Status
Please reply by conversation.

torp74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
South Texas
Hi All,

I am buying my 75 y/o Dad a new HDTV. He is a current DTV subscriber, and has been for about 8 years. I would like to suprise him with the TV, the stand, and a new DTV HD setup. Will DTV work with me on this? I will pay his upgrade fee etc. I would like to get the installer to show the same day I bring him the TV. Would I need to get his account #, and etc. to deal with DTV? Thanks in advance for your help!

torp

p.s. What kind of upgrade deals are out there right now? 7/24/08

Hi All,

I am buying my 75 y/o Dad a new HDTV. He is a current DTV subscriber, and has been for about 8 years. I would like to suprise him with the TV, the stand, and a new DTV HD setup. Will DTV work with me on this? I will pay his upgrade fee etc. I would like to get the installer to show the same day I bring him the TV. Would I need to get his account #, and etc. to deal with DTV? Thanks in advance for your help!

torp

Your only issue I see with this is the install date. Gotta make sure you get him out of the house or somewhere and have an adult present with the installer and then you should be all good. I guess when you call just act like him and verify his info because I think he can only make changes to his account.

You will have to act as him and "be" him. He is the only one authorized on the account to add services and equipment. While your kindness is in the right spot DirecTV will see it as someone not authorized to add equipment and services.

This is not fully true. I have made changes to my parents and in-laws Directv accounts without any issues. I just called and told them who I was and they had no issues with doing the changes.

Best of luck to ya. I think it is a nice thing what you're doing and wish someone would have hooked me up like that. If you have extra cash I'd like a new 4 wheeler.

Not really any of my business, but if the new prog. is costing him more $$$, will he like that? Or are you taking care of that too? Hey, is it possible to set his account up online and upgrade there?

Hi All,

torp

I did the same thing for my parents several years back.
Difference being, my Dad knew about it, Mom NEVER know.

The only problem I see is getting the installer there at the appropriate time.

Jimbo

I did the same thing for my parents several years back.

The only problem I see is getting the installer there at the appropriate time.

Jimbo

Yeah, the installer being there at the right time seems to be the only issue for ya. You shouldn't have a problem finding away to change his programming either by setting him up online or calling in and acting as him.

Well DTV was very helpful. My Dad was due for a free HD upgrade, and so the whole deal is only costing $19.95 upfront, and then $9.95 a month for the next 24. The extra $10 a month and the 24 are no big deal for them because they spend 85% of their time watching the tube, both retired, etc..

So the deal goes like this, I get there on the 5th, the TV (Mitsubishi WD65736) gets there that afternoon between 12-4 pm. That night we go get the stand (got to be step mom's choice here), and we set it up that night. The DTV guy is scheduled to come over the next morning between 8-12 am. We should be able to watch a pre-season game in HD that night! Hope it all goes off as scheduled.

Thanks to you all for your help.

torp

I hope you have a feel for whether or not he will appreciate your efforts. My 72 year old father in law has told me on many occasions that he does not want anything to do with HD. Of course his eyes aren't what they used to be and he wouldn't get much out of it anyway.

I hope you have a feel for whether or not he will appreciate your efforts. My 72 year old father in law has told me on many occasions that he does not want anything to do with HD. Of course his eyes aren't what they used to be and he wouldn't get much out of it anyway.

Yes, But you would when your over to visit :D

My Dad's about 68 now and loves the HD :D

Jimbo

Well DTV was very helpful. My Dad was due for a free HD upgrade, and so the whole deal is only costing $19.95 upfront, and then $9.95 a month for the next 24. The extra $10 a month and the 24 are no big deal for them because they spend 85% of their time watching the tube, both retired, etc..

So the deal goes like this, I get there on the 5th, the TV (Mitsubishi WD65736) gets there that afternoon between 12-4 pm. That night we go get the stand (got to be step mom's choice here), and we set it up that night. The DTV guy is scheduled to come over the next morning between 8-12 am. We should be able to watch a pre-season game in HD that night! Hope it all goes off as scheduled.

Thanks to you all for your help.

torp

Torp,
Have you checked the NFL schedule ?
It looks like you'll have this all done on the 6th (August ?) There is NO NFL games on till the 7th, 1 game on the 3rd, but that won't help you.
Here's week 1

WEEK 1
THU, AUG 7 TIME (ET) TV RESOURCES LOCATION
NY Giants at Detroit 7:00 PM Tickets | Travel Ford Field
NY Jets at Cleveland 7:30 PM Tickets | Travel Cleveland Browns Stadium
Baltimore at New England 7:30 PM Tickets | Travel Gillette Stadium
Kansas City at Chicago 8:00 PM Tickets | Travel Soldier Field
New Orleans at Arizona 8:00 PM ESPN Tickets | Travel University of Phoenix Stadium

FRI, AUG 8 TIME (ET) TV RESOURCES LOCATION
Philadelphia at Pittsburgh 7:30 PM Tickets | Travel Heinz Field
Seattle at Minnesota 8:00 PM Tickets | Travel Metrodome
San Francisco at Oakland 10:00 PM Tickets | Travel

SAT, AUG 9 TIME (ET) TV RESOURCES LOCATION
Buffalo at Washington 7:00 PM Tickets | Travel FedEx Field
Atlanta at Jacksonville 7:30 PM Tickets | Travel ALLTEL Stadium
Indianapolis at Carolina 7:30 PM Tickets | Travel Bank of America Stadium
Tampa Bay at Miami 7:30 PM Tickets | Travel Dolphin Stadium
St. Louis at Tennessee 8:00 PM Tickets | Travel LP Field
Denver at Houston 8:00 PM Tickets | Travel Reliant Stadium
Dallas at San Diego 10:00 PM Tickets | Travel Qualcomm Stadium

MON, AUG 11 TIME (ET) TV RESOURCES LOCATION
Cincinnati at Green Bay 8:00 PM ESPN Tickets | Travel Lambeau Field

Remember, most of these game will NOT be in HD, some may, depending on the local network. The ESPN games more than likely will be.
Remember, there is alot of Network programming that is now inHD that they may like as well.

Jimbo

Well it looks like all is on schedule, and the tv might even show up early. Jimbo, thanks for the schedule, we will enjoy whatever is on. My pop is a big westerns guy, so we might watch 3:10 to Yuma on DVD in a pinch instead of the ball game. He will piss and moan a little about how much I paid after he sees this monstorous tv, but I will bet my left huevo that he will love it!

torp

Well it looks like all is on schedule, and the tv might even show up early. Jimbo, thanks for the schedule, we will enjoy whatever is on. My pop is a big westerns guy, so we might watch 3:10 to Yuma on DVD in a pinch instead of the ball game. He will piss and moan a little about how much I paid after he sees this monstorous tv, but I will bet my left huevo that he will love it!

torp

Yes, they never understand the money it takes to do these things....:)
But then , I don't do it, if I can't swing the money .

Jimbo

I have to update you all on this project. Everything pretty much went off without a hitch. We got the stand (gigantic), got the tv (holy crap!), got the A/V receiver, and had direcTV do a new install. Everything came together well with one exception. My Dad and step-mom were overwhelmed with remote controls. I tried to get everything working on one remote (the tv remote) to no avail. After hours of mindlessly punching in codes, I said screw this, and went and got a programmable remote (ZR800D). I set everything up with macros, so now he only has about 4 buttons to push, and they are fat and happy. The programmable works so good I am going to get one for myself too. I have to watch my Dad though, he gave up his own golf match to watch the PGA Championship last week.

Thank you all for your help as I worked through this, you helped me make a memorable birthday for my Dad!

torp

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts