Upgrade 622 w/ext. hard disk to hopper?

TFLeonard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
For the past few days, the video seems to be weak on my 622DVR, (it either doesn't display at all or it looks a bit like tracing paper is over it). I can fix it so far by turning the DVR on and off and on for a while and then the picture looks fine. I suspect that it might be some part that's about the die.

Anyway, if that's the case I'm concerned about the recordings I have on my external hard disk. Can I use that hard disk intact on a new DVR, such as a Hopper?

The other wrinkle I have is that I have a three dish setup controlled by I believe a dishpro SW44. Can I simply plug a new Hopper (and perhaps Joey) into the coax and have it work like it always did, or do I need a new combo dish to replace everything?

Yes, the EHD will transfer from the 622's EHD to a Hopper so long as they are o nthe same account.

No, the Hopper requires a node and has a little different setup. DPP equipment is also required, but we will require install anyways if you get the Hopper

Reactions: ChadT41
Yes, the EHD will transfer from the 622's EHD to a Hopper so long as they are o nthe same account.

No, the Hopper requires a node and has a little different setup. DPP equipment is also required, but we will require install anyways if you get the Hopper

So If I cannot get the Hopper from you without your tech, is there an alternative DVR that I can upgrade to that doesn't require a Dish tech?

So If I cannot get the Hopper from you without your tech, is there an alternative DVR that I can upgrade to that doesn't require a Dish tech?

Unfortunately there is not. We look at the 622/722/722k as the same receiver family in our system and cannot specify which you get. The Hopper would be the only upgrade option

Not really. You can buy a sling adapter and "upgrade" to a 722, but there is the likely chance that will require a tech as well. Your best option for avoiding the tech would to be to purchase a receiver such as a 722 from satellitesolutions.com or dishdepot.com or amazon.

Can I swap out the 622 for the 922K and not have to mess around with my switch and dishes?

You could buy a Hopper and associated parts and do a self install, but I gather that is not your strong suit.

You could buy a Hopper and associated parts and do a self install, but I gather that is not your strong suit.

Well, yes and no. I'm not about to remove or install dish(s) myself, but I can certainly swap out a switch, LNB or receiver. How do I plug my existing three dishes with three Dish Pro LNB's into a Hopper node?

Well, yes and no. I'm not about to remove or install dish(s) myself, but I can certainly swap out a switch, LNB or receiver. How do I plug my existing three dishes with three Dish Pro LNB's into a Hopper node?

You would need to feed your 3 LNB's into either a DPP33 or a DPP44 then on to the node.

Why your aversion to a tech visit? No real advantage to purchasing over leasing, and you're not out the cash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts