Upgrade from broken SD receiver to HD for free (or really cheap)?

GreeneDish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Central VA
I have a broken 12 year old SD receiver that I would like to replace/upgrade to a single HD receiver. The problem is that with the new equipment coming out before too long, I do not want to put in any money or re-start a contract. Dish was no help as they say my equipment coverage only covers a replacement of the same type and my only options are to buy one for $125 or replace all my equipment for free and sign a 2 year agreement. Is there any option here? As I said, I do not want to start a new contract and spending $125 on a receiver that will be replaced in 6 months or so seems silly. The reason for the switch to HD is that I no longer have a SD TV in that location so a SD receiver becomes obsolete. Is there a market of cheap used HD receivers out there? If so, are they safe to purchase from?

[FONT=&quot]If you didn't want to go with the contract, then you could purchase a receiver. Before purchasing you are going to want to get the receiver number (R00/R01) and call to make sure that the receivers are okay to transfer to your account. Leased receivers and ones with outstanding balances would not be able to transfer to your account[/FONT]

OK, thanks.
I guess I will either wait till the new stuff comes out or try to find one used somewhere.

New stuff? If you aren't willing or just can't spend somewhere around $99 now to upgrade, doubtful you will want to spend the bucks on any new receivers. The only "new" receiver out, the 922 costs $200 above any other costs. There will be a whole home receiver, again doubtful you will want to spend bucks on that.

Contact one of the Dish representatives here, and ask them to look at your account and get an accurate cost to upgrade to HD. It may not be much.

The reason I do not want to spend the money now is that I am hoping the whole house system comes out within a year and I would shift to that. If it does, I do not see buying a new receiver now for only 6 to 12 months use. I already have a Duo HD DVR and three SD receivers. I am just trying to replace one broken unit under the service plan and was hoping I could go from SD to HD at the same time for no additional cost.

Well that information would have been helpful!! :) :) lol With that further information, I would wait for the receivers you want, and upgrade and sign a new contract then. But I still think you should contact an agent here. If you are out of contract, they may very well send you an HD receiver to replace the SD one without you buying it. They know you can go to another provider (not that you will) and you have alot of equipment. If you have paid pretty much on time there is always the chance of getting a 211K or VIP 612. Your first post read as you have only that one receiver, with no HD service now.

How about more information? Central Va says there is a chance you should be Eastern Arc. What model receiver has failed? What other receivers do you have model #s? What dish do you have?

I have a three LNB dish, VIP622, and three other boxes I am not sure the model numbers of (I can post them when I get home). The one that is failing is the original one I bought 12 years ago when I started with Dish. Yes I am out of contract and have been for about 8 years.

OK, what I have is a VIP622 feeding two TV's, a DP301, a model 3700 (works most of the time) and a model 2700 that only occasionally works. The 2700 is the one that I am trying to replace. As I said, this is a "temporary" solution as now that I have HD TV's in all locations I want to go that route. When this unit started failing about 6 months ago I briefly considered switching companies for that reason. Fortunatly, I heard that Dish was going to come out with their own version. Overall, I have been happy with Dish and am willing to wait. The reason for wanting to get this unit fixed/replaced now is that my daughter is home from Alaska for the summer and really wants her HD TV.
Tampa8, you said you thought I should contact an agent here. How would I go about doing that?

Just Private message one of them here on the fourm and they'll be glad to help you out. I can tell you that the 301 and the 3700 will also need to be replaced sometime in the near future (I'll guess and say about 1 year) as Dish is upgrading to new technology that's already being used for HD channels. I could explain it to you more, but it gets pretty technical from that point forward.

Hopefully the XIP series will be out before then and I will be upgrading everything.
You never did answer the question about your location. If you have been with DISH that long you should know that no DISH receiver works correctly until it is about a year old and gone through it's BETA TESTING IN CUSTOMERS HOMES . You have a year to eighteen months before you want a XIP. DISH has been offering free upgrades to Eastern Arc with a 24 mo. contract you will get your antiques replaced and run out of contract about the time the XIPs become useable.

I am in Greene County (Ruckersville) and I really do not want to go with a contract. If I wanted to enter into a contract to get upgraded I could go to the other company and get whole house now. I would rather wait for Dish and then do a contract if needed. I do not mind going with new equipment and technology. That is what I do for a living and have always had pretty good luck. I got one of the early VIP622's and even though others reported issues, I never had any major issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about a contract if you're a long time customer. I've been with Dish over twelve years and I signed a contract in Jan to save the $10 HD charge. Yah I know, had I waited about two weeks I"d have gotten that for free! But my point is about asking a couple weeks ago to get another 211 after my other HD set was fixed. They sent a 211 out with a technician to install it at no charge and just signed me up for another contract.

The reason for not wanting a contract now was to save it for the whole house upgrade. I guess I could upgrade everything to HD now and not worry about the whole house issue but it would still leave me with one HD TV getting a SD signal due to the 622 TV2 output. Not really a deal breaker, more a minor irritation.
If I were to go this route, I have a SD TV outside that I occasionally move one of the receivers out to. Does anyone know how a HD receiver looks displayed on a SD TV?
Also, will Dish just send me the receivers and let me install them or do I have to have their installer come out?

OK, let's try something a little different.
If I were to keep the VIP622, drop the three old units and go with a VIP922, what would my upgrade cost be?
Also, what is included in "Basic Installation"?
If I did this it would require running two new cables from the switches in the basement to a inner wall on the second floor.
When the 622 was installed, the guy drilled two holes straight through the floor because he said they could not go through walls.
I really do not want cables run on the outside of walls inside the house or holes drilled through two floors.

Hey greenedish,
To get you the correct info on everything, I would just need you to PM me or any of the DIRT members your account number or phone number so we can look it up for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)