Upgrade to HD but not using one of the satellites

tjlerie

Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
I am considering upgrading to a 722k with the MT2 OTA module as a way to get local over the air channels on the guide and recorded AND for the storage capacity. I have no line of site to the satellite (129W) that has my Dish local channels and many of the HD channels. When I upgrade, I assume that an installer will be sent on site to add the 129W LBNF for locals and some of the HD programming. (Hate to pay for Dish Locals that I am not using, but it appears that there is no choice.)

Questions:
* If I can convince the installer to add the 129W LBNF without a line of site, will what I have working today with 110 and 119 still work?
* Will I be able to have my over the air channels appear in my guide and record them even though 129W cannot be accessed?
* If I ever have a problem with something else on my Dish, will the CSR roulette team at Dish refuse to help me because when they make me run the diagnostics the 129W will show 0 strength signal?
* Is there anything else I should be aware of before I make this change?

Current situation: I have a Dish Dual DVR 625 and 301, Sat 110 and 119, Dish Top 200 WITHOUT LOCALS. The outside dish is pointed to the South West; Dish 500; DPPlus LNBF for 110W & 119W. HD is not that important to me, but I do have an HD TV. I have excellent Digital reception of my local stations via my antenna and DTV converters. My Dish local channels are on 129W, but I do not have a line of site to it because I live in a heavily wooded area. An installer tried a while back for over an hour to find some way, including a wing dish, but there are too many trees - not an option to cut down. If I am going to pay for an installation now, I may as well get the 129W LBNF just in case there is a tornado and God knocks down the trees for me.

If you don't have LOS to 129, then you wouldn't accomplish anything with an LNB for it. And, it won't even guarantee you would get program data for your locals. I only have one OTA local that matches up to a Dish channel name and number and I don't get any program data for it.

Repeat - there is no line of sight to 129W

No matter where on my property or my neighbors or my rooftop the installer tried, there is no line of sight to the 129W satellite. No breaks between trees. There is just no place to move the dish to get a LOS. It is very low - about 22 degrees - and there are just too many trees.

I don't need the 129 LBNF. I have to pay for installing the 722k and thought in case trees fell over and I could get a LOS then I would have the 129 LBNF and not have to pay again. I also don't think that I can get the Dish CSR roulette team to activate local channels unless they see that I have the right equipment.

You could try a wing dish @ 61.5 for HD broadcasts. Still not gonna help with your local situation. Without guide data from the satellite, it won't populate for your OTA locals. You can still watch and DVR but you'll be setting manual timers.

If you are only upgrading to HD and not changing your programming package, you do not have to pay for locals. When i upgraded to HD i was able to keep my AT 200 package without locals.

Hi, do you have LOS to the Eastern Arc? Perhaps you could be set up with an Eastern Arc Dish 1000.4 for the HD and have a wing dish hooked up for your locals in SD.

Just another option to consider, DC

To All: My main objective is to get OTA channels on the Dish channel guide and be able to record them. I appreciate all the suggestions about actually getting LOS and reception of the HD and local channels, but because I have had a Dish Installer on site that tried to find a LOS, I don't think that is possible. So what I am asking is:
*** does it matter whether or not there is actual reception from the satellite, can I use the OTA module and get my over the air channels (from my antenna) to appear on the Dish channel guide, see a description of the show and record on the DVR (without doing a "manual timer")? ***

To delta_charlie: I have even less LOS to the East and South East. I do have a clear shot DIRECTLY South down my 2000 foot driveway, but have been told that there is no satellite in that direction.

To knotle: I am trying to get my local OTA channels on the channel guide and be able to record them on the Dish DVR. The installation manual for the Dish MT2 OTA module for the 722k receiver indicates that "subscription" to Dish Local Channels is required. I am only upgrading to HD so that I can get a DVR machine that has the 2 tuner OTA module which is the 722k which requires HD subscription. Yes, HD is available without Local Channels (especially for me since Dish sent out an installer to install Local Channels and he confirmed that I cannot get them).

should work as your OTA channels will populate guide data from 110 or 119, and you will get some of the HD channels with a wing dish @ 61.5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)