Upgrade Offer - Is it good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hamm3r

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
I have 3 HR10-250's, 1 Samsung HD receiver and 1 older Hughes DVR. I'm in the Philly local area; home in Newark DE. I've been receiving New York HD locals since the HR10 HD equip couldn't handle the MPEG4 philly HD content for which I've had no complaint. Also recieve standard philly locals so its best of both worlds. A few weeks back I got Superfan waved and free HD for a year to renew both Sunday Ticket w/ SF as well as renewed ESPN Gameplan. I've had no troubles w/ *D and have been content customer.

Was excited as all get out till I heard the new HD channels to start end of August/early September are not compatible w/ my current equipment. Called *D today and got the following offer:

They will install 5 LNB, 3 HR20 700's HD DVR and 1 H20 HD for total of $245. The installer will take away the older HD equipment mentioned above. Sounds like a good deal on the surface but I paid a lot more initially for the HR10-250's. I know technology changes and prices come down but 3 things bothered me.

1) I have lots of stuff on DVR that I haven't viewed yet and won't have time to before new install.

2) I paid a lot more for my HR10's than the $299/ HR20-700 retail price so they can't tell me I'm getting things for free if they take my equipment away.

3) I want to add another receiver into another room as a new connection and they said I can't redeploy 1 of my older HD devices. I have to return all 4 as part of the new install.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a good deal?

I have 3 HR10-250's, 1 Samsung HD receiver and 1 older Hughes DVR. I'm in the Philly local area; home in Newark DE. I've been receiving New York HD locals since the HR10 HD equip couldn't handle the MPEG4 philly HD content for which I've had no complaint. Also recieve standard philly locals so its best of both worlds. A few weeks back I got Superfan waved and free HD for a year to renew both Sunday Ticket w/ SF as well as renewed ESPN Gameplan. I've had no troubles w/ *D and have been content customer.

Was excited as all get out till I heard the new HD channels to start end of August/early September are not compatible w/ my current equipment. Called *D today and got the following offer:

They will install 5 LNB, 3 HR20 700's HD DVR and 1 H20 HD for total of $245. The installer will take away the older HD equipment mentioned above. Sounds like a good deal on the surface but I paid a lot more initially for the HR10-250's. I know technology changes and prices come down but 3 things bothered me.

1) I have lots of stuff on DVR that I haven't viewed yet and won't have time to before new install.

2) I paid a lot more for my HR10's than the $299/ HR20-700 retail price so they can't tell me I'm getting things for free if they take my equipment away.

3) I want to add another receiver into another room as a new connection and they said I can't redeploy 1 of my older HD devices. I have to return all 4 as part of the new install.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a good deal?

You got a great deal !
I paid $200 for JUST my HR20-700.

1. Do you have a DVR or VCR that you could transfer this to ? This is one thing that is not available with the HD DVR.

2. You paid alot more for the original HR10-250, up to $ 1000 (thats where it started. You are getting a very good new MPEG4 technology HD DVR. these are going for anywhere from shipping up to $299.
This is a "Lease" not a owned unit, you pay the price you quoted (very good BTW) and $5 p/m to rent it ... when doing this, if anything happens to,it , it is replaced free of charge.

3. You would not want to keep the older equipment as they would not rec. any of the new channels and have older technology.
Return them and hook up the new stuff, this way you will be set for the future, coming Sooon !!!!

Jimbo

I will be suprised if they actually take your old receivers. Over all I think you received a good deal.

Thanks Jimbo! ...Just would have liked to use MY equipment to add another receiver to a spare bedroom. Wanted to purchase a small HDTV and thought a HR10-250 redeploy would have fit the bill.

Thanks Jimbo! ...Just would have liked to use MY equipment to add another receiver to a spare bedroom. Wanted to purchase a small HDTV and thought a HR10-250 redeploy would have fit the bill.

As Jag just mentioned, they may NOT take it with them, if the installer turns them off, but leaves them. Call D* the next day and tell them you would like to use one of them in a spare bedroom, or you can ask the installer to leave that one on and move it there yourself.

Jimbo

edit:
Come to think of it, you said you paid for the HR10-250 you have, correct ..... I don't think they will take a unit that is owned, they left both of my H10's, now I'm waiting for the deal that is better than $199 for a H20.

For those of you that have H20's, which should I look for, the -600 or -100. I cannot do the new H21 as I need the OTA connection.

Hr20 Ota?

As Jag just mentioned, they may NOT take it with them, if the installer turns them off, but leaves them. Call D* the next day and tell them you would like to use one of them in a spare bedroom, or you can ask the installer to leave that one on and move it there yourself.

Jimbo

edit:
Come to think of it, you said you paid for the HR10-250 you have, correct ..... I don't think they will take a unit that is owned, they left both of my H10's, now I'm waiting for the deal that is better than $199 for a H20.

For those of you that have H20's, which should I look for, the -600 or -100. I cannot do the new H21 as I need the OTA connection.

I'm pondering the upgrade from the HR10-250 Tivo units. Do the HR20 mpeg4 HD DVR have OTA tuners? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this forum, but am leaving for work soon. Would appreciate your response.

Thanks in Advance,

I'm pondering the upgrade from the HR10-250 Tivo units. Do the HR20 mpeg4 HD DVR have OTA tuners? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this forum, but am leaving for work soon. Would appreciate your response.

Thanks in Advance,

Yes. They are quite good too. In some ways a bit tighter then the HR10-250. The only drawback is flexibility around adding some sub-channels. It will only show channels that Directv has defined. Its rare but I've seen some sub channels come out before Directv has them defined in the zip code DMA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)