Upgrade Advice - 722k to Hopper

Smartkid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
New Jersey
Hi everyone,

I've been a forum member for over 9 years and a DISH customer for more than 20 years. Every time I come here with a problem or question, you guys always help me get to the right answer!

I've been happy with my DISH service but recently purchased an additional TV and looked at my cable bill (on autopay) and realized that the monthly fees have gone up by almost $40 since I went off contract (which has been several years). I was going to contact customer loyalty to hit me up from some discounts and figure out how to most inexpensively get service on the new TV. I looked online to see what the latest customer offers are and realized that options have really changed since then. I'm thinking it is a good time for me to consider upgrading (if I can manage it for free as an existing customer).

Here's my current situation. I'm looking for some guidance from the rest of the group.

Current Service:
Dish America Silver $62.99 (grandfathered, had started off at $39.99)
Local Channels $12.00 (was not originally charged for those)
Hindi Mega Pack: $54.99
DVR: $7.00
Total Bill: $136.98
Equipment: VIP 722k Duo
1 HDTV and 1 SDTV (its actually an old HDTV without HDMI so the connected via coax)

My monthly bill says that I am eligible for an upgrade to the Hopper 2. I've read on this forum that Hopper 3 is what I need to ask for. I also gather than the "new" Hopper Duo are just re-purposed 722ks?

If I was a new customer on a 2yr contract, this is what I would end up with:
Americas Top 120: $59.99
Hindi Mega Pack: $44.99
Hopper 3: $10
2 Joeys: $10
Total Bill: $124.98
Equipment: Hopper 3, 2 Joeys
2 HDTVs and 1 SDTV (its actually an old HDTV). No 4K TVs at the moment

Without any new customer incentives (assuming I do not get any loyalty incentives), I would get:
Americas Top 120: $74.99
Hindi Mega Pack: $54.99
Hopper 3: $15
2 Joeys: $14
Total Bill: $158.98
In this scenario, my bill would go up by more than $20 (although I'd also be servicing a 3rd TV)

So my questions:
1. How do I avoid the third scenario, which I think would not be a good outcome?
2. Am I correct in trying to target the Hopper 3 over the Hopper Duo?
3. If I never watch the second TV (basement - with no HDMI) and the third TV (HDMI) at the same time, could I cut down the Joey costs by using a splitter to mirror the service or access DA through a Fire device?
4. What's my best opportunity to get a good deal? Chat? Call? Does DIRT help with this stuff?
5. I have recordings on an EHD - will I be able to access them on my future Hopper?
6. Are the wireless and wired Joey's both equally good?
7. Does the Voice Remote come with all Hoppers or is that something else I need to negotiate?

I've read this recent thread and sounds like I do not want to get stuck with an old Hopper 2:
Needs tips for new installation today

Thanks!

If you’ve had that setup for a few years and haven’t been late paying bills and not getting ridiculous discounts throughout, you should be able to qualify for atleast a $20/12 month. I’m not sure if the preferred customer offer is still available, but if it is, that will help for 2 years. Unfortunately, no one here can tell you what your upgrade fee would be, but maximum $150. I preferred a Wired Joey3 over wireless Joeys, and I personally am not a fan of the 4K Joey, although I feel I am in a minority there. H2 and H3 should come with a 54.0 remote(same with Joeys).

Reactions: HipKat
Thanks - That's what I am trying to figure out really. I've read alot of threads here about people saying the Duo is not really "new" and that the H3 is the best technology available. The DVR space on the Duo is definitely low, it can only record 2 things at once, and it doesn't support 4K (which I don't have) but it would be $5 less in fees per month. I've really been under a rock that past several years with the DISH enhancements and I know that I'm locked in once I upgrade so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks - That's what I am trying to figure out really. I've read alot of threads here about people saying the Duo is not really "new" and that the H3 is the best technology available. The DVR space on the Duo is definitely low, it can only record 2 things at once, and it doesn't support 4K (which I don't have) but it would be $5 less in fees per month. I've really been under a rock that past several years with the DISH enhancements and I know that I'm locked in once I upgrade so I want to make the right decision.
Call retention and see what is offered, you don't have to accept the offer. It will at least give you a starting point.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Call retention and see what is offered, you don't have to accept the offer. It will at least give you a starting point.

I just called and explained my situation to them. They recommended that I add another 722k receiver to cover the 3rd TV my bill would go up by $14 a month. I could keep the same programming and would need to sign-up for a 24 month commitment. There would not be any customer loyalty discounts. They also said that I do not qualify for the H3 but could pay a $100 upgrade fee for the H2 (even though my most recent bill says that I can get the H2 upgrade free).

I then tried chat (just typing "upgrade" and not "retention" in the prompt) and they offered the H3 for $100 and said my monthly bill would increase by $29 and I would need to sign-up for a 24 month commitment.

The CSR roulette is the only one thing that I do not like about DISH. I don't want to threaten to cancel just to try to squeeze out a good deal. My account is in good standing (and on autopay) and I think I've been off-contract for several years. I think I might have better luck with the CSRs on weekdays. I'll also reach out to DIRT as I assume they would also have access to my account history. Unfortunately, there's not much account history information on myDish.com that I can access.

A second 722 would be $17. If you have the 722 already, you’d see $15 for the DVR fee and $7 for each joey. Subtract the DVR fee you’re paying now from the $22 or $29(if three TVs). You would not see an increase of $29. They just don’t know how to math.

Reactions: HipKat
A second 722 would be $17. If you have the 722 already, you’d see $15 for the DVR fee and $7 for each joey. Subtract the DVR fee you’re paying now from the $22 or $29(if three TVs). You would not see an increase of $29. They just don’t know how to math.

Yeah my point exactly on the CSR roulette.

I have a $7 DVR fee at the moment (but 2 TVs serviced) - so they are saying Option 1 with a second 722 gets me to $21 a month.
Option 2 from the chat would be as you said: $15 for the H3 plus $14 for two Joeys less the $7 that I pay now is a $22 overall increase.
This implies the H3 upgrade costs an extra $100 plus $6 per month for me. I would try to maybe eliminate the second Joey using DA on a Fire Stick.

$24. $17+$7 DVR fee for option 1. Option 2 is $29. $15 DVR fee+$7(x2). You’d see an increase of $17 or $22. For the $5 difference, for with the H3.
Alternatively, you can do a 612 for a $10 increase, or a 211 with an EHd(one time $40 fee for DVR) for a $7 increase. I would still go with H3

Got it - Yes probably doesn't make sense for me to continue with these old 722s and lock myself into a 2 year commitment when Hoppers are the way of the future.

Now I just need to figure out whether I can get the preferred customer offer and incentives that you mentioned in your first reply to me!

Got it - Yes probably doesn't make sense for me to continue with these old 722s and lock myself into a 2 year commitment when Hoppers are the way of the future.

Now I just need to figure out whether I can get the preferred customer offer and incentives that you mentioned in your first reply to me!
Like Chad said above, you could add a ViP612 for only $10 per month more. If you purchase the ViP612, there would be no contract and no commitment. That might tide you over until some point in the future when you would qualify for a free upgrade to a Hopper system without the $100 upgrade fee that Dish quoted you. I have a purchased ViP612 that I am not using, if you want it.

My parents are in a similar situation. They have a 722k and 2x211s (non dvr) since 2011. I got them the deal from this forum by talking to a DiRT member. The 722k and 211s are fine, but they are just outdated and its time for a change. They've been customers since 2004. Is DIRT still on here? I do not (and will not) use Facebook but I do have Twitter if need be. I think a single Hopper 3 with 2 Joeys would be perfect. Right now the hardware fees are $21 per month.

The same DIRT team is on Twitter. I don’t think they are monitoring this board anymore, and if they are, it’s absolutely minimal. You can also get them at the communities webpage on the dish site. It’s all the same members, including Facebook.

Reactions: charlesrshell