Upgraded to 50"- HD looks Softer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

golface

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Hey guys
I recently upgraded to a Samsung 50" plasma. On my older 42 sam dlp all the hd channels were great. Now depending on the program the picture can look awesome or like EDTV. Is this common?
Thanks
Ed

There are probably settings you can play with to make it better, but generally speaking yes, picture quality is always better on a smaller set.

The "depending on the program" part of your statement is important, too. Bigger, nicer TV's will show more of a broadcast's flaws, so that things that were acceptable on a smaller TV are not so much on a bigger one.

On the plus side, you really notice the difference with better sources (i.e. HD-DVD, Blu-Ray or good broadcast HD) a lot more on a bigger set than you will on your smaller one.

Last edited:
Ive noticed(even after using my calibration DVD) that my inlaws 50" samsung plasma is softer on D* HD than my 46" Sony RPLCD.

Might just be something with the sammy plasmas. Good blacks though.

How far away are you?

I am about 12 feet away. Don't get me wrong some of the programs look as good as my 360. We are just used to everything looking that way. One of the worst offenders is football on NBC, it was bad on the DLP and now it's really bad on the 50".

depends on the picture mode also. Which one do you use? Dynamic, standard, movie or custom? In movie mode you get a much softer look than you would in the others. Honestly i prefer and leave my sammie in movie mode. A calibration dvd or better yet a professional calibration will make that set really perform. With the settings that i have learned to fiddle with i can make it as sharp as any set ive ever seen, or can bring a softer more movie like apperance.

that being said, yes bigger shows flaws moreso than smaller

I am about 12 feet away. Don't get me wrong some of the programs look as good as my 360. We are just used to everything looking that way. One of the worst offenders is football on NBC, it was bad on the DLP and now it's really bad on the 50".
NBC football is terrible on most any set IMO. Id just grin and bear that one;)

Ive noticed(even after using my calibration DVD) that my inlaws 50" samsung plasma is softer on D* HD than my 46" Sony RPLCD.

Might just be something with the sammy plasmas. Good blacks though.

How far away are you?

The Sony probably has a better light engine.
Are they about the same generation ?
That also makes a big difference with the drastically changing electronics being used.

Jimbo

The Sony probably has a better light engine.
Are they about the same generation ?
That also makes a big difference with the drastically changing electronics being used.

Jimbo

I really dont know. The Sony is an E2000 and they were both bought last Christmas.

Yes, tv brands can differ, but basically you will ALWAYS notice a difference when you go larger.

Smaller screen, smaller pixels and the more tightly packed they are, resulting in more crisp pictures...Larger screen, larger pixels and you figure out the rest. That's the way it works as long as your resolutions are the same.

NBC football is terrible on most any set IMO. Id just grin and bear that one;)

Ditto here. NBC Sunday Night Football is very poor on my older (4yr) Sammy DLP. Pixelates badly.

Speaking of football does anyone know who is the broadcaster for this years Superbowl game? I hope it isn't NBC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)