H20-600 PARTIAL RECALL BY DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
DTV is recalling many H20-600 receivers. To see if yours is affected look on the bottom of the receiver - if there is a sticker with the code ECO 2.0 you are NOT affected. If there is no sticker or you have a different code, you ARE affected.

DTV number to swap the recalled receivers is 800-932-7288.

Apparently the problem is the receivers just shut down - not a safety issue recall but a performance one, so I'm told.

I got this info from DTV tech support, so my only guarantee is that I'm reporting exactly what they told me!

Great info and very helpfull

I have a H20-600 receiver that runs extremely hot and has been mal-functioning lately. Called the number and reached a real person! Direct TV sending replacement pronto. Satellite Guy's rock!!!! :D

The AM21 is just for HR21, not H21.

If you get the H21 replacement, non-dvr, that's it, no OTA.

Also, to my knowledge, D* is proactively calling customers with affected H20-600s using serial numbers in their system. So you do not need to reach out, they will contact you.

Lets stress again- the issue is not a saftey one, just a performance one, these receivers tend to fail due to a flaw, so they are proactively replacing them.

I went ahaead and called as I have one of the recalled H20's. Owned unit. 3 days later the new (brand new) H21 shows up. Hooked it up............. activated the unit. NO problems at all

D* called me as well last week, I got a refurbished H20-100 (with a nice new remote) as a replacement 2 days later. My -600 also ran extremely hot, and smelled like the electronics on the inside had burnt up.

I asked for the reason behind it, but the CSR didn't know. Now I've got blue led's though instead of green :eek:)

I went ahaead and called as I have one of the recalled H20's. Owned unit. 3 days later the new (brand new) H21 shows up. Hooked it up............. activated the unit. NO problems at all

If you owned the reciever,they did inform you they would put you under contract again???

If you owned the reciever,they did inform you they would put you under contract again???

As a matter of fact i asked about this. She said no contract extension/no charge/no anything. After i got done taking care of business and hanging up i thought that that was an extremely stupid question i had asked. What does it matter if they extended my contract. Who cares............Direct TV rocks with the best HD programming anywhere.

I received my H21 today. I pulled the access card out of the old H20 and it was dark brown on the end like it got really hot. I thought that was strange.

I didn't have any issues that I was aware of but a CSR informed me I needed a new unit on Friday.

As a matter of fact i asked about this. She said no contract extension/no charge/no anything. After i got done taking care of business and hanging up i thought that that was an extremely stupid question i had asked. What does it matter if they extended my contract. Who cares............Direct TV rocks with the best HD programming anywhere.

Because even though some people have been with D* for 10 years and plan on many many more years the 24 month leash is hard to deal with :rolleyes:

The AM21 is just for HR21, not H21.

If you get the H21 replacement, non-dvr, that's it, no OTA.

Also, to my knowledge, D* is proactively calling customers with affected H20-600s using serial numbers in their system. So you do not need to reach out, they will contact you.

Lets stress again- the issue is not a saftey one, just a performance one, these receivers tend to fail due to a flaw, so they are proactively replacing them.

So how people supposed have OTA with the H21 ? :rolleyes:

When they call you or you call them. They are supposed ask if you need OTA. If you need it they send you an H20-100 or a 600 that does not have the issue. They sent me four H20-100s and two H21-200s. That's not perfect, but I can live with it.

Got the call yesterday. Mine is recalled but I have had NO ISSUES whatsoever with it. Works great; no heat smell... nothing. I asked about getting a replacement DVR instead but they wanted full price ($199) or $99 and a 24 extension of contract. I declined. We'll see how it goes. The CSR told me that all they would send is the unit and card... no remote, no power cord. :cool:

Got the call yesterday. Mine is recalled but I have had NO ISSUES whatsoever with it. Works great; no heat smell... nothing. I asked about getting a replacement DVR instead but they wanted full price ($199) or $99 and a 24 extension of contract. I declined. We'll see how it goes. The CSR told me that all they would send is the unit and card... no remote, no power cord. :cool:

And no BBC - make sure you hang on to yours and reinstall.

There may not be a heat smell - but those box models sure do run on the hot side though. I'm fairly sure the heat level might be close to the heart of the recall issue - not running unsafe hot - unless you are a circuit board.

I Am So Surprised

Thank you for the information.
I got right to a live person and a replacement is on the way.

I am so surprised it went so smoothly, I am happy.

Strange Call from DirecTV

Got a call from DirecTV this afternoon about a defective receiver they wanted to replace. Well, OK but I thought all mine were working just fine. I was assured that they'd detected a problem with the H20-600 units and were in the process of replacing them. Stayed on the line and the CSR who came on said they'd identified my H20 as part of a defective batch. Hmm....I've had it for a couple of years and it's actually been my most dependable receiver but whatever. At first the CSR said they'd be sending me a brand new H21. I told him I wanted OTA capability so they'd have to send along an AM21. Hmmm....."guess we'll be sending you a rehabbed H20". He didn't seem to mine that I have one of the few truly owned H20's and he confirmed the "new" one will be registered as owned also. Couldn't help but wonder if that had some impact on the switch of the initial H21 to an H20. Oh well......my H20 works just fine so I haven't the faintest idea what's going on.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)