Upgraded receiver and lost signal strengt

TundraTurkey

Original poster
May 7, 2005
I just upgraded my dish receiver from a 501 to a 721PVR. This new receiver requires 2 satellite inputs, so I put a splitter on the incoming line near the receiver. By putting the splitter on, I went from about 80 points on a single line, down to 50 on tuner 1, and 38 on tuner 2. A simple solution is to run a second cable from the satellite to the receiver, but I would have to buy about 75 ft of RG6.

I'm not too familiar with amplifiers or preamplifiers and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on using one instead of running a second line.

-TT

PS, I'm in Alaska and have been dealing with the poor signal strength where I live since I got Dish, and never have any reception problems unless I drop below 70 points.

don't split sat signal, run another line or buy DPP equipment and a separator. Run a new line it is cheaper than a different LNB

Keep in mind that no one has confirmed that the DP+Twin will work with the 721. A guy over at DBSTalk had his die when he tried. Best bet is to just run a new line and the cheapest.

One thing you installer guys missed - he's in Alaska. ;)

Probably has 119 only, and a 2.2GHz splitter would work just fine for that providing he's got a DP LNB.

Assuming that was the case, maybe he's using a standard VHF/UHF splitter, which would explain his problem perfectly.

Yep, have DP pro and only receive the 119 signal. I did run a splitter rated from 5MHz to 2.3GHz, but my signal strenght suffered.

I'm going to have to do something, since the wife now wants that old receiver to go in the bedroom and I can only run two lines in from the dish.

-TT

First, the second tuner can't get everything when using a splitter, which is just wrong on Dish.

Second, the minimum level loss on a splitter is 3db for a 2 way splitter. This is half level. And that is what you saw. No amp is going to do it. 75 feet of cable is cheap, and the way to do it.

Barry, I've got no idea where you come up with this stuff. :no

I DO suspect excess loss either from a bad DishPro Splitter (if you're not using a real one, get one), or your cables/connections.

And yes, if you have to, an appropriately rated amplifier may help you out.

Barry Erick said:
First, the second tuner can't get everything when using a splitter, which is just wrong on Dish.

When using a DP LNB on a SINGLE SAT CONFIG WITTH NO SWITCH, you can use a splitter. It MUST be a 5-2300Mhz splitter or you will have problems. using a standard cable 5-1000Mhz splitter will work but it is not rated for the higher freqs and you will get a good deal of loss.

TundraTurkey: Are you seeing loss on ALL trans or are the evens worse than the odds?

Simon - Thanks for point out that he is in Alaska. I overlooked that the first time...

I did some double checking on my equipment and boy was I way off. I mistakenly mislead this thread. I have the old stuff and I'm now trying to add a DP receiver to it (which in itself is not the problem). Here's a clarification on my setup:

Legacy LNB with two feeds off it for two receivers (not the double head LNB)
My original receiver is a 4900, which I want to still use.
Bought a 721 that requires two feeds.

Bought the cable, but I haven't run that second line yet. Thinking of running one line straight to tuner 1 on the 721 and splitting the second line between tuner 2 and the old 4900 model. I know I won't get all the cannels on the 4900 receiver, but it's better than nothing until I can scrape up the bucks to upgrade everything to dish pro.

btw Larry - The loss is consistent on ALL trans. And now it seems that there is only a point or two difference in signal strength between the two tuners.

Thanks for the valuable input so far, I've learned quite a lot over the last couple days!
TT

Keep in mind that IF you do use a splitter with the 721, you CANNOT do a check switch with the splitter installed. The check switch won't work because it will be trying to do the same thing to the same switch ( a single sat DP LNB is technically a switch). Best bet would be to get a D* style 3x4 multiswitch and run the 2nd line. This way, it will properly see the LNB and will work fine afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts