Upgrade questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigShowJoe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
I am scheduled for an install next week to upgrade to an HR34 in my living room and an HR24 in the master bedroom. I currently have an HR20 in the living room and an H20 in the bedroom. These are my only D* receivers. There are currently 4 lines coming from my dish. Two to the HR20, one to the H20, and the 4th one is not terminated and under the house. What will have to be changed for my upgrade? I know the HR34 has one input but with 5 tuners does it require an SWM? What about the HR24? The sales rep asked if I currently had internet to my HR20 which I do via a wireless-g router acting as a wifi bridge from my main wireless-n router. The wireless-g bridge then has ethernet to the HR20. Is that acceptable for the HR34?

I assume D* is competent enough to know what I have now and what I need for the upgrade but I would just like to be educated so that I can confirm when the installer calls.

The HR34 can only use SWM.
So your going to end up with a HR34 and a HR24 total? If so all they will do is switch out the LNB to a SWM. One cable into the house and to the splitter. One cable to the HR34 and one to the HR24

The installer knows that you need SWM for the HR34 so they will have the right equipment. They dont have to change the dish out, just the LNB

Thanks for the info. Yes, I will only have one HR34 and one HR24. So with the SWM, there will never be more than one line coming from the dish itself? After that, just a splitter and straight to the receivers?

So with the SWM, there will never be more than one line coming from the dish itself? After that, just a splitter and straight to the receivers?
There will also be a Power Inserter for the LNB.

Never is a very long time. If you were to get two additional H2xs or another DVR, you would be back with your current setup (legacy LNB with four cables) and a SWiM16 somewhere in/on your house. The SWiM LNB has a limit of eight tuners and you're starting out with seven.

So for my setup: dish to power inserter to splitter to each receiver? That setup could also be split to one more single tuner receiver in the future correct? Do both the HR34 and HR24 each need an internet connection (for on demand, etc.)?

I think I just answered my last question. My order includes the cinema connection kit. That connects to my wireless router correct?

I think I just answered my last question. My order includes the cinema connection kit. That connects to my wireless router correct?
The CCK is the device that connects your DVRs to your existing LAN. Whether that connection is wired or wireless is an entirely different question that only the installer can answer after they have assessed your layout.

So for my setup: dish to power inserter to splitter to each receiver? That setup could also be split to one more single tuner receiver in the future correct? Do both the HR34 and HR24 each need an internet connection (for on demand, etc.)?

actually it goes from LNB to splitter to receivers. One of the outputs on the splitter says "power passing" and the power inserter gets hooked between the splitter and receiver. The PI can be anywhere in that line

example

LNB----cable----splitter output 1---------cable----power inserter-----cable----HR34
-----------------splitter output 2-----------------cable-----------------------HR24

Install was moved up to today and just finished. Everything works great. Love D*. Thanks for all the input guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)