Upgrade required for continued reception of some International Channels...?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Surely a problem for those who have datacaps and/or slow ISP speeds, but the thing that REALLY bothers me with ALL of the live streaming channels currently available on Dish is--yes you can trick-play, but NO DVR recording; NO RECORDING of the streamed content for later viewing nor setting any timers. Instead, you are presented with the "Record Future Airing" (meaning not on this channel, but maybe some time in the future on a NON-streaming channel) or not even that option.

In my situation I can accept the live streams as far as we are keeping internet access pretty much forever, but the whole point or even compelling reason to stay with Dish is the DVR features, and if Dish plans to keep live streaming channels with no recording capabilities, then I really would walk away from Dish because I can get that same diminished experience from watching apps for those live linear channels available on Fire TV. I can't stand to watch those channels on Fire TV (or a Roku) because not only can you not record them, but they don't even offer trick play--at least the ones I have watched.

As far as the streaming services, at least they have the content sitting on their servers ready for you to watch whenever and offer trick-play to some degree, so why would I pay the far more expensive bill for Dish if I don't get full use of DVR features for ALL the channels I pay for?

Say it aint so, Charlie! :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you really need to record streaming content, there are apps out there that capture the stream played on a PC, video and audio, and save it to your pc as an mp4 file. They can capture streams right off your video and sound card.

I think Dish sees the demographic changes in the customer base. Younger people just do not pay for pay TV any longer. The cost does not justify the experience of streaming the things you want when you want them. I never, ever, ever see anyone in their 20's or 30's anymore. Rarely in their 40's and not many in their 50's. Most of my customers are late 60s and up. 70's, 80s and 90s is typical.
The customer base is aging themselves out and I can see Dish using the 5G, the Hopper Plus and more streaming options as a carrot to dangle in front of the younger demographic.

If you really need to record streaming content, there are apps out there that capture the stream played on a PC, video and audio, and save it to your pc as an mp4 file. They can capture streams right off your video and sound card.
The problem for me is I know of those solutions, but I don't want my PC on all the time and the media players for PC's STINK! However, I may download select programming from a streamer (LEGALLY) for playback later, but I won't bother that route now.

Also, times are a changing because younger folk don't have PC's. PC sales are not at all what they used to be. SOME people who need them do have laptops, but the vast majority have mobile devices (meaning their PHONE only; tablet sales are also sad these days) and that's it. Yes, they have the connected device such as Roku or Fire TV, but that is NOT the gateway to recording and saving streamed content, and MOST of those kitty's are not interested in doing that anyway, especially since it requires a PC. The Media PC has seen its best--very limited--days and is virtually GONE today. Tablo etc. is for the esoteric.

The vast majority of people today STILL want a "box" or external "thing-a-ma jig" they can "connect" to their Roku or Fire TV or HDTV and do recording of the Live, linear content or record from Netflix or Huly to watch later before Netflix or Hulu loses the rights to offer that show any longer without using their complicated PC nor have to buy a PC they never wanted or had a use for in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)