Upgrading to an HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cdr2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Since last August have been using the Directv HR10-250. I have never been pleased with the HD picture it delivers. Prior to the HR10, I had a H20 receiver with a superb picture. My question is: if I get an HR20, will it work right with the satellite hardware I have in place now? I have the HD package with three LNBs. Locals are not available here on satellite, so I use an OTA antenna. Also, what have been some of the best deals other members have made with Ditectv to upgrade to an HR20?

Any help is appreciated

If you can buy one from a third party, a 3 LNBF dish will work fine. DirecTV requires the installation of the 5 LNBF dish with the activation of any new HDTV receiver. DirecTV will provide the 5 LNBF antenna and installation for a nominal cost. You will need the dish for the additional national HD content that should be added next year.

I recently replaced my HR10 with the new HR20, and in my opinion, the picture is sharper.

Al

They REQUIRE installation? I was just hoping they'd send the DVR and let me hook it up. I too have a 3LNB dish and don't need a 5 LNB. Ugh!

Since last August have been using the Directv HR10-250. I have never been pleased with the HD picture it delivers. Prior to the HR10, I had a H20 receiver with a superb picture. My question is: if I get an HR20, will it work right with the satellite hardware I have in place now? I have the HD package with three LNBs. Locals are not available here on satellite, so I use an OTA antenna. Also, what have been some of the best deals other members have made with Ditectv to upgrade to an HR20?

Any help is appreciated

You posted this in a different thread that I answered you in already

They REQUIRE installation? I was just hoping they'd send the DVR and let me hook it up. I too have a 3LNB dish and don't need a 5 LNB. Ugh!

Ummm, why not? They will install the 5LNB for free (and the new switch as well) and eventually all HD will require the 5 LNB dish anyway. Makes no sense not to get it, especially free. :D

Any help is appreciated
my h10-250 has always looked great but I AM WAITING FOR MY UPGRADE. I HOPE IT LOOKS JUST AS WELL!

You WILL need a 5-lnb dish in 2007 when DirecTV starts delivering new national HD channels from the 99 and 103 slots (if you want them). And at some point DirecTV will move the exisiting HD channels to MPEG-4 and the new satellites - I read a post that this would start in 2007 also, but no idea when they will disppear from MPEG-2. When they do the 3-lnb dish will not deliver ANY HD....

That makes good sense. Thank you.

I feel sorry for the installer who gets this job. It's cold out there! Actually, I feel sorry for myself because it's a safe bet corners will be cut and the installation will be poorly done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts