Upgrading to Hopper3 - can't see DPH42

I_Machine

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Well, it was a good run. ~16 years of several DIY upgrades, and one move, with no issues, and now I've got some troubleshooting to do.

Currently have a Hopper w/Sling/Super Joey on a DPP44/Solo Node/Integrator to a Dish 1000+ (the "old" version with the clear window on the 118/119 LNB, without the built-in switch). Purchased a Hopper3/4k Joey/DPH42/Solo Hub to upgrade. Swapped the switches, traded node for hub, connected the new Hopper, and it never completes the Check Switch. Doesn't see the switch, and sometimes after a reset it will see a "DP Feed" instead of the expected DPH42 and whatever LNB is connected to Port 1 on the switch, but no signal.

I had accidentally reversed the "To Host" and "To ODU" lines on the hub at first, but after correcting that I don't think it killed the hub or switch. After numerous resets, and trying connecting directly through the switch instead of through the hub, I reconnected the HWS, and after a check switch it fired right up, sees the DPH42, all 3 tuners are fine, and after reconnecting the Integrator the Super Joey works fine.

Considerations: The Hopper3 is a refurb, and a fairly scratched-up one, with SW version U501. Taking a multimeter to the Power Inserter shows it's only putting out 21V instead of 28V as indicated on the block (which has a DPH logo, so it is the correct one).

So, bad Hopper? Bad Power Inserter making the DPH42 act weird? The switch doesn't like the LNBs? Anything else I should try?

I know early versions of Hopper 3 needed s/w updates to see DPH42 switches. Not sure if U501 is compatible or not. Search forum.

Need to buy with newer s/w or hookup directly to dish so it can download s/w then put switch inline.

Reactions: pattykay
Yeah, that was U337, so no problem there.

I'm trying out putting the DPH42 downstream of the DPP44. Something tells me the DPH42 needs a DPP feed. *edit: yeah, that didn't work. Putting the DPH42 on the DPP44's trunking lines produced the same results as above, and on the receiver lines not even the HWS worked. So I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
It does need a DPP feed.
Here's the wiring diagram. The power inserter may also go off port 2 before or after the hub on the Host line

dp4.png

That's the diagram that made me think it needs a DPP feed, but apparently not from the DPP44. I may need to get the DPP LNBFs.

That's the diagram that made me think it needs a DPP feed, but apparently not from the DPP44. I may need to get the DPP LNBFs.

I would think that it would work off of the 44 switch, but hey attention to the wiring because it has to be done in this specific way coming from the dash to the 42 switch. How that works with a 44th switch, I’m not sure

What I would do is run a direct connection from the DPP44 feed output (119 or 110, whichever one the software spools are on, I am not sure which) to the Hopper and see if it will upgrade its software. Then connect it as per the diagram including the DP42 switch.

It does need a DPP feed.
Here's the wiring diagram. The power inserter may also go off port 2 before or after the hub on the Host line

View attachment 131342

This is actually almost precisely my setup: Power Inserter on Port 1, Hub and everything downstream on Port 2. The only difference being the LNBFs are DishPro, not DishProPlus. I have a DPP 500+ LNBF on order.

All that is needed is a dish pro feed. Dpp is not necessary.
My setup is a dish 1000 with 3 dp dual lnbfs connected to a dpp 44 switch with the dph 42 switch trunked.

All that is needed is a dish pro feed. Dpp is not necessary.
My setup is a dish 1000 with 3 dp dual lnbfs connected to a dpp 44 switch with the dph 42 switch trunked.

I thought that was the case. Looking at charlesrshell's wall and HipKat's wiring diagram, if DP LNBFs didn't work then 129 wouldn't work.

Is the DPP44 necessary? I figure it would be needed to feed any ViP receivers; the trunk lines don't change the LNBF signals, it's just what goes in comes out, right? Either way I did trunk the DPH42 to the DPP44, and no change.

This seems to be building evidence for the Hopper3 being bad, which is what I'm hoping for, having been given a refurb and all. Every case so far where my switches and hubs are connected correctly the HWS works, but the Hopper3 doesn't. Does anyone know of a place in San Diego that would let me bring it in to test it?

Last edited:
I know my second H3 came with U348 so maybe its the U337 isn't what you need. I am only guessing.

I know my second H3 came with U348 so maybe its the U337 isn't what you need. I am only guessing.

U337 is supposed to be the minimum version for DPH42 compatibility. This one came with U501 out of the box, so unless that version had problems with the switch, it should be good. I'm going to try hooking up a single LNBF to see if it can pull a software update tonight. Guessing is half the fun!

Pretty much verified it's the receiver. Took it to a local retailer, and it doesn't work on their Hybrid LNB that they use to activate new receivers.

I also figured out my DPH42 is working fine, since all three tuners are getting signal on the HWS. The DPP44 can feed only 2 tuners without a hub, but the DPH42 can feed all three.

Time to start an RMA with SolidSignal. Thanks for the help, guys!

Pretty much verified it's the receiver. Took it to a local retailer, and it doesn't work on their Hybrid LNB that they use to activate new receivers.

I also figured out my DPH42 is working fine, since all three tuners are getting signal on the HWS. The DPP44 can feed only 2 tuners without a hub, but the DPH42 can feed all three.

Time to start an RMA with SolidSignal. Thanks for the help, guys!
The local retailer couldn't handle the return/swap?

The local retailer couldn't handle the return/swap?

I bought everything from SolidSignal, so they'll handle the return. The local retailer just helped me make sure I definitely need to only return the Hopper. They were cool enough that I'll go to them for any future purchases, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts