Upgrading to HD Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

l_bones

Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hello all :)

I have a standard def Tivo box now. All the reviews I have read say do not upgrade to dvr service from directv.

My question is, if I buy an HD Tivo box off of ebay, can I upgrade my account to HD and keep the Tivo service? Will they actiate the Tivo boxes off of ebay? My friend did this with a standard def Tivo but that was a while ago.

Any opinions would be great :confused:

thanks guys :up

I bought an HR10-250 off Ebay about 2 months ago. It works great as a SD recorder and as an OTA tuner/recorder. Because Directv is moving away from MPEG2 HDTV it won't do much for you as a HDTV recorder, but it still works excellently as a TiVo recorder. I wouldn't shy away from a HR20/HR21 if you want a HD DVR but it will be a different operating system that you have to adjust to.

I will admit I'm partial to the Tivo boxes, but the HR20/HR21's are not awful by any means. The only feature that I really miss is the dual live buffers. But I added a hell of a lot of HD channels by going to the new receivers. In my mind, the reason I want an HDTV is to watch HD - with the D* HD-Tivo (HR10-250), you can only get about 5 channels in HD (not counting OTA).

I now have one HR20 and two HR21's, and I've yet to have a problem with any of them.

IMHO - don't be scared away. The positives (lots of new HD) far outweigh the negatives. I'll keep hoping for DLB some day, but in the meantime I rarely watch SD any more. :D

so on the new DVR service you cant watch two channels at the same time? like pause one and flip to the other one during commercials? :confused:

I have two Tivo boxes right now...would I have to switch both of them?

thanks guys :)

so on the new DVR service you cant watch two channels at the same time? like pause one and flip to the other one during commercials? :confused:

Yes and no. It does not have the dual live buffers but you can record both channels and it solves your problem.

I personally would stay away from the HD-Tivo unless you only want OTA and a larger hard drive for SD recordings.

Or there are DirecTV subscribers that are running 2 HR21's on 1 HDTV.That way you have dual 90 minute live buffers and twice the recording time for SD and HD.;)

Not the way it works with the Tivo boxes. If you are not recording anything, it only buffers on the tuner you are watching. With each channel change, the buffer starts over. There is no way to force a change of tuners like on the Tivo boxes - I believe it changes tuners with each channel change.

The workaround is to record and use the 'prev' button - I admit I haven't fully gotten the hang of this myself. I know it works if you're recording on both tuners, but I believe you can do it when recording on one tuner and staying on the same station on the other tuner? It's at least an option if you're only watching two programs. But I used to pause a show on one tuner, then channel surf on the other tuner on my Tivo, then switch back to the still paused program. Not nearly as useful IMHO (for my viewing habits), but I'll still take all the new HD over the DLB. The gal probably prefers the lack of DLB because I'm not changing the channels all the time. :)

And yes, some people do actually watch live TV at times, even with a DVR. :p

Or there are DirecTV subscribers that are running 2 HR21's on 1 HDTV.That way you have dual 90 minute live buffers and twice the recording time for SD and HD.;)
How is this accomplished?
Do you just split the feed into each unit?
Then , do you have to run two separate remotes with each unit running to a separate input on the tv?

How is this accomplished?
Do you just split the feed into each unit?
Then , do you have to run two separate remotes with each unit running to a separate input on the tv?

No splitting, need enough inputs from the dish for both units. You are correct about the inputs to the TV or you can use a switch. You could use one remote and the slide switch or two remotes on RF, it assigns the remote to a particular receiver. I have 5 going into one TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)