Upgrading to HD/DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aurora

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Aurora, CO
Newbie question - I currently have two HR-22's and one D-12 recievers. We want to upgrade our D12 to a HD-DVR in preparation for ANOTHER HD TV, my question is: What is my best method of obtaining another HD/DVR? Should I go through Directv or look on ebay? Also, will either/both of these options put me in another 2-year contract?

Thanks!

You'd have to go through DirecTV, because all of the newer receivers are leased and cannot be legally sold on ebay. I ran into that problem when I tried to activate a receiver bought on ebay, luckily I was able to get a refund. Your other option is to buy one at Best Buy, but you may be able to get some kind of deal with DirecTV.

Activating a HD-DVR will renew your contract to 2 years, unless you buy one at full price at Best Buy and activate it with a CSR that knows what they are doing.

Kevins information is a little off. You can buy a used owned HD DVR from eBay. But it is hard to do because many receiver being sold are actually leased from Directv and can't be resold. If you find a receiver you want to bid on get the RID# and call directv to verify it is owned and has no balance owed on it. The only HD DVR you can buy is the HR21PRO in the $600 range, I don't believe BB sells them. Just about anything sold for $200 or less is a lease upgrade fee.

Anything added to your account will have a new lease fee and contract.

In terms of best deal, just start by calling DirecTV and say you wanted to inquire about upgrading your D-12 to an HD-DVR. If you don't like the answer, tell them you'll think about it. Don't be afraid to call a couple times.

I've gotten 3 free HD-DVRs (HR10-250, HR20, HR22) with no strings attached (minus contract extension) just for calling and asking - I have never threatened to leave or even mentioned a competing company or cable.

Agree with Scottie. I had no problem getting my H10 upgraded for free, other than the contract extension. Interestingly I asked for an H2x and they sent me an HR20 by mistake. After some discussion with DirecTV I decided to keep it though I don't use the DVR function on it much, at least not yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts