Upgrading to Dish

wold_77

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Virginia
I am making the decision to change from cable to Dish. I was wondering if I have to run new cable in the threw the house? The cable that is in the house was originally installed in 1999. I am also going to keep my cable internet. What type of cable do I need to run if I have to string new cable threw the house? I have two HD tv's, what would be my best option for equipment when I decide to make the change?

The cable through the house needs to be RG-6. Check what is installed now. You should be ok.

Try to get at least one 622 DVR. Can't live without mine. Two 622's or one 622 and a 211.

My townhome was built in 1991 and they used the existing cabling and everything is fine. You should be fine with your existing cable, but if you're going to upgrade use at least RG6.

I am making the decision to change from cable to Dish. I was wondering if I have to run new cable in the threw the house? The cable that is in the house was originally installed in 1999. I am also going to keep my cable internet. What type of cable do I need to run if I have to string new cable threw the house? I have two HD tv's, what would be my best option for equipment when I decide to make the change?

IN addition to what the others have said, I kept my cable internet when I hooked up with Dish. As long as you make that clear to the installers, you should be fine!

Yes, please tell the installer as soon as he gets there and starts un-hooking stuff.
I don't know how many times we'll be done, signing the paperwork and the customer is like "o, let me go check my modem real quick before you leave" and i'm sitting there like " what modem?"...

You should be fine you have the right cable some times cables are 20 years old and they r still good !

Yes, please tell the installer as soon as he gets there and starts un-hooking stuff.
I don't know how many times we'll be done, signing the paperwork and the customer is like "o, let me go check my modem real quick before you leave" and i'm sitting there like " what modem?"...

two weeks ago my supervisor calls me and says u remember this customer that lives in that city that u installed a 622 / 211 / 311 for yesterday
i said yes the one where it took me 3 frickin hours to do
h said yes that one, you have to go back and hook his cable modem back up for him cuz created a TC.
i said that motherf****er
i told the customer wich lived in a brand new house i have to run two lines to the 622 and the 2nd line cant be fished cuz the tv area is shaped very weird the wall is not connected to the ceiling, the cable drop is L shapped, and that is custom work, so we have two options
1 i run a new cable on the outside of the house, the drop it on an outside wall drill through it and run it to the receiver
2 use the line thats in the next room over wich was his office
he went with option 2 ofcoursr cuz option 1 is ugly and he didnt wanna drill through exterior walls
i walked in the office and bam i see the motorola cable modem blinking like its laughing at me, i explaind to the customer the situation, he said its fine i am getting the bundle package from AT&T, he gave me the green light
i made him initial and sign the paperwork that he authorized me to use the cable line in the office for satellite use which will disconnect his internet
my boss then put some notes on his account
called him told him what i said and mentioned that he signed on it, and in very nice words told him to go F*** him self!!! :hatsoff:

Thank you all for the advice! I will make sure when the installer comes out I let him know about my internet before he starts. The home currently has RG-59 cable to the bedrooms, the living room is new within the year. I do not know what the cable guy used there the cable is a little hard to read.

I have had dish on my rg-59 cable for 7 years with no problems at all. just make sure they leave the cable modem alone. and you will be fine welcome to dish the bright side.

I have seen legacy dish stuff work ok on RG-59 even though not the best. However with this new install, unlike seven years ago with ewindowman, you will be getting newer DishPro stuff. So make sure they run new RG-6.

RG-59 really is not sufficient for the voltage required to power DishPro and DishProPlus LNBFs. Might be okay for legacy but not DishPro and DishProPlus and could even be a fire hazard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts