Upgrade question

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
Hey everyone, I am a longtime dish sub, i currently have a 2H3J system in my house.

This thread is not about me, it is about my parents! They currently have a 512 receiver and a 311 in their RV.

They are remodeling their house and planning on added two HDTVs.

From my perspective, they have 2 upgrade paths. 1) 2 722 receivers. They can put one in the den and one in the living room. They would have 2 HD feeds, and 2 sd feeds for their bedroom(s). The monthly fee for this would be $23 ($6 DVR fee + $17 extra receiver fee). I am not sure what, if any, the upfront fees would be. They could use one of them in their RV when they travel, or add a 211 for the RV.

2)the Hopper system. They could go with a 1H2J system for 3 HD feeds, or a 1H3J system for 4 HD feeds. The monthly fee would be $24 or $31 respectively. The upfront fee would be $100. In order to use it in their RV, they would have to get a 211 and a tailgater. I am not sure if it would have to be on a separate account or together.

The advantage of the Hopper system is that they would have whole house capability and be able to take advantage of PTAT and Autohop.

Please let me know if I am missing anything or have my fees incorrect. TIA for your help.

The 722 upgrade path will most likely be less expensive up front and is cheaper per month but the Hopper system provides more.

The 722 upgrade path will most likely be less expensive up front and is cheaper per month but the Hopper system provides more.

The Hopper/Joey provides more unless they are like my wife and I who often want to watch different programming while in the Motorhome. H/J system with a 211K for their RV does not provide this option. While the 211k can provide signal to multiple sets they will all be the same channel. If this is not an issue for them or the minor cost difference they Scherman is correct H/J provides more features. For the wife and I it just doesn't work. I think Dish moved in the right direction by allowing one 211k on the same account with H/J but hope that at some point the revisit that and change their policy to allow 1 of any model VIP to be on the same account with a H/J.

Thanks for the feedback. I assume since no one corrected me that mi figures were right. :) My parents are actually the opposite. The almost always watch all of their programming together in the same room. They like the idea of MRV, so that they can continue a show in another room.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts