Upgrade to HD DVR info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
At some point and time I would like to upgrade to an HD DVR from a SD DVR.

Should I buy one on my own or call DTV to have one installed by them?

Will they extend my contract when I upgrade to an HD DVR and will there be a fee for upgrading, besides the $10 a month stupid HD fee?

Please feel free to post any other loop holes that DTV might have.

Thanks

If you get one from them or new from a store they will restart your contract to 2 years. What DVR do you currently have?

Personally if you don't mind being in the 2 year commitment again, I would just call Directv and let them know that you want to upgrade and see what type of deals they have. If you do mind being in the commitment then you can expect to possibly pay $499 for the DVR unless you can find a used one that is owned. The problem with the used ones is you better be 100% sure that the DVR is owned or you are just throwing your money away.

Just call and ask what type of deals they have. If it has been awhile since you upgraded a receiver you might be able to get one for just the shipping costs.

As others have stated, I'd call D* first and see what they have to offer. If you don't get a very good deal, maybe try back a few days later.

I can't speak for deals that are happening these days, but I've gotten an HD-Tivo (since 'retired), an HR-21 and an HR-22 for free simply by calling and saying I wanted to inquire about upgrading a receiver to an HD-DVR. I've never threatened to leave or mentioned any competition in any way - simply inquired. I did also buy another HR-22 myself, but I already had the upgraded dish at the time, and had the two lines run to an existing SD-DVR at the house location. So it was easy for me to plug it in myself.

You can always go local if you don't like what they offer, but if you haven't upgraded in a while you'll hopefully get some kind of deal - even if it isn't entirely free.

My mother has Direct and they got a small HD TV for their bed room. I am not sure of their exact set up (I have dish network). they have a DVR in their bedroom and just a receiver box in the living room.

Mom said she called and asked about upgrading the DVR in the bedroom to an HD DVR and was told it would cost $200. They are under contract with Direct until 12/11.

$200 seemed a bit high, again I am in league with the "other side", so I am not sure what it normal.

Any suggestions would be great.

My mother has Direct and they got a small HD TV for their bed room. I am not sure of their exact set up (I have dish network). they have a DVR in their bedroom and just a receiver box in the living room.

Mom said she called and asked about upgrading the DVR in the bedroom to an HD DVR and was told it would cost $200. They are under contract with Direct until 12/11.

$200 seemed a bit high, again I am in league with the "other side", so I am not sure what it normal.

Any suggestions would be great.

If they are under contract until 12/11 then it does not surprise me as they either just signed up or upgraded a receiver. The $200 is the price with zero discounts.

Thanks JAG72. I reread my post and meant to type 12/10... for some reason I thought it was 2010 already. So with that in mind, is 200 bucks still normal or are they getting hosed for some reason.

Thanks again

200 is stil lthe normal cost.

Offers are based on alot of different things and it want the computr say is what we go by. they have recently made it near impossible to override the system. so if they say 199 they can only give it to them for 199.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)