Upgrade to dish hopper with sling but without dvr (1 Viewer)

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
They do have shoppers with the DVR feature deactivated, but to my knowledge, is for only one specific situation. Commercial. I also believe there is a restriction to the commercial accounts, such as a bar or office, not a commercial account such as an apartment complex but I could be making that part up.
That makes perfect sense to me. That sounds like what happens every time I activate my Wally on my account. I am thinking that Dish might accidentally have my account incorrectly flagged as Commercial. This would explain why the model listed on the Diagnostics screen changes to Wally D instead of just Wally (I still have no idea what the D stands for.) and I lose DVR functionality when the Wally is activated. Then, when I deactivate the Wally, the model changes back to Wally and the DVR functionality returns, but it is only capable of receiving OTA channels. So, this means that there is a code somewhere in Dish's system that allows a Wally (on some type of account) with an external hard drive, but with DVR disabled. I have to wonder why someone would want that, except for maybe to have access to the nine-day program guide.

Reactions: TheKrell

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
They do have shoppers with the DVR feature deactivated, but to my knowledge, is for only one specific situation. Commercial. I also believe there is a restriction to the commercial accounts, such as a bar or office, not a commercial account such as an apartment complex but I could be making that part up.
No, they do. Like bars ,for example. One reason to disable the DVR is to inhibit the establishment form recording a game and charging people to watch it on replay

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
No, they do. Like bars ,for example. One reason to disable the DVR is to inhibit the establishment form recording a game and charging people to watch it on replay
Another is a commercial account such as a bar would have zero need for a DVR that wouldn’t violate the agreement. I’m just not 100% if that DVR rule applies to commercial set ups such as an apartment complex.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Do they also do that for Wally on commercial accounts, like the way my account seems to be set up, as I described above? Why would a bar still need the ability to add a hard drive to a DVR-disabled Wally, just for the nine-day program guide perhaps?

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Do they also do that for Wally on commercial accounts, like the way my account seems to be set up, as I described above? Why would a bar still need the ability to add a hard drive to a DVR-disabled Wally, just for the nine-day program guide perhaps?
I'm not sure. I haven't done a Wally on a commercial account yet.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I'm not sure. I haven't done a Wally on a commercial account yet.
Keep me posted. I am not going to call Dish to accuse them of anything unless I know for sure that is what would happen on a "commercial" account. There is definitely something screwed up about my account, though.

Reactions: HipKat

dennispap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
May 9, 2007
Hammond, La.
Yes, those door stops go to people with bad credit and pay-as-you go accounts. THEN, they pair them with a Joey 1 and a Snap.
Hopper /Slings don't get snaps anymore but get paired with Joey 2's.
Hopper 3's are STILL a pain to get someone on a new connect for an older Hopper - and don't even ask this one, but they STILL set up New Connects for Hopper /Slings wit h3 Joeys.... smh
Why did they give up on the snaps with HWS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts