Upgrade to Blu Ray or just a Standard DVD?

Depends on the size of the TV. On an average size set, most people don't see any problems. Overall it is not bad, but not the greatest. It is on par with my A35, but not as good as my XA2 or 3930. It does deinterlace and apply 3:2 pulldown correctly. Panasonic is currently working on a few minor issues. The nice thing about the unipher chip is there is alot of room to grow.

Many people set their output on HD players to 480 and let the TV do the work.

S~

Few people realize that the laser lens in a DVD player can get coated with dust. A simple cure for many DVD players, even BluRay players is to buy a $10 dvd/CD disk cleaner. It has a couple of dusting brushes that spin and brush off the lens. If your player functions but stutters and pixelates out at different spots try one of these and you may be surprised at the results.

Now if you are ready for BluRay, go for it. But the results will be mostly realized if your monitor is running at 1080P x 1920, you use HDMI all digital connections and you are using a 40-50" or greater screen size. Without this, your benefits will be limited to the feature sets on BD options. I would not recommend moving to BluRay unless you can do the entire upgrade. If you think you will get the player now and the monitor later, wait. The Players are still in development and if you wait on the whole shebang, you likely get tomorrows technology at tomorrow's lower prices.

I figured it wouldn't but the concept would be cool to use.

Anyone know how well the BD-50 does on upscaling, granted I know since I'm not using HDMI at this point, but when I upgrade how does this player stackup?

All the reviews state it's just as poor with upscaling as the DMP-BD10 and DMP-BD30=bad...

If upscaling is that important to you, consider the Samsung BD-UP5000. It has 7.1 multichannel analog outs, plays Blu-Ray profile 1.1 and most HD DVD's as well. It does *not* currently internally decode DTS-HD HR or DTS-HD MA. Moreover, it does not currently do profile 2.0. However, the Reon upscaling is top notch.

I won't recommend the BH200 for the same reason others declined to recommend the PS3. It lacks multichannel analog outs.

I love how you non Panny owners continue to spout this crap. As we've stated MANY times on here before, the BD30 does just fine at upconverting.

Its funny, the BD30 does just as good as the A2, which many thought was great. I remember all the "well, if anything itll make a great upconvert" during the $99 sale and when people thought HDDVD might die.

Anyways, when you recommended the 5000, you forget to tell him that its $800 right now. Also, when are you guys going to choose one or the other when it comes to price and upconversion? You arent going to get an el cheapo BR player that upconverts like one of the very expensive players. Which is it, price or upconversion? I could care less at this point, 1 outta every 10 of my movies now is a dvd.

Finally, the Panny's are probably the most reliable br players out there, along with the fact Panasonic is very good with updates and fixes. Ill take that over the reon in buggy players any day.

Finally, the Panny's are probably the most reliable br players out there, along with the fact Panasonic is very good with updates and fixes. Ill take that over the reon in buggy players any day.

Tell that to BD10 owners still waiting for the LFE fix.

Elway, the A2 is a good upconverter compared to the other $99 upconverting DVD players that were out at the time. It's not great even compared to the PS3. BTW, how big is your display? You are the only one I've seen consistently defend the Panny's upconversion abilities.

Great=XA2 (Reon) and its clones, A20/A30/A35 (Anchor Bay), Oppo 983 (Anchor Bay), Sammy BD-UP5k (Reon), LG BH200 (Marvell), Denon (Realta) and the newest Pioneer Blu-Ray player (Marvell?).

Elway, the A2 is a good upconverter compared to the other $99 upconverting DVD players that were out at the time. It's not great even compared to the PS3. BTW, how big is your display? You are the only one I've seen consistently defend the Panny's upconversion abilities.

Great=XA2 (Reon) and its clones, A20/A30/A35 (Anchor Bay), Oppo 983 (Anchor Bay), Sammy BD-UP5k (Reon), LG BH200 (Marvell), Denon (Realta) and the newest Pioneer Blu-Ray player (Marvell?).

Simply going by "test" results, players rank
1. Denon 3800 (Realta)
2. Samsung 1200
3. Toshiba XA2 (close, but samsung beat it response time)

The gen 3 Toshibas (30/35) are worse than the Gen2 (A20). A20 scored 63/130 on the HQV test and the Gen3's (30/35) scored 50/130. The two best upconverters are the XA2 and Gen1.

I have both the A35 and the BD30 hooked up to the same projector, and there is no visible difference between the A35 and the BD30. In real world situations, average screen size, etc. most people do not notice. Even Dave said in his review of the 50 that jaggies were only noticable standing right next to the screen.

I intentially left the A2 out of this since it is only 1080i and is not subject to the problems that all of the HD players have faced with upscaling that haven't utilized the Reon and Realta chipsets. You could leave any of these players to output 1080i or better yet, 480i and let a scaler or TV do the work.

Except for the high end manufacturers, I don't think any of the CE companies really care that much about upscaling SD-DVDs. After all, doesn't everyone want consumers to move to HD?

S~

I have both the A35 and the BD30 hooked up to the same projector, and there is no visible difference between the A35 and the BD30. In real world situations, average screen size, etc. most people do not notice. Even Dave said in his review of the 50 that jaggies were only noticable standing right next to the screen.

I have to ask, is the A35 set to 1080i out? 1080p60 is horribly broken on my A20.

I have to ask, is the A35 set to 1080i out? 1080p60 is horribly broken on my A20.

I don't use either player for DVD upscaling. When I have used the 35, I used 24p, which also eliminates most problerms (as long as you don't want to use the menus). I use my Denon 3930 in my HT room and my XA2 in my family room.

S~

My A2 and my BD30 upconvert better than the PS3.

I have a 50" 1080p plasma

To your defending comment, there is a difference between saying its the best and youre wrong or saying it does a fine job. I claim the second, Ive never said it was the best machine out there. I just get miffed when you guys who dont even own yapp on about how bad it it does.

As far as $99 upconverts go, that seems good enough for the majority anyways, its just us guys that argue over the insignificant crap ;)

I may be wrong (and if I am I am sure someone here will correct me :) ) but if you have one of the Onkyo receivers (605, 705, 805, etc) that do the DTS MA audio then they can accept HDMI in and component out and may still handle the upconversion.

Ex: BD 30/50 ---HDMI ---- > Onkyo 605 --- Component 720p/1080i ---> TV

There is a force setting within the receiver. Not sure how well it works as I only used it with the Wii but it's worth a shot

I may be wrong (and if I am I am sure someone here will correct me :) ) but if you have one of the Onkyo receivers (605, 705, 805, etc) that do the DTS MA audio then they can accept HDMI in and component out and may still handle the upconversion.

Ex: BD 30/50 ---HDMI ---- > Onkyo 605 --- Component 720p/1080i ---> TV

There is a force setting within the receiver. Not sure how well it works as I only used it with the Wii but it's worth a shot

You can upconvert (Component in HDMI out). You can't go HDMI in and component out. Component isn't HDCP compliant. I don't think even ONKYO allows that. I know my integra, Lexicon, and Denon don't allow it.

S~

After reading the Home Theater review of the the BD-50 I'm not convinced it's the machine for me. I have a decent size standard DVD collection that I'm not looking to replace w/ the exception of a few titles. It seems this player does things realatively well, but the upscaling may just make me pass. I do have upscaling in my Mitsubishi WS-55711 but I'm not sure I'm real happy w/ it to date on its ability. Maybe this unit could be a try it out and return it if I don't feel it's good enough.

After reading the Home Theater review of the the BD-50 I'm not convinced it's the machine for me. I have a decent size standard DVD collection that I'm not looking to replace w/ the exception of a few titles. It seems this player does things realatively well, but the upscaling may just make me pass. I do have upscaling in my Mitsubishi WS-55711 but I'm not sure I'm real happy w/ it to date on its ability. Maybe this unit could be a try it out and return it if I don't feel it's good enough.

Did you ever have your mits calibrated? Uisng default settings the 711 isn't the best as it accentuates reds. However, after calibration it is really nice. Try using low color temp also if you aren't. It measures pretty close to 6500.

S~

No I didn't have it calibrated but I'll try the low color temp, thanks. I hate to spend $$ on calibration if I'm going to get a HDMI TV at some point, but yes the red push is horrible.

I don't blame you. I might just get a TV first, then get into BD. Good deals on mits DLPS.

S~

The only problem is my DVD is failing so I need that component first. I think we’ll want to have a wall mounted TV so LCD. I was looking at Vizio but they don’t make a 55” but I like the fact they are made in the US.

Surprisingly I'm getting no resistance from the wife to upgrade the DVD/AVR and TV, just need to do it in stages. The only caveat is a new entertainment system (furniture), ah no brainer. I was thinking of a Vizio for TV although I want a 55" and they don't make one. For the AVR I was considering the Denon AVR 888 or 2809CI and maybe the 2500BT DVD or the 3800?. The 3800 has analog inputs which I would need until I can get a TV set w/ HDMI unless the HMDI (only) connection from the 2500 will connect to the AVR (HDMI) and then use component to the TV. I can get a discount on Denon products so my money will go further with that brand but I don’t want to short change myself either. I just found out that my stimulus check is coming next month…so I must spend it right….lol

After further review the 2500bdt DVD doesn't decode all signals so either I upgrade to the 3800 at twice the price or get the AVR that will decode everything like the 2908CI instead of the AVR 888. The Denon's don't have ehternet capability either and don't inidicate they are BD 2.0.

My current system

Mitsubishi WS-55711
Pioneer DVD 414
Denon AVR 3300 (decodes only DTS and 5.1) no HDMI inputs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts