Upgrade to dish hopper with sling but without dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wolfwalker

Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
The world may never know
So to make a quick post I want to use Dish anywhere but to do this I need to upgrade to the hopper. I am looking at the Hopper with sling but don’t need the dvr function of it. Would it be possible to get the hopper with sling but not pay for the dvr and get 1 joey for my parents tv? I will be using an android tv box with dish anywhere for tv. What would the price be if we are able to not get the dvr on the hopper with sling?

Does it include the ability to use Dish anywhere? that is the main feature that I am looking for.
It was originally announced as an upcoming feature when the Wally first came out. Then, those plans were quickly scrapped, apparently, since all references to the Dish Anywhere feature were removed from the Wally user's manual shortly after that.

What are you wanting to do with Dish Anywhere? There is plenty of VOD content on Dish Anywhere, as well as many Live Streaming channels accessible directly through Dish Anywhere, without needing to stream them from your receiver.

It was originally announced as an upcoming feature when the Wally first came out. Then, those plans were quickly scrapped, apparently, since all references to the Dish Anywhere feature were removed from the Wally user's manual shortly after that.

What are you wanting to do with Dish Anywhere? There is plenty of VOD content on Dish Anywhere, as well as many Live Streaming channels accessible directly through Dish Anywhere, without needing to stream them from your receiver.
While that is true they are behind from the receive and there are some channels that I watch that are not available via the streaming option. I also want to use the Android TV app as I have a Xiaomi Mi Box S in my bedroom but it won't give me the option to use live streaming.

how much would it be to have 1 hopper with sling and 1 joey? Currently we have two vip receivers and i think we are paying around $14 for them both.
$22 per month ($15 Hopper DVR fee + $7 Joey fee)

So, you are currently using ViP222k's I assume. I love mine. Dish can have my ViP222k when they can pry it from my cold dead hands.

As Crodrules stated: your DVR service OFF on the 722K is ONLY allowed when Dish is replacing like for like boxes STB's receivers. That is a situation where Dish is honoring its comittment to REPLACE your receiver with a box/receiver with the very same SERVICES you have--or do NOT have--today (IIRC, Dish also turned off DVR function in 522's to replace 322's and a few other odd like for like DVR shut off situations).

Outside of replacing a customer's receiver for as close to a like for like replacement and SERVICES, Dish does NOT offer as upgrade or first install any of its DVR integrated boxes such as the Hoppers boxes with the DVR service shut off--EVER! If you don't want DVR services, then Dish has specific alternatives for those who do NOT want DVR services, and offers its linear ONLY (sometimes convertable to DVR services with an external HDD at your cost and certainly not as fully featured as the Hoppers) boxes/STB's/receivers such as the Wally. There is a Hopper Duo, but that is a DVR.

To answer the question posed in the title of your thread: There isn's any way to do that.

As Crodrules stated: your DVR service OFF on the 722K is ONLY allowed when Dish is replacing like for like boxes STB's receivers. That is a situation where Dish is honoring its comittment to REPLACE your receiver with a box/receiver with the very same SERVICES you have--or do NOT have--today (IIRC, Dish also turned off DVR function in 522's to replace 322's and a few other odd like for like DVR shut off situations).
If I remember correctly, those were a couple of different situations. It wasn't the DVR functionality of the 522's that was shut off, but rather the TV2 output, to convert them from Duo DVR's to Solo DVR's, re-branding them as 512's. I would know, because I still have a couple of them. This was done as a replacement for subscribers who already had an obsolete Solo DVR, since the Duo DVR's otherwise normally came with a higher monthly fee. Dish basically just provided a 522 locked in Single Mode. This was actually a slight upgrade, since the 512 does PIP, which the older Solo DVR's did not do, for no additional monthly cost. The 512 also has a two-hour buffer, which is something that I have not seen on any Dish DVR since.

Similarly, the 322's were converted to Solo Receivers, for non-DVR customers in the above situation, and were re-branded as 311k's.

Apparently, for the DVR-deactivated 722k's, Dish did not feel the need to come up with a new model number for them, but rather just list them as having the DVR service shut off. At one point, when they first started rolling these out, I think there was a slight mix-up that affected my sister's 722k which had already been activated and functioning as a DVR for quite some time. They accidentally shut off her DVR service for several days before the problem was fixed. She still had the nine-day guide during this time, though. I would be curious if the same is true (about the nine-day guide) for someone who is using a 722k that is intended to have its DVR functionality deactivated. If so, then that is also a slight upgrade from a regular 222k.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell

Outside of replacing a customer's receiver for as close to a like for like replacement and SERVICES, Dish does NOT offer as upgrade or first install any of its DVR integrated boxes such as the Hoppers boxes with the DVR service shut off--EVER! If you don't want DVR services, then Dish has specific alternatives for those who do NOT want DVR services, and offers its linear ONLY (sometimes convertable to DVR services with an external HDD at your cost and certainly not as fully featured as the Hoppers) boxes/STB's/receivers such as the Wally. There is a Hopper Duo, but that is a DVR.

To answer the question posed in the title of your thread: There isn's any way to do that.

How about the Hopper 2000? That's pretty useless these days due to performance. Are they still in service? Maybe if Dish removed the DVR functionality, it would be fast enough.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
How about the Hopper 2000? That's pretty useless these days due to performance. Are they still in service? Maybe if Dish removed the DVR functionality, it would be fast enough.
I agree. Like I said recently in another thread, I experimented with a Hopper 2000 with a failed hard drive (thus no DVR functionality). It seemed to perform well enough with the Carbon UI. This was quite awhile ago, so I am sure that even more improvements have been made to the UI since then, as well as the introduction of the Hopper Snap to help speed things up even further.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yes, those door stops go to people with bad credit and pay-as-you go accounts. THEN, they pair them with a Joey 1 and a Snap.
Hopper /Slings don't get snaps anymore but get paired with Joey 2's.
Hopper 3's are STILL a pain to get someone on a new connect for an older Hopper - and don't even ask this one, but they STILL set up New Connects for Hopper /Slings wit h3 Joeys.... smh

- and don't even ask this one, but they STILL set up New Connects for Hopper /Slings with 3 Joeys.... smh
I am assuming that I corrected your typo correctly above. Otherwise, it reads like you are questioning why a HWS would be set up with a Joey 3. :D

Actually, I see no real need to restrict the Hopper Duo to only one Joey, if someone wants another Joey for an additional room just to watch DVR recordings, VOD, etc. and is not concerned about having access to Live TV at the same time that the Hopper Duo and first Joey are in use. Although in that case, a better option for the same monthly fee might be to add a Wally instead of a second Joey. A Wally would not be able to access recordings from the Hopper, though, which is why someone may prefer the Joey option.

Reactions: TheKrell
I am assuming that I corrected your typo correctly above. Otherwise, it reads like you are questioning why a HWS would be set up with a Joey 3. :D

Actually, I see no real need to restrict the Hopper Duo to only one Joey, if someone wants another Joey for an additional room just to watch DVR recordings, VOD, etc. and is not concerned about having access to Live TV at the same time that the Hopper Duo and first Joey are in use. Although in that case, a better option for the same monthly fee might be to add a Wally instead of a second Joey. A Wally would not be able to access recordings from the Hopper, though, which is why someone may prefer the Joey option.
Well, 4 rooms on a 3 room system is silly and don't even go there with Super Joeys when a Hopper 3 solves all problems

They do have shoppers with the DVR feature deactivated, but to my knowledge, is for only one specific situation. Commercial. I also believe there is a restriction to the commercial accounts, such as a bar or office, not a commercial account such as an apartment complex but I could be making that part up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)