upgrading from Duo 322 to Duo VIP222k Help needed

i've been a dish customer for 10 years or more, using a 322 SD dual receiver.

I am thinking about upgrading the receiver to VIP 322k receiver so i can get some HD channels as well as OTA in HD through a single receiver.

Do i need a new dish installed and do i have to enter a new contract to get this done?

or as someone was telling me, just buy the receiver online and then get it activated by dish and that way i will not be in any contract and can keep the same monthly payments. will probably cost me $100.

is this all that would be needed to be done? is there anything else that i may have to do?
i wish dish would just give me the receiver for being a loyal customer(i will be staying with dish anyways forever)

I would really appreciate any help.

I didn't notice here or in follow-ups, but do you already have a VIP 222K or a place to get one? Dish is not doing upgrades to 222K receivers any more, you would be prompted, if calling Dish, to change to a pair of 211 receivers (most likely 211z), one for each room. If you were to purchase it somewhere else, you could activate it when you call in, and it would not require any type of commitment.

Several other things, it appears you are seeing 119, 118, and 110 for satellites. To get all the HD programming, you'd have to have a dish that gets the 129 orbital. Adding the HD tag code to your account (to get all HD) would populate that you would need a tech visit, and that isn't going to be free. Without 129, you may get limited HD programming and no cost and no need for a tech, but it would be limited, locals, and a few others, most likely.

Without being able to see your account, I also suggest contacting a DIRT member, they're on the clock and can review your account. I'm at home, and obviously can't do so. :)

222's are available for purchase through online sources. Alternatively, if you don't need HD for TV2, consider a 722 DVR upgrade vs 2 211's. Overall cost would be the same as 2 211's, but you get DVR (and lose HD for TV2).

Reactions: TheKrell
i have contacted the DIRT member as suggested, currently waiting for a response from him.

wouldn't getting a DVR receiver increase my monthly bill (dvr fees)? honestly, i dont really know or feel like i need the DVR feature as i have never used it before.

if i had to buy on my own, i was going to buy vip 322 from ebay or google shopping, as well as the OTA module needed to plug in my antenna for the local channels.

would getting two 211s increase the bill as i remember in the past, for each additional receiver, there was a monthly fee?

can i upgrade the receiver without adding the HD tag? i am willing to go with Autopay/paperless if that will give me free HD for life.

i checked my dish direction and east/southeast direction is clear for the most part.
as far as getting a new dish pointing east, does this have to be specifically requested, or will this be done automatically by dish?

i am curious, currently i am getting all my channels, american and international. so upgrading to a HD box will interrrupt me from receiving all the channels? if the dish stays pointed to where it is currently?

Believe me, once you have a dvr you will wonder how you lived without one. How many times have you gotten a call while watching tv, had to go to the bathroom or anything else were you were distracted. With a push of the pause button, you can hold up to 1 hour in a buffer, then resume and skip all commercials.
How many times has there been more than 1 show on at the same time that you wanted to watch or a program is on late at night that you want to watch?
Over the years we have had others who expressed the same sentiment that you just did. They get a dvr and come back and thank us for talking them into getting one.

I've always said that going from no DVR to a DVR is like going from dialup to broadband. You can never go back.

i have contacted the DIRT member as suggested, currently waiting for a response from him.

wouldn't getting a DVR receiver increase my monthly bill (dvr fees)? honestly, i dont really know or feel like i need the DVR feature as i have never used it before.

if i had to buy on my own, i was going to buy vip 322 from ebay or google shopping, as well as the OTA module needed to plug in my antenna for the local channels.

would getting two 211s increase the bill as i remember in the past, for each additional receiver, there was a monthly fee?

can i upgrade the receiver without adding the HD tag? i am willing to go with Autopay/paperless if that will give me free HD for life.

i checked my dish direction and east/southeast direction is clear for the most part.
as far as getting a new dish pointing east, does this have to be specifically requested, or will this be done automatically by dish?

i am curious, currently i am getting all my channels, american and international. so upgrading to a HD box will interrrupt me from receiving all the channels? if the dish stays pointed to where it is currently?
Equipment fees:

1 322 - $0 (first receiver free)
or
1 222 - $0 (first receiver free)
or
2 211's - $7 (first receiver free + $7 second receiver)
or
1 722 - $7 (first receiver free + $7 DVR free)

the dish rep says can only upgrade to DVR receivers: 622/722/722k receiver family, which increases my monthly bill.

so i guess i will be buying a receiver online and try to activate it.

You should get a few years out of it. Might fail before they obsolete it. By then, ViP222 units might be hard to come by, and you'll review your options again. Years away.

the dish rep says can only upgrade to DVR receivers: 622/722/722k receiver family, which increases my monthly bill.

so i guess i will be buying a receiver online and try to activate it.

So you'd rather pay for a receiver and install it yourself rather than get a better DVR receiver that would get installed for you? I'm just curious because when I would go over the options with my customers they always chose the 722k route. I hated when Dish made this change but the 722k receiver has been one of Dish's greatest receivers.

Reactions: ChadT41
So you'd rather pay for a receiver and install it yourself rather than get a better DVR receiver that would get installed for you? I'm just curious because when I would go over the options with my customers they always chose the 722k route. I hated when Dish made this change but the 722k receiver has been one of Dish's greatest receivers.
Honestly, my thoughts exactly.

You should be able to add 129 to your existing dish with a dp lnb and bracket. no repointing needed. the problem you may run into is not having the right switch and your HD locals may be on the eastern arc.
Seems if you are satisfied with the service your best bet would be to have a 722k installed and take the contract extension. me personally I would do it myself, but it is not for everyone. If you have your heart set on no price increase find a 222k online and do it yourself.
As others have said you will find the extra 7 bucks for a dvr well worth it.

It is absolutely none of my business, but if $7 is keeps no you from getting a DVR and a 722K, perhaps you need to reevaluate your budget and decide if you can really afford satellite TV. If $7 is going to break the bank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts