Upgrading the Sub soon :)

I hear ya. The family room has never sounded better since I got the Axiom surrounds and brought down a Radia 210i. I just need a permanent solution for downstairs, so the Radia can go with her twin sister.

S~

On another note, anyone looking for an ID sub, stay the hell away from Elemental Designs. Folks are having problems getting repair work done (as in no contact), negative posts are getting deleted from their Facebook page and forum, the forum is now down, and a person that claims to be the amp repair contractor for them has posted on AVS saying he has shut them off because he has not been paid.

One guy recently got an RMA for his bad amp, sent it in, now noone will take his call. Its a bad situation for people who have bought these things.

Had a friend back in Colorado who did the same sort of periodic upgrade, always looking for the perfect system. He had a large family room it all went in. I believe it was 22x35. After the dual 15" Velodynes, he decided he was going to build them himself and end this once and for all. Over the next three years he constructed not one, but two 1st nodal folded horn subwoofers. The design spanned the length of the room on both sides, and the horn opening was on the order of 4' x 6'. Everything was done in quality hardwoods with inlays. The finished result was a thing of beauty. It was driven by a pair of 2500W Macintosh monobloack amplifiers.

It sounded fantastic.... and lasted about two years before his wife informed him that she was tired of living in Marty McFly's science lab. :)

Sub should be here Monday, and Ive got a better SPL meter on order. Since the subs will be in the same spot, and setup the same (Max Output, 3db hot in AVR and a Q of 0.3) I plan to use the Hsu test tone cd and make some runs from 12hz to 100 hz or wherever, and see what the 15" added. Figure thats the best way to show how it improved my room.

CM140 digital vs RS Analog

hz--CMdb--RSdb

16--80.1--76
20--90.2--87
25--91.3--88
31.5--86.3--83
40--98--96
50-98.9--97
63--93.8--92

Those are my VTF2 db's in it's position now. I'll run the numbers again when the VTF15 gets here to check out the increase. I guess the RS meter being roughly 3db lower than the better one might explain why my Audyssey test tones are always 72db ;)

If the performance characteristics of the Audyssey mic is known, it can be corrected for. I haven't tested the trim levels in a while as I haven't changed anything.

I make due with a couple of wimpy Velodyne DD-15s for the main theater.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Well, Im not sure if I can explain it, but when comparing the VTF2 and VTF15 after Audyssey runs, using the HSU CD and test tones (16hz to 63 hz), the VTF2 gave higher db in a couple of the lower results. Now, Im not sure if this is a meter thing, or what, but Im gonna ask Dr Hsu about it. What I can say, is the VTF15 is a beast, regardless of what my meter said. The VTF2, on a good track, could generally offer a little vibration in my cushy chair in the butt area. The VTF15 shakes the butt and the back/chest much more than Ive ever felt it. You can just tell its got more ooomph. Until I know whats up with the other numbers, I took some db results during a couple of good movies. These are at 0.0db on my Marantz, and I can tell you whatever room Im in in the house, it sounds like a roar coming from the living room. The readings are taken from my seat, about 12 feet from the VTF15, in a 3600 cuft room (one side opens to a kitchen and dining room so it's actually bigger).

These are max db's hit during a particular scene, using the CM 140:

Transformers, city battle at end - 111.0
Act of Valor, gun boat scene - 109.8
HTTYD, final battle - 109.7
Iron Man 2, final battle - 111.0
Episode 1, pod race - 110.8

Any input? I ran a ton of tests with different configs, and I settled on EQ2, 2 ports open, Q 0.5. Most db's, and 0.5 is plenty tight bass wise, and offered a little more db than 0.3.

Here are some pics:

Big ol box. Sub was double boxed and packed very well
IMG_2492.jpg

Inner box
IMG_2493.jpg

Dogs wondering what the heck
IMG_2495.jpg

Sub out of the box
IMG_2496.jpg

Amp
IMG_2497.jpg

Sub clothed
IMG_2498.jpg

Sub naked
IMG_2499.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)