Upgrading to HD, what to ask for D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lcazorla

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Hello, I am an existing customer to directv for the past 3 years and just bought my first HD Plasma, so want to upgrade my receiver to HD. I know they want me to sign a new contract with them, but before I do that, I want too see what I can get, if anything free, like an HD receiver, or Tivo or OTA antenna, I don't know anything. Does anyone know what to ask for or what I possibly can get, before I renew my contract? I should call the retention center to do this, correct?

lcazorla said:
Hello, I am an existing customer to directv for the past 3 years and just bought my first HD Plasma, so want to upgrade my receiver to HD. I know they want me to sign a new contract with them, but before I do that, I want too see what I can get, if anything free, like an HD receiver, or Tivo or OTA antenna, I don't know anything. Does anyone know what to ask for or what I possibly can get, before I renew my contract? I should call the retention center to do this, correct?

Definetely call customer retention and tell them that you just went HD and want to upgrade... Your local cable company has free upgrades for HD and E* has their HD receivers for new customers. See if they can float you a new receiver or HD Tivo, OTA antenna, and install for free with signing a 2 year commitment. If they say no, hang up and call again and work the CSR merry go round :)

No retention rep has enough credit allowance to float you a new HD TiVo for free. Period.

Retention reps generally have a credit limit of $250. That should get you an H10 + OTA + dish for free.

Anything else, ask for a supervisor.
H

I just called the number I got for the retention reps 1800-600-8977 but it says it does not exist any more, so I called a CSR directly to Directv but the only thing they offered was a HD reciever (did not even know what type of reciever when asked), sat, and installation for $99. So I said I will get back to him. Anyone has the number for the retention center, and do you think its possible to get a better deal? Thankyou all for your input.

As far as I know there may be no more customer retention dept. The problem with most large companies is the employees they have working for them. I know I work for a large retailer. That doesn't sound bad for a HD receiver and install. The receiver will more than likely be an H-10.

There still is a retention dept, it's just that they got overwhelmed with calls for the $299 HDDVR so they disconnected that number. You might be able to get the HDDVR for $499 + $100 instant credit + $100 mail in rebate + 3 free months of the HD package.

I was reading at another forum that in Oct. 18 the new satelites will becoming out to the public, does anyone know about this, cause before upgrading the hardware, i prefer to wait,

The sats being active does not translate into receivers being available. The likelihood of the H20 stand alone HD receiver is high that it will be ready by years end but the DVR equivalent wont be widely available to sometime mid-2006 if we are lucky. Go with an HD Tivo if you can get the $199 deal after rebate.

Beavis said:
There still is a retention dept, it's just that they got overwhelmed with calls for the $299 HDDVR so they disconnected that number. You might be able to get the HDDVR for $499 + $100 instant credit + $100 mail in rebate + 3 free months of the HD package.

Call the regular number and tell the CSR you want to talk to the retention dept. before you cancel. That should get you through to retention and then you will be talking to someone who can give you the best deal you'll probably get.

I suggest you wait until after the first of the year at which time a firm date or at least month would be given for the MPEG4 HD DVR and Home Media Center boxes. Just keep in mind that to get the new HD LIL channels and national HD channels in the future you will need to get your HD boxes and dish replaced. I just don't want you to spend say 300 bucks when you can just rent the upcoming HD DVR in six months instead of an upfront cost. If at worst case you can disconnect D* service and switch to cable for the next six months if your cable company can give you a deal for three months or so. Many things have changed, got set back and such at this point that none of the major changes won't start to occur until summertime of 2006. Spaceway 2 has been a major part of this delay so pumping out the new HD DVR won't be any good when you don't have a satellite in place to provide MPEG 4 services. Because of this they will get more supply of the new boxes and launch the boxes when they have something to send out in MPEG4.

I rememeber last year sometime they said they were going to have a lease option available with the new equiptment, but that has not come up at all within the last 6-8 months or so. I wouldn't hold out for it. Not to mention the new hd irds will be 700 - 900 dollars. Why not get tomorrows technology at todays prices? Especially if you have hd... Can't imagine holding out and holding out when the sat hasent even launched. What if its delayed again by another 6 mos? Well thats just my opinion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts