Updating to Hooper3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zplugger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Fenton MI.
Going to move into new house in a couple weeks, thinking about updating system. My Parents live with me in a different part of house. Right now I have two dvr's and one 301 box on my account. My parents have to have their own dvr so the kids don't mess stuff up. Can I update one of my dvr's to hopper3 and still have my parents regular dvr? Will I have to update both to make this work? I now about the solo switch but not sure if normal dvr will work off it. I want to drop the 301 and get a joey to replace it, does the hopper3 still run two tv's ? I know a lot of questions but forums have a lot of smart people to ask. Can I have two hopper3's in one house if I update both? Not sure but I think I own one of the dvr's, so can I just get one off ebay. Not sure dish would upgrade both for free,been a customer for about 12 years now.

No where near an expert, but I believe you can have 2 H3s but will probably have to pay for 1.
Dish won't like mixing old and new. You will probably be junking all the old stuff.
H3 would never RUN 2 TVS with different content.

Reactions: charlesrshell
An H3 and Joey would serve two TVs. Both can use the DVR function.

The only need for two H3s would be if one or both parties wanted to keep their recordings secret.
Of course, additional Joeys can be added for additional TVs.

Your bill might go down.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Now I have a VIP722 box, it does the living room and bedroom. If I go with a Hopper3 I will need a joey too to do both tv"s ? This will cost more then my Vip722 So to do 3 tv's I will need 2 joey's and one hopper3?. What type of remotes does the joey use IR or RF ?

The Hopper will feed one TV. Same for a Joey.

OR - you can split the output signal and feed two or more TVs, but they all watch the same thing at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for all info,having a VIp722 now it looks like it will cost me more to upgrade. Not sure what I'm paying for the 722, but upgrade will be a hopper3 and a joey charge to power two tv's

After about a week with a ViP622 the new wore off and it became obvious that Dual Mode was useless unless you only have one HD TV. I ran HDMI cables and we got used to having the same thing on in every room from the single DVR. Later we upgraded to a Hopper 3. With the ViP DVR, or with a Hopper, if we decide later that we want independent viewing on multiple sets it would mean more boxes. The Hopper 3 with 16 tuners is definitely better in that regard with the whole-home DVR, and that's not even considering PTAT or the larger storage space. Just another little bit for you to consider.

Going to move into new house in a couple weeks, thinking about updating system. My Parents live with me in a different part of house. Right now I have two dvr's and one 301 box on my account. My parents have to have their own dvr so the kids don't mess stuff up. Can I update one of my dvr's to hopper3 and still have my parents regular dvr? Will I have to update both to make this work? I now about the solo switch but not sure if normal dvr will work off it. I want to drop the 301 and get a joey to replace it, does the hopper3 still run two tv's ? I know a lot of questions but forums have a lot of smart people to ask. Can I have two hopper3's in one house if I update both? Not sure but I think I own one of the dvr's, so can I just get one off ebay. Not sure dish would upgrade both for free,been a customer for about 12 years now.
Since nobody else mentioned this, I thought I should add that the second independent DVR could be a Wally with the external hard drive functionality enabled. This would not interface with the Hopper in any way, and it would definitely be cheaper than adding a second Hopper 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts