all of their local channels but we dont? this is one of the reasons i left Comcast. They would give big markets like Boston get 18 new HD channels in 1 day and Flint got like 5 in a whole year.

Last edited:
They aren't channels. They're sub channels - something piggybacked onto the main channel.
Actually, they're not sub-channels, they are multicast channels. An NTSC TV channel is 6MHz wide. An analog signal occupies the whole 6MHz, with different carriers carrying the information for picture, color, and sound. Subcarriers (SCV, SCA) also exist. That's where any sub-channels were/are located (as you wrote, they are piggybacked onto the main channel).

A digitally modulated signal occupies just a small portion of that same 6MHz NTSC TV channel. Each service (channel) has it's own space and is totally independent of any other channels within that 6MHz bandwidth.

Am I confusing ATSC and NTSC...? I could have sworn that the bandwidth allowed for each network by the FCC was either 16MHz or 19MHz, and each network/affiliate could choose to split that into however many "subsets" as they wanted.

Am I confusing ATSC and NTSC...? I could have sworn that the bandwidth allowed for each network by the FCC was either 16MHz or 19MHz, and each network/affiliate could choose to split that into however many "subsets" as they wanted.
You're thinking of data rate -- 19Mbps. The bandwidth of a TV channel is 6MHz. ATSC just defines the modulation scheme as digital.

wow a Buckeye fan helpin a Wolverine fan? Hell has froze over. :haha

what stores sell this antenna? I dont have a a credit card or bank account or anything so I can't order online.

Sorry this is as late as it is, but, NO I have not ever seen them at local stores.
You can't borrow a CC and pay the person cash back ?

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)