Updating remote message

John Campbell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
I keep getting a code 498 message that says:

Updating Remote. Please wait, or press any button to cancel.

It stays on screen for a long time, so I I'm not sure it's actually updating anything.

Anyone else had this? What is it updating and how long should it take?

With the remote issues I'm having with this new Hopper, I'm wondering if it's related.

I also have the updating remote message come up quite often on my 40 remotes for my 4K Joeys and Hopper 3. Is there way to turn off that happening automatically and only when manually update the remote?

I really think the Dish UI designers are missing a great opportunity to make this more annoying. Maybe have it pop up more frequently and have it last longer? There is nothing like being sucked into your favorite TV show only to have to wait 5 minutes while a giant pop up blocks out the screen. Maybe if they lowered the opacity, muted the sound and had it last 10 minutes, it would improve the end user experience.

Oh...and if it could happen at least three times a day I'd appreciate it. Two just isn't enough for a remote I don't even use.

Reactions: littlecloud319
On a Hopper 3 with the 40 remote if you press the cancel button the popup
goes away . That doesn't stop it from happening again but at least you can get it
out of your face.
If the 52 remote has an equivalent button, try that.

I have harmony elite remotes for my Hopper and Joeys.

Sure...you can cancel it...and then it just comes back - as you cancelled the update it seems to desperately need.

Honestly, they just need to make this happen in the background. There is no reason it has to be a full screen takeover that lasts five minutes. And if I am not even using their remotes, I should be able to turn this update functionality off.

Reactions: joegr
I prefer to press the cancel button rather than sitting there with my nostrils
flared and stewing in my own juices for five minutes.

Reactions: Dirtydan
I really think the Dish UI designers are missing a great opportunity to make this more annoying. Maybe have it pop up more frequently and have it last longer? There is nothing like being sucked into your favorite TV show only to have to wait 5 minutes while a giant pop up blocks out the screen. Maybe if they lowered the opacity, muted the sound and had it last 10 minutes, it would improve the end user experience.

Oh...and if it could happen at least three times a day I'd appreciate it. Two just isn't enough for a remote I don't even use.
Just hit back and it goes away.

I prefer to press the cancel button rather than sitting there with my nostrils
flared and stewing in my own juices for five minutes.

Or they could fix it.

Why have a system in place that causes frustration to the end user for no reason?

I have harmony elite remotes for my Hopper and Joeys.

Sure...you can cancel it...and then it just comes back - as you cancelled the update it seems to desperately need.

Honestly, they just need to make this happen in the background. There is no reason it has to be a full screen takeover that lasts five minutes. And if I am not even using their remotes, I should be able to turn this update functionality off.
You can unpair the Dish remote, also, since you use Harmony remotes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)