Upgrading the Sub soon :)

Ive read about 3k posts so far in the Rythmik thread at AVS. The guy Brian, EE Phd from Usc, is a great person. He takes the time to explain things that a lot of company owners would not even mess with. You can tell he has his fingers in all parts of the design. Real cool company, and they've come from very accurate sealed subs (pre 2010) to vented subs that hang right there with a SVS PB13 ultra, for about $600 less.

Im pretty excited, and the dB's this thing outputs when compared to the same tests on my Hsu is pretty exciting. Should be fun for Avengers ;)

Iike the design of the Epiks. I like Parallel drives. They seem to me to have more roll and are smoother for music. I don't like the "air in my pant trousers". They seem to have a good balance between music and HT.

S~

for true low frequency reproduction there's none better than the Thigpen Rotary Subwoofer. It uses a different approach and can easily deliver sub 10 hz. It decreases in output as the frequency rises.

It is not cheap, but there are people that use this from essentially DC to 30hz and a conventional from 30-80hz. I received a demo several years ago at ces, and it was mind boggling. I'll get one when my ship comes in ;-)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

That's the thing. My ships (the twin disasters) are sailing off to college this year. My oldest is starting grad work at Caltech. Be a while before my ship sails back in.

S~

Im still floating just adding a second Hsu too. I mean I have good movie bass now, having problems justifying a new sub for $1500, or a second sub for $600...

I do, I mean it hits hard. Trying to decide if I should co locate them and get the 6db, or spread them out, which should still be 3db. From my reading, it seems most folks feel spreading them out is better overall for the freq response.

It's funny, I recently asked Dr. Hsu whether I should add another matching $600 sub or replace it with the VTF15H which is a 15" and $1000. He told me he would add the second matching sub. Gotta love honesty not driven by money.

I may not end up with the overall output of one of those big 15's, but it seems it would smooth the room out and leaves more overhead for the subs.

Yeah, its been around and around and around and...

While looking at dropping $1500 on a 15", I just dont have the room. Any of those front firing subs is gonna stick out about 30" from the wall, and thats just way to much in this narrow living room. Plus my wife will kill me, and we have a bulldog and boston that like to run into stuff with their toys. I figure I should just wait for the big boy until we build, and I can dedicate a room. For now, I'll just spend $600 and add the second identical 12" sub on the other side of my setup, so everything will be symmetrical. There is really no other place due to furniture and a fireplace, it's a nice house but just not ideal for a properly setup HT (I'd say many houses werent). I figure the second sub will give me a few more db's and help the room out, I also have a calibrator coming in oct for the audio, so Im sure between the two subs, the Klipsch and the AVR he can get it even better.

As you can see the current setup with the sub on the left, Ill put the 2nd sub on the right to mirror it.
f071a903.jpg

42fd3f4e.jpg

To give you an idea, we sit 9ft 4" from that center channel, and you can see how much the "little" 12" sub sticks out. I think the second Hsu will add some fun. Im just trying to decide now if I leave them firing down onto the carpet/pad over concrete floor, or add a Gramma.

Yeah, its been around and around and around and...

While looking at dropping $1500 on a 15", I just dont have the room. Any of those front firing subs is gonna stick out about 30" from the wall, and thats just way to much in this narrow living room. Plus my wife will kill me, and we have a bulldog and boston that like to run into stuff with their toys. I figure I should just wait for the big boy until we build, and I can dedicate a room. For now, I'll just spend $600 and add the second identical 12" sub on the other side of my setup, so everything will be symmetrical. There is really no other place due to furniture and a fireplace, it's a nice house but just not ideal for a properly setup HT (I'd say many houses werent). I figure the second sub will give me a few more db's and help the room out, I also have a calibrator coming in oct for the audio, so Im sure between the two subs, the Klipsch and the AVR he can get it even better.

As you can see the current setup with the sub on the left, Ill put the 2nd sub on the right to mirror it.

To give you an idea, we sit 9ft 4" from that center channel, and you can see how much the "little" 12" sub sticks out. I think the second Hsu will add some fun. Im just trying to decide now if I leave them firing down onto the carpet/pad over concrete floor, or add a Gramma.

I hear you. I am hving a terrible time with the family room. HT Room and game room were no problem. Had I not gone from the 65" Panasonic to the 80" Sharp I "might" have been able to do two subs. It would just stick out into the hallway. Parallel drives like the Epik and Radia would not work either as the left sub would be right up against the wall :rolleyes:

S~

Building is when it'll be fun. I've had a spreadsheet with Amps, speakers and such for over a year now with what I'm gonna buy lol.

Here are the brands Ive picked:

Outlaw 7500 5 channel Amp
Marantz Pre/Pro
Gonna stick with Klipsch Reference series for speakers, just gonna get the big boy RF-7 or equivalent towers for the fronts, and the 4 woofer center (RC-64).
I was gonna go with the Hsu VTF-15H, but Im replacing that with the Rythmik FV15HP.
Berkline chairs (6)
Not sure on screen or projector, but Id not pick that until the year of
Gonna use gikacoustics for the treatment stuff

We've looked at plans, like a 5 bedroom. Would take the wall out between two bedrooms one side of the house to make a nice room, with a bathroom at one end. It's a long term plan, I wanna do it once and just enjoy it for awhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts