Upgrading from 522 to 722 - couple questions

u4ea

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
South Florida
I am finally upgrading to HD. I currently have a 522 (which has actually worked very well for me since day 1) and I just called to order the 722 HD Dvr. I just spoke with someone from / with Dish Network in some far off land (India?) I am not sure they knew the answers to all my questions. So, I figured I would ask here.

1. Is the vip722 upgrade just the receiver or is there also a new dish with it? (I sure hope it doesn't need a new dish... My current dish is about 24' up)

2. Is there a way I can back up the stuff I currently have saved on my 522 and move it over to the 722 when it gets here in the next couple days? We have a lot of content on the 522 I would love to save in possible.

3. How is the quality of the 722? Any issues I should be aware of? Currently we use the 522 in two adjoining rooms. (family room / master bedroom) We figure the HD will be the family room and the SD will be in the master.

4. Is there a way to wipe the content on the drives once i ship it back to Dish?

I will call dish tomorrow and speak to someone hopefully from over here that has a little more knowledge than the person I just spoke with.

1. HD for Florida is on the 129 location. If you have that already, then no.
2. No.
3. I do not have a 722, but have not heard of too much wrong with it. I'm sure someone with a 722 will chime in on this point.
4. You should be able to delete everything before you send it back. If not Dish will do it.

I thought south FL couldn't get 129.

According to the Dish Network Channel chart, he only needs 110 and 119- or did I miss something? For HD, 61.5 (which he'd be much happier with than 129).

Yep. Look here. Shaded areas are where 129 is not received, at least not with a Dish 1000. I guess a 24" or bigger antenna might get it, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts