upgrading from Duo 322 to Duo VIP222k Help needed

bamboo2015

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
USA
i've been a dish customer for 10 years or more, using a 322 SD dual receiver.

I am thinking about upgrading the receiver to VIP 322k receiver so i can get some HD channels as well as OTA in HD through a single receiver.

Do i need a new dish installed and do i have to enter a new contract to get this done?

or as someone was telling me, just buy the receiver online and then get it activated by dish and that way i will not be in any contract and can keep the same monthly payments. will probably cost me $100.

is this all that would be needed to be done? is there anything else that i may have to do?
i wish dish would just give me the receiver for being a loyal customer(i will be staying with dish anyways forever)

I would really appreciate any help.

Depending on your location, and if you want your locals in HD, you may have to have your Dish re-pointed to the Eastern Arc.

i am in new york and my dish is pointing in the south/southwest direction.

i was thinking of getting the OTA module so that i can get the locals through antenna into my dish receiver. would i still need to repoint the dish.

i dont want to spend money and buy the receiver and the module only to find out that i now need to get into a contract anyways to get everything fully functional.

Yes, then you will have to have your Dish pointed toward the south/southeast direction, which will also require a different model Dish (1000.2 or 1000.4 instead of the 500 you likely have now)

i have an Oval dish right now. how would i find out what exactly do i have?

please see my edited post above yours. thank you

The model of the dish should be printed on the face of the dish.

A Dish 500 will have two white plastic knobs that face the dish from the LNB assembly mounted on the arm. A Dish 1000 will usually have three.

the dish says Dish Network Plus on it. it has two lnbs, one small one, one big one looks like a giant eye.

all the dishes in the neighborhood are pointed in the same direction

i've been a dish customer for 10 years or more, using a 322 SD dual receiver.

I am thinking about upgrading the receiver to VIP 322k receiver so i can get some HD channels as well as OTA in HD through a single receiver.

Do i need a new dish installed and do i have to enter a new contract to get this done?

or as someone was telling me, just buy the receiver online and then get it activated by dish and that way i will not be in any contract and can keep the same monthly payments. will probably cost me $100.

is this all that would be needed to be done? is there anything else that i may have to do?
i wish dish would just give me the receiver for being a loyal customer(i will be staying with dish anyways forever)

I would really appreciate any help.

If you are going to stay with DISH forever, give them a call and set up an upgrade. They will provide all the equipment and labor needed, likely free of charge.

If you are going to stay with DISH forever, give them a call and set up an upgrade. They will provide all the equipment and labor needed, likely free of charge.
will my bill go up due to this? yes, i plan to stay with them.

i am not in a contract anymore. are you sure they will do all this for free?

I see two downside risks: the need for two dishes (if you sub to internationals) and the $10/mo HD fee.

HD programming will cost $10 more per month, unless you can get a promo (HD free for 24 months, or free for life with paperless billing and autopay). Honestly, I don't know what they are offering nowadays. Your best bet would be to contact a DIRT member here who are Dish employees who can help you better than a regular customer service rep.

Reactions: TheKrell
HD programming will cost $10 more per month, unless you can get a promo (HD free for 24 months, or free for life with paperless billing and autopay). Honestly, I don't know what they are offering nowadays. Your best bet would be to contact a DIRT member here who are Dish employees who can help you better than a regular customer service rep.

how do i contact the DIRT member?

that's what i was worried about, an increase in the monthly bill. so then even if i get my own receiver, i still may have to pay $10 monthly?

i am searching dish website to see if any such promo is available.