Updating your AZBox Firmware (tutorial)

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I would like to assist all AZBox owners with the subject of updating the firmware. I am doing this as I have the time to sit down and wade through it step by step (not much else to do here because of the weather conditions). Besides, I like to help out and not only is it fun, but it preserves a set of instructions that I myself can reflect upon or direct others to to assist.

Seasoned AZBox owners may find my information redundant, but please read this in case I make any errors, or if you wish to add to it or (just possibly), if I hook on something that may help you.

In the next few posts, I am going to wade through the whole process, step by step, as I go through the process of updating my own AZBox.

In this initial post, I will state first off that it is important to "backup" certain files before you begin any update. The AZBox is basically a "MINI-MEDIA CENTER-PC" in a way and backing up certain files will save you from repeating some of the setup work down the road. This is especially true if anything should go wrong during the update process. I have not yet experienced too many, if any problems in this regard, but it is always a good idea to plan for the unexpected and the bad things.

Here is an outline of what I propose to cover in this thread:

1] Backing up files

2] Upgrade firmware via USB

3] Upgrade firmware via Internet

4] Formatting the "Application Area"

If you will bare with me until I am done with this entire outline before jumping in with comments, it will be appreciated. Then we can open the thread to questions and comments and corrections (hopefully few corrections will be necessary as I am doing this first hand, as I type the posts).

RADAR

Updating your AZBox - BACKUPS (tutorial)

Backing up certain files is highly important. You never know when something may go wrong and if you have spent a lot of time and thought on how to set up your AZBox already, you don't want to lose that information and be required to start over from scratch.

First of all, and for the time being, don't utilize the editor programs for your backups (unless you are already accustomed to them and can trust them well). I personally don't think that the editor programs are reliable enough for this and therefore, I don't use them for this specific purpose.

I am going to mention one program to be used for backing-up your files only. There are others that can be utilized, but this is the one that I am currently using it can be highly trusted by everyone.

This program is FileZilla. It is a FTP and TELNet program that serves to transfer files back and forth between the AZBox and your PC via a NETWORK connection of some type (whatever you have set up and configured).

Use FileZilla or a reasonable and trusted FTP program for the back-up purpose. You don't need an editor at this point, unless it is one that you can rely upon.

It is most important to backup the following three files from the DISK2 folder within your AZBox:

all_channels.dat
antenna_list.dat
DVBS.dat

To back up these files, you need to have some NETWORK communications already configured between your AZBox and your PC. With FileZilla, you can connect to the AZBox and copy these files from the AZBox to the queue. Then TRANSFER the files from the queue into a backup folder or file on your PC. You will have to become adept at using Filezilla in order to know how to navigate this process, but it is really quite forward and simple. Just browse around the Filezilla toolbar and menus and it should be quite user friendly and for the most part, self-explanatory. There are help dialogs to rely upon as well (as you go).

Backing up just these three files should be fairly easy. To restore them to the AZBox when needed, the process is simply the reverse. This really is extremely user friendly and easy to figure out. It is basically just cut and paste from AZBox to PC and back.

I will leave setting up the Filezilla program and the NETWORKING to you. I am only explaining what to do afterwards.

Now, there are some other files that I think we should be able to back-up here, but I have to do some investigation to determine the specifics. I think that we should be able to save all the NETWORKING connection information and setup as well, but I don't know what files and folders to capture and back-up this information from are. Or if it is actually possible, I think so, but since I have not done so myself, I will need to learn.

The files that we have backed-up so far all have to deal with our saved satellites and TPs and channels. This is a good rough start.

RADAR

Updating your AZBox firmware via USB

Updating the AZBox firmware via USB is the most trusted and sure method. However, it requires more steps to do so. It is relatively simple, if you know what to expect from the start. I will lead you through the process here, step-by-step.

1] Download the firmware to your PC (all AZBoxes use the same firmware) . I recommend that you create a folder for AZBox IMAGE FILES and individual folders within that main folder for each firmware version. This is for archiving purposes, but not entirely necessary. I save all the firmware files simply for my own personal reasons - mainly to have a backup set of files for myself so that I don't have to go and retrieve them again from the original source.

2] Copy and paste the firmware you wish to update your AZBox with to a USB flash memory stick and rename the file on that device as "patch". NOTE: You may need to rename the file as patch.bin, but do not do so unless the AZBOx does not recognize the patch file when named simply "patch". The LINUX operating system is a little picky about the filename format, so be careful here. No harm will become of anything if you rename the firmware file incorrectly, it (the file) will simply not be recognized by the AZBox and nothing will happen - no harm and no foul.

3] Now that the firmware file is copied to the USB drive and renamed "patch", remove the USB drive from the PC and insert it into the USB port of the AZBox.

4] Press and hold the STB POWER button on the remote for the AZBox until it enters the REBOOT mode (hold the button down for 4-5 seconds).

5] When the AZBox reboots, somewhere during the process, it will read the USB drive and should identify the new patch file automatically. If and when it does, the AZBox will present you with an option menu of what to do next. This menu will contain the following five options:

1) USB
2) NETWORK
3) OTA
4) Format Application Area
5) Boot without updating

6] Since we wish to update via the USB flash memory drive, point the arrow at option #1 (USB) and press OK.

7] You will be shown the current firmware version within your AZBox AND the new version found on the USB drive. You will be offered the option to update to the new version found. Press OK to update from USB and sit back and wait.

8] The rest of the process will be conducted automatically by the AZBox. Do not interfere with the process, just let it do its thing, which will require a few minutes.

9] When done, your AZBox should take you rigt back to the same message (option menu) as seen in step #5.

10] At this point, chose option #5 "REBOOT W/O UPDATING". You have already updated, so no need to repeat it again.

11] After this second "reboot" is complete, you may remove the USB drive from the AZBox and you will be finished with the process.

NOTE: If you don't like to remove the USB device "hot" then simply power off the AZBox and remove the USB flash drive and then power the box back on.

That is all there is too it. We are done with the update process.

RADAR

Last edited:
Updating your AZBox firmware via Internet (NETWORK)

This approach to updating your AZBox is very simple. A few steps are eliminated, but you do have to wait for the file to download, just as you would from a site that offers the firmware to be downloaded to your PC. Therefore, you will have to wait for the download time just the same here.

The big difference right off the bat, is that only the official AZBox released firmwares will appear on the Update List. You cannot download any beta versions via this route. Probably best for those who are new to the AZBox.

Here's how to do it via Internet:

1] Press the HOME buttom of the remote and select the SETTINGS tab (or page).

2] Ensure you are on the SYSTEM INFO page and press the ">" arrow button on the remote to navigate to the "FIRMWARE UPGRADE" option line.

3] Use the "<" or ">" buttons to select between USB, INTERNET or ETHERNET options and select "INTERNET".

4] If you are connected to the internet with your AZBox and the proper URL is set up, then a list of "OFFICIAL" AZBox firmware revisions will be displayed from which you may select from.

5] Highlight the version of the firmware that you wish to download (upgrade your AZBox with) and press OK.

6] The version selected will then begin to download. Don't be impatient, this takes quite a long while.

NOTE: I don't like using this method as my internet connection is slow enough as it is and coupled with the slow download process of the AZBox, it seems to drag on forever. I recommend the USB flash drive process. At least with downloading to the PC, if anything goes awry during the download process, you can catch it and it will not affect the AZBox.

7] Once the file is done downloading and installing (this entire process is all automatic and you don't have to do anything) the receiver will reboot and go directly to TV mode (or it should if all went right).

Very nice and simple.

RADAR

Last edited:
Updating your AZBox firmware via USB AND formatting the Application Area

Here we are going to get into the real heavy stuff... Formatting the Application Area.

First note to make is that this procedure is not normally necessary. This procedure doesn't need to be performed unless you are experiencing a miriad of problems and something within the AZBox's OS is really fouled up bad.

However, you should be aware of how to carry out this task, should you ever need or wish to. Again, it isn't all that difficult to do this, but this time there are a lot of extra steps involved. I want to run through this simply so that I and everyone else understands it well. We can always use this as a last resort method to repair and recuperate our AZBox in case of an emergency when nothing else seems to go right.

The first items we must contend with are our Network Settings - setup parameters and addressing. I am going to go to the HOME button on my remote and select the SETTINGS area - Internet and take a look at what I have set up for IP addressing and all the other items. I am in this area now and I am going to write down all my settings as they will all be reset or erased during this process:

NETWORK: WiFi (I have a Premium AZBox)
IP SETTING: STATIC IP (recommended when using FTP)
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.102 (assigned to my AZBox by me)
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1 (this is my router's base address)
DNS1: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (fill this in from the information from your provider if you don't know it.
DNS 2: 0.0.0.0 or just leave blank if you don't know it or if it does not apply.

This is all the information that you should have set up previously to get the WiFi or the WIRED NETWORK to connect. If nothing is recorded here (all zeros) then you haven't set up your NETWORK yet and should do so. After writing down all the information from above for later use, we may continue.

Here, we are simply starting with the basic instructions from loading a new firmware via the USB, but we need to take a detour somewhere in the midst of the process. Let's start with the USB instructions that I mentioned earlier, then I will branch off when necessary.

1] Download the firmware to your PC (all AZBOxes use the same firmware). I recommend that you create a folder for AZBox IMAGE FILES and individual folders within that main folder for each firmware. This is for archiving purposes, but not entirely necessary. I save all the firmware files simply for my own personal reasons. Mainly to keep an archive of backups.

2] Copy and paste the firmware you wish to update your AZBox with to a USB flash memory stick and rename the file on that device as "patch". NOTE: You may need to rename the file as patch.bin, but do not do so unless the AZBOx does not recognize the patch file when named simply "patch". The LINUX operating system is a little picky about the filename format, so be careful here. No harm will become of anything if you rename the firmware file incorrectly, it (the file) will simply not be recognized by the AZBox and nothing will happen - no harm and no foul.

3] Now that the firmware file is copied to the USB drive and renamed "patch", remove the USB drive from the PC and insert it into the USB port of the AZBox.

4] Press and hold the STB POWER button on the remote for the AZBox until it enters the REBOOT mode (4-5 seconds).

5] When the AZBox reboots, somewhere during the process, it will read the USB drive and should identify the new patch file automatically. If and when it does, the AZBox will present you with an option menu of what to do next. This menu will contain the following five options:

1) USB
2) NETWORK
3) OTA
4) Format Application Area
5) Boot without updating

6] This time around, we will select option #4, Format Application Area. Select that option and press OK.

7] I position the cursor or arrow at option #4 (format the application area) and press OK. I am prompted to press OK to confirm this selection, so press OK and the application area will be formatted.

8] Formatting the application area is fast and it is now complete, I am next prompted to press the EXIT button to return to the previous menu. So press EXIT.

9] Now that I am back to the UPGRADE menu, I see the same five options to select from, now I am going to select option #1, upgrade via USB and continue as I did from step #6.

10] I DO want to upgrade to the "patch" file found on my USB device, so I press OK.

11] My AZBox is now extracting all the features to install. And I am waiting....

NOTE: DO NOT turn the power OFF during this process! I don't know what may happen, but just don't do it. If you do, you are on your own! :eek:

NOTE: I could be watching TV right now, but I wanted to experiment and compose this set of instructions for my friends at: SatelliteGuys.us! :)

Go Guys (and Gals, too! ;)).

12] When the process is finished, you will be returned to the option menu. Now select option #5 (Boot without update).

13] This process (because of the formatting of the application area) will erase all our user settings, so now we are starting entirely from scratch.

14] The first item we need to contend with is not having any display on our TV. This is because the system has reverted to factory defaults and unless your TV and entertainment center matches these defaults, you will have no picture/video to view.

15] First step to recover from this is to reset our resolution settings. Observe the front panel display of the AZBox. It should say "SETTINGS".

16] Press the remote button labeled "resolution" once. The FPD (front panel display) on the AZBox should present COMPOSITE.

17] Press the < or > arrow buttons to navigate between the output video connections that will be used. Your choices are: COMPOSITE, COMPONENT, SCART and HDMI. Stop on the option that you are going to use and press OK.

18] Once you have selected the output type in step #17 you will be prompted to select either PAL or NTSC. The display should default to PAL, but press the < or > buttons on the remote and you may toggle between these two selections. Select the one that is appropriate for your setup and press OK.

19] I selected NTSC and pressed OK. Now I have new options for my resolution.

20] 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. I stop on 1080i as that fits my TV format and I press OK. Now the "settings" menu appears on my TV screen. Select what resolution is appropriate for your own equipment.

21] Now, I have a bunch of items to reset as all have been reset to factory default selections. I will simply go down the list as it is presented.

22] Language/Time: The language for all parameters are default to ENGLISH, so I don't need to adjust them, but my time is incorrect.

23] TIME: I use the > button to navigate over to the selection area and the up/down arrow buttons to navigate to the slection I wish to adjust.

24] I highlight the DATE STYLE and change this to "AMERICAN".

25] I highlight the TIME STYLE and change it to "24 hour format". You slect which you like to use best.

26] I scroll down to TIME OFFSET and set it to GMT -6.00 hours (which will be correct for central time zone).

27] I scroll down to Daylight Saving Time" and select NO as this is now standard time here and not DST.

28] Now, I want to synchronize my time clock with the rest of the world, so I scroll UP to AUTO SYNCHRONIZE option and select INTERNET. When I select OK, the AZBox will go to a specific URL and update my box's internal clock with the internet clock from a specific URL. Press the GREEN button on the remote to select or update/edit that URL if needed.

29] Oh! Guess what! This feature failed! Why? Because I failed to set up my internet connection after formatting the application area. The connection was reset and I have to go back and restore it all.

Let's depart for a moment and set the internet connection back up back up the way it was and then we'll return to the point we left off here.

RADAR

Last edited:
Restoring Internet Connections

I hope you are all aware of how to set up your internet connections from the get-go. I don't wish to explain that here as there are too many items to cover. However, if you were connected previously, not all we need to do is restore the connection.

This is why I mentioned writing down all the addressing items earlier.

Now, let's ty to restore my connection.

1] First I need to go to SETTINGS > INTERNET.

I see that my system (AZBox) has defaulted to a WIRED NETWORK and DYNAMIC (DHCP) protocol. I wish to use STATIC and WiFi.

2] It is best if you start with a "WIRED" network connection first. Therefore, I am going to reconnect an Ethernet cable between my router and my AZBox.

3] It is recommended to utilize a STATIC IP ADDRESS if you intend to use FTP and TELNET (or so that is what I have been informed). I do so and have no problems communicating this way.

4] I am back at my INTERNET SETUP menu within my AZBOX. I am going to select WIRED NETWORK and STATIC IP. Next, I need to fill in the blanks once again as they have all defaulted to 0.0.0.0

5] Somewhere back long ago, I stated to record these addresses and now is when we need them. Enter the information as necessary for IP address, SUBNET MASK, GATEWAY and DNS1. You may not require DNS2.

6] Once you have set all these addresses up, highlight SETUP and press OK.

7] It should connect just fine. If not, we will have to take a further discussion about NETWORKING on later.

8] Let us say that all went without a hitch in step #7 and continue.

9] Now, I wish to use the WIFI connection to my AZBox Premium, so I am going to alter one setup parameter.

10] I am simply going to remove the hard-wired Ethernet cable from my AZBox and and in the INTERNET MENU, I am going to change the selection from WIRED to WIFI.

11] The moment I did this, my AZBox began searching for "wireless connections" that were available and in range.

12] It found my wireless Linksys router and it (my AZBox knows that it is an encrypted connection) displayed... "This WIFI requires Security Encryption Key".

13] If I press the > button, it takes me to the identified encryption option.

14] If I press > once again, I enter the field to type in the required encryption key.

15] I type in my encryption KEY and press OK. Now the button on my menu display "CONNECT" is highlighted. I press OK to connect.

16] I am taken back to the menu screen for the internet setup. I still need to fully setup this internet connection.

17] I highlight the "SETUP button on the TV screen and press OK. This sometimes requires a bit of time..... and possibly more than one try, but once connected, it will inform you that the connection is completed. Once connected it will inform you that it has been successful.

18] OK, I am done with that, now I may return to where we left off in the previous post.

RADAR

Last edited:
(CONTINUED) Updating your AZBox firmware via USB AND formatting the Application Area

Starting anew from step #29 in post #5 we will continue.

30] Ok, let me once again attempt to sync my clock within the AZBox with the real world.

31] This time it connects and establishes a second by second accuracy for the clock. Cool!

I am going to continue this subject in the next post. Hang on to your britches! :)

RADAR

Last edited:
Updating your AZBox firmware via USB AND formatting the Application Area

Now, allow us to continue onward.

The next thing you are going to notice is an error message that "CAN'T FIND CHANNEL LIST". Well, of course it cannot be found. We deleted it when we formatted the application area, we deleted everything and started from scratch. So now, we need to restore our channel list.

At the very beginning of all this, I discussed how to backup certain files. Now is when we need to restore them.

The first thing you need to do now is access the HOME page of the AZBox and access the NETWORK service menu. Highlight all the applications in this menu and set them to ENABLED. The ones you will actually need are SSHD, FTP Server and Telnet server.

FIle Server and Dynamic DNS require setup entries, but don't worry about them for this application. They may even remain disabled and you should not need them in most cases. I haven't got to the point of using these yet, so I cannot explain them here.

Open the Filezilla application once again and connect to the AZBox. Locate the files that I told you to backup earlier, in the first post...

Tap each one and send them to the transfer queue and then copy the transfer queue from the PC to the AZBox.

We are done and all items are completed! We may return to watching TV now.

I am glad that we are done with this as formatting the application area is not all that much fun!

But, Now you have stepped through it with me and it isn't really all that bad. Just a lot of steps.

Formatting the Application area is only necessary when things go really wrong - and they generally don't. Otherwise, it is not normally required. Once there was a revision in the firmware that required you to perform this step, but I think it was a one time thing. It is a good thing to know how to do this if you ever do need it. So, therefore, here it is.

RADAR

Last edited:
This discussion is open to comments, suggestions, critisms and other discussions.

Did I do alright? If I have made any mistakes, please jump in right away and correct me. If you like my writeup and it helps you, just give a thumbs up or comment. I hope I did well and I hope I did it accurately as this took longer than I expected. I want it to be good.

RADAR

Last edited:
You did a h*ll of alot of writing!! And you should be widely & universally thanked.
Santa just might get me an elite for x-mas & now I have a place to start...

Thanks Bassist, Cadsulfide and Putney!

I sincerely appreciate your positive comments.

I hope that I recorded everything properly and that there are no errors. If you have detected anything incorrect or even worded poorly, please let me know so that it can be corrected. Anything that should be added?

RADAR

EMERGENCY FLASH PROCEDURE

This is a copy and paste of the emergency flash instructions from AZBox administration on their technical forum. I thought that I should include it here. AZ_Magic is the author.

How To Reflash the box without acess to MENU -> EMERGENCY FLASH

This procedure should be used ONLY in case that was not possible access to Menu.

1) Download a new firmware from the Azbox web site. (Format of software should be patch.bin)
2) Copy the firmware file to your USB memory stick.
3) Insert the USB memory stick into the USB port of the digital receiver.
4) Power OFF and POWER ON the reciever with the USB Memory INSIDE.
5) Wait for instructions on VFD or in screen. If you cannot see anything on TV screen use RCA or scart (not HDMI)
6) If every thing is ok The receiver will install new Software and you can recovery back the control of your receiver.

AND IF YOU CANNOT GO TO TO BOOT MENU (STEP 5), or if your box STAY all time on booting phase, reboot it and when saw Checking ... on VFD press several times the button OK until go to BOOT MENU.

BE CAREFULL NEVER DO THIS OPERATION WITH A NTFS HDD PLUGGED!

!!!! NEVER POWER OFF OR REBOOT DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS!!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE
Your USB memory must be formatted in the FAT file system. Otherwise, the digital receiver cannot recognize your USB memory. In addition, the digital receiver can only recognize files and directories which are named with only alphabetic, numeric and underscore letters. If there is a file or folder named with other letters, the digital receiver cannot recognize not only it but also its subsequent files and folders.

This is another post from the same source, but authored by "pr2". It is essentially the same thing, but with a slightly different angle.

This tuto will explain you how to upgrade your Azbox without any display on TV.

1°) Format an USB key to FAT/FAT32.
2°) Copy the file: patch.bin (of the latest official firmware available) at the root of your USB key.
3°) Insert the key into one of 2 Azbox USB port.
4°) Turn on the Azbox (or reboot it).
5°) Wait for: UPDATE:USB on the front panel VFD display
6°) Press the OK button
The following text will appears:
USB FOUND
PATCH, OK?
7°) Press OK
then you will see:
EXTRACTING
[1/4] xxx%
[2/4] xxx%
[3/4] xxx%
[4/4] xxx%
REBOOT
CHECKING...
UPDATE:USB
8°) Use the down arrow until you see: BOOT NOW and press OK button.

Than SETTINGS is displayed.

Your Azbox has just restart and its equipped with the latest available firmware.

Press USB button on your RCU and unplug the USB key.

RADAR

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)