Updated Firmware 9.5300

5300 seems to have fixed the playback of recordings made of NBC on 103 Ku. 5020 would play them back choppy. Don't use FTP or telnet, so can't comment on those features. Don't see any other downsides. Oh yeah, it did set the menus to French, but was easily returned to English.
_
Neil

Checked out some S2/8PSK signals with 0.9.5300 and they would not play properly.
Broken up, stuttering, never fully coming in on the premium plus receiver.
Returned to 0.9.5020 and the S2/8PSK signals came back in fine once more.

Yes, works fine for normal signals but [FONT=&quot]not working for DVB-S28PSK , tried them out on RTV mux on [/FONT]AMC 3.

Not only does it not work on S2/8PSK signals but it also messed up the Tune AZbox program.
Only a re-format of the application area of the azbox and reverting back to 0.9.5020 was I able to get back all the editor programs capabilities once more.

The next time people say it works fine they need to give it a go go around before they make such claims!
I tested out signals on Galaxy 3C, AMC 3, Galaxy 18, Galaxy 28 and found any S2/8PSK signals would not work.
Others have since found the same thing so I am not alone in this.
I know of one person who claimed more than once it works for them but they never gave any specifics so I trust no one who says it is fine unless they put out all the specifics including Freq, FEC, SR ect... and then let then take a screen shot to prove it works and post it here.

I see they are back to their S. O. S. then, hey, ie, fix one problem and create another two or twelve in the process! To be honest, there was a firmware load back in 4000 somethings that had better tuner response than anything in the 5000 has shown me. I think it was like 4075 that worked real good.

Word is now out there are 3 firmware updates for the azbox all called 0.9.5300.

Yesterdays 1st issue firmware was 51.4MB in size, < this one is not good!

The upgrade seen this afternoon the patch size was 47.62 MB.

The 3rd issued firmware issued later on today was 46.51MB in size

Which one did you use?
The first one 51.4MB is not good!
I have not tried the others and will let someone else be the guinea pig here.

I just downloaded/installed 0.9.5300 from the link on the AZBox Snapshots page. This is not an endorsement for 0.9.5300 but I do get colorbars for GDMX-HD feed on G16 which I believe is 4:2:2 8PSK-S2. Of course its entirely possible that other S2 feeds might not work so I'm curious to hear what others find.

Which one did you use?

On Azbox Snapshot it says: "fix youtube thumbnails | some minor changes | 0.9.5300: removed unused files".
The removal of unused files does explain the difference in sizes. Pop3Checker and azmail were included in the first release (which I downloaded and installed, and have reverted back to 5020), which explains the increase from previous versions. I don't know whether they were then removed, or whether other files were removed, as I have not loaded in the later versions.

One thing I did notice with the new release was that the bug I had found with 5209 (channel edit errors when renaming channels) was corrected. Didn't notice any problems with S2/8PSK on AMC21 (125), but did revert to 5020 after reading some of the problems here, and elsewhere.

I just downloaded/installed 0.9.5300 from the link on the AZBox Snapshots page. This is not an endorsement for 0.9.5300 but I do get colorbars for GDMX-HD feed on G16 which I believe is 4:2:2 8PSK-S2. Of course its entirely possible that other S2 feeds might not work so I'm curious to hear what others find.

The size of the file you downloaded may make the difference.
At this point I'm not too certain about why they changed it 3 different times.
I did have the first one which would not allow any S2/8PSK signals to come in properly so I got rid of it and deleted that file from my pc.
(No use to have it around if those signals would not come in.)
If the only fix is you tube well I still have it on version 0.9.5020 so an update just for that does not interest me, I keep hoping for some changes in recording of the high bit-rate signals or even a better blind scan fix where it would not change what was already previously scanned in.
I also found it quite odd that Tune AZ would not operate properly on the version of 5300 that came out at the beginning.
Even after going back to 5020 I continued to experience problems with the editors programs until I re-formatted the application area.

So if people find they can use all the different editor programs with the new 5300 upgrade, and that it will pull in all the S2/8PSK signals, (you really need to check more than 1 satellite) then you have to figure out which version of 5300 you really have. That is only by the size of the patch.bin file. All of this has been totally incompetent on the part of the developers of this firmware.

I don't mind being a beta tester, but hey, 3 of the same thing is a bit much!

On a brighter note; I am now re-doing the azbox complete re-formatting and re-installing of the menu, channel and start up skins, and you-tube fix for version 0.9.5020 in under 20 minutes.. :)
That includes my North Americanized satellite/channel list as well!

Which one did you use?
You Tube Still Working with 0.9.5209 so What is the Improvement with 0.9.5300?
Downloaded the 46.51MB version one tonight to my Desktop, but if there is trouble with S2/8PSK signals its NOT for me!! I"ll hold off installing it on my AZbox Rx for now, since I watch 99.0W and other Sats ie 105.0W quite a bit. Also I checked You Tube tonight and it is still working except for the picture promo frame above for most of the Programs, so what's the big deal? I mean last time You Tube was NOT working at all, so installing 0.9.5209 corrected this and got it back working, but this time You Tube is still working, so unless I am missing something what is the advantage of installing 0.9.5300?

I don't mind being a beta tester, but hey, 3 of the same thing is a bit much!

On a brighter note; I am now re-doing the azbox complete re-formatting and re-installing of the menu, channel and start up skins, and you-tube fix for version 0.9.5020 in under 20 minutes.. :)
That includes my North Americanized satellite/channel list as well!

StarGaze,

This is kind of a "pep" talk and tutorial for other members in response to your comment regarding being a "beta tester".

Regarding the recent release of three versions of the latest firmware: I find this odd. I would think that they would have re-issued the firmware under a new "unique" number. They haven't, in the past, issued and then retracted a new firmware under the same number unless they have been able to do it FAST enough to avoid it from being downloaded by anyone. Usually, they retract it and make that version unavailable and then re-issue it under a new number with the alterations.

If the firmware released is not found to be detrimental to the operation of the box, I wish that they would just release the altered version under a new number and provide the usual notations of the diffference. Evidentally they just were a bit premature in their thinking on this one.

I may download the firmware to have for posterity, but everything is working ok for me with 0.9.5020 so I stick with that.

It is always difficult to judge what to do in these cases, but for those members here who do not classify themselves as "BETA TESTERS", I recommend that you stick with a version that you trust and wait until the bold ones who are accustomed to taking risks have tried the new stuff first and tried it long enough to prove that it is acceptable. You won't be out anything by waiting a little longer to hear the debriefing reports, but you may be out something if it hoses up your box by jumping immediately to loading it.

It is a good learning experience for anyone to find out that a firmware doesn't do what it was advertised or to have to recover a box that gets locked up. But, unless you understand what you are doing, why bother with it and put yourself in that position? The position to REQUIRE help. Some of us do this because we want to so that we can assist you and we have the background and equipment to recover if need be.

I am sure that you probably read Ice's trouble with the Sonic View 360 Premium recently. It was a lot of work for him to recover that box, but he did it. If you ae not willing to accept the challenge that Ice took on to recover that box, you should not experiment to that extent and you should wait for others to test the water before you jump in. People like Ice and I and a quite a few others have been around this game for quite a long time. We are used to adversities and we can usually figure out how to recover eventually. If you are green to this stuff, I recommend that you wait for the seasoned vets to test these things out before you just jump into the pit. We usually jump with a parachute.

In short, if your box is working, don't mess with it untill you have read from folks like us indicating that it is ok. If a new firmware is released, don't be the first on your block to load it up. Let one of us do it first. Every science project needs a guinea pig, let us be that for you. We certainly will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. We usually have the resources at hand or know where to find them. And since we have been around a little bit, we have some tricks up our sleeves and some backround in similar cases that help us look for the proper answers.

If we mess up, we have back-up equipment and contingency plans already in place. If you don't have these, you will be in the dark with FTA TV until you fix it. You have to go back to the other avenues like OTA or cable or your subscription service for satellite TV. We just set that unit aside and watch FTA on another box while we research what to do next. Please understand that we experiment in this way to assist you.

Take advantage of other's work if you are not too sure of the task, be a sandbagger. It will make you more happy in the long run.

RADAR

Last edited:
Guys, just one other confusing thing, on AZbox Snapshots: it states that the new 0.9.5300 file size is 46.51 MB - BUT when I downloaded it to my PC the file Size is now 47.625 MB?? Could this be a further improvement to the new FW Download?

You Tube Still Working with 0.9.5209 so What is the Improvement with 0.9.5300?

You should try the blind scan to see if there were any changes made.
specifically your looking to see if it is quicker, and does it still change what was previously scanned in on a satellite.
If you have a hard drive or a large usb stick try recording one of the high bit rate channels to see if it is still all broken up and choppy.

I had heard they were thinking about looking into making some code changes for the blind scan but did not expect that to be done as that was just what was in planning.

If we mess up, we have back-up equipment and contingency plans already in place. If you don't have these, you will be in the dark with FTA TV until you fix it. You have to go back to the other avenues like OTA or cable or your subscription service for satellite TV. We just set that unit aside and watch FTA on another box while we research what to do next. Please understand that we experiment in this way to assist you.

Take advantage of other's work if you are not too sure of the task, be a sandbagger. It will make you more happy in the long run.

RADAR

How very true!
Having 3 or four of these receivers hanging around can be very beneficial at times.. :)
The first update out there reminded me of the (2010.06.08 si-0.9.4911-patch.bin) file and what it did to the S2 signals out there.
From what 1 or 2 people have said after me, it sounds like one of the later 5300 updates brings back the playability of the S2 signals.

I never did hear much from those who were using the 5209 firmware, that one produced the "jaggies" on certain channels.

For those who want to experiment have a go at it, but I suggest you first go to the sticky section here and download the latest AZ User's guide and have a good look at the formatting the application area and what you may need to do if your not happy with the newest update.
But if you do not have the ACC program and some of the other editor programs like Maz working on your pc I say wait, or you could find things not very pleasant.

Just want to report that 5300 is still working fine...for me. I have a Premium HD, not Plus, loaded the 50.1 MB sized (52,633,656 bytes) 5300 patch over firmware 5020. All S2 channels I receive are working (OETA and LPB on 125W and NBC on 103W), recording and playback of those HD channels is working, timer recordings of those HD channels is working, YouTube is working, and everything else I use the receiver for is working. I don't use streaming, FTP or telnet, so can't comment on those features. Yes, it put the menus in French, and I also noticed it added back all the satellites I had deleted, but both were easily corrected. I've only seen owners of Premium Plus receivers report on their inability to receive S2 signals, and for advanced users, I could see the breakage of FTP and telnet being a problem. But for basic FTA users like me, it corrected the HD recording playback issue I had, so it was a valuable fix for me. I have no complaints about it. Now I see 5301 came out, but I'll stick with 5300.
__
Neil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)