upgrading to HD, but not really

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drummerguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I currently have a 622 and a 522, with the Classic Bronze HD package, plus the Platinum HD package (I think that's what they're called now). The 522 is serving two standard def TVs, and the 622 is serving an HDTV and standard def TV.

Anyway, I'm looking to save some money on programming and downgrade to the TurboHD Bronze package. I know I need to upgrade the 522 to a 622 or 722, but I don't want to buy a new HDTV yet (522 and TV1 are monopolized by my kids, and I don't want little fingers messing up a brand new HDTV).

So I'm wondering if I can still use a standard def TV with the 622 or 722 as TV1. If I get TurboHD Bronze, will the HD programming still be viewable on a standard def TV (understanding that it would be downrezzed) or will I only be able to watch the public service and shopping channels they still stuff into this so-called "all-HD" package?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I've used SDTV connected to both TV1 and TV2 outputs on my 722 without any issue. Deep in the menus there is an option to sync TV1s audio to HD output or SD output, you need to change that otherwise you might have a tiny bit of lipsync issue. Otherwise, it will work fine.

Actually the new satellite at 129 has a stronger beam ... so it can tell if you have an SD television connected to your 722 and will stop sending you the signal.

Okay ... joking ... :D

SD televisions work just fine on TV1 and TV2. All the HD content will just end up being letter boxed.

I currently have a 622 and a 522, with the Classic Bronze HD package, plus the Platinum HD package (I think that's what they're called now). The 522 is serving two standard def TVs, and the 622 is serving an HDTV and standard def TV.

Anyway, I'm looking to save some money on programming and downgrade to the TurboHD Bronze package. I know I need to upgrade the 522 to a 622 or 722, but I don't want to buy a new HDTV yet (522 and TV1 are monopolized by my kids, and I don't want little fingers messing up a brand new HDTV).

So I'm wondering if I can still use a standard def TV with the 622 or 722 as TV1. If I get TurboHD Bronze, will the HD programming still be viewable on a standard def TV (understanding that it would be downrezzed) or will I only be able to watch the public service and shopping channels they still stuff into this so-called "all-HD" package?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
You can use Composite (Red-Yellow-White) or the Coax and a regular splitter on the "Home Distribution Output to connect your TV1 and TV2 to the TV.

To use the Coax, you would need to turn the modulator on for TV1 (Menu, 6, 1, 5) and put the button on either Air or Cable (whichever you are using). This would also allow both TV's to see both Tuners simply by changing Channels on the TV.

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts