Updating W7 RC to W7 shipping

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
What is the proper way of replacing your Windows 7 RC machine OS with the actual shipping version when it arrives?

I have the W7 RC 32 bit version going on an office machine. I've loaded Office 2007, our accounting program and a few other items.

Will I have to do a clean install, and then reinstall all the programs? Or just enter a new number, or will it (hopefully) just load over the old, keeping my programs and settings? My understanding is that the only difference is a few more drivers.

BTW, I rec'd notice from HP of their new W7 drivers. But they won't release them until 10/22. Can't imagine why.

try this link How to Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to RTM (Final Release) :: the How-To Geek

but one key caveat at the bottom

Important Notes
There are a few important things to keep in mind when you are upgrading to the final version:
  • The Windows 7 beta or RC releases were Ultimate edition, so you’ll only be able to upgrade to the RTM (final) if you are installing Ultimate Edition.
  • Whenever possible, you should really backup your files and do a clean install. There are less headaches this way, and you get the benefit of a nice clean profile.

I always wipe my system if I am going to install a new OS, but with it being the same OS just a later release I might just upgrade.

Hmmm. Thanks. Now I wonder if I should install the 64 bit version, and play with that for a while, without registering/activating. Then go back to 32 if it does not play nice with our accounting and other programs.

I'll certainly stop loading any programs on either machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts