Upgrade from Dish 508 to 721

gasman882001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Houston, Tx
I currently have two 508 receivers in my house. I Am thinking about replacing one of the 508's with a refirb. 721 so that my wife can record two shows at a time and then watch something recorded previously. I am not interested in HD at this time so that is why I am looking at the 721's(no monthly pvr fee). My question is this.

Should I be able to just unplug/deactivate the one 508 and just plug the 721 in and activate and be ready to go or do I need to have additional equipment installed for this line?

Any help would be appreciated.

BobaBird said:
Or you can replace whatever's on your dish with a DishPro Plus Twin and get a DPP Separator for the 721. No additional line needed.
Correct, *if* your cabling supports the higher frequencies required to use DishPro. Last summer I tried to replace my Legacy Twin LNBF with a DishPro Twin and DP34 switch to get the three lines I needed for a 508 and 721 (721 did not support DishPro Plus at that time). I could not get this to work, even though the original install used sweep-tested RG6 cable. I ended up having to get a Legacy Quad LNBF and run a 2nd line to the 721.

Just keep this in mind if you are considering upgrading and are not already using DishPro equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts