Upgrading to SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jlambrig

Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I have a house that was wired for cable and subsequently had another coax cable run to 2 rooms with DVRs. I now have an HDTV in a room with a wall that could only have one coax cable jack. I would like to upgrade to SWM to get HD and an HD DVR to that TV. Do I have to run all new cable or can the existing cable be used for all rooms. I have a powered multiswitch that I know would be replaced by the SWM 8. Is this possible? Do I call DTV to have this done or a local DTV retailer?

Assuming that all of the cable runs can be brought to a central location for the switch, with no splitters in line, then the existing cable should be fine to use.

Assuming that all of the cable runs can be brought to a central location for the switch, with no splitters in line, then the existing cable should be fine to use.

I agree. Shouldn't be any issues.

How did you manage to get in a response before what's his name? :D

I have a house that was wired for cable and subsequently had another coax cable run to 2 rooms with DVRs. I now have an HDTV in a room with a wall that could only have one coax cable jack. I would like to upgrade to SWM to get HD and an HD DVR to that TV. Do I have to run all new cable or can the existing cable be used for all rooms. I have a powered multiswitch that I know would be replaced by the SWM 8. Is this possible? Do I call DTV to have this done or a local DTV retailer?

You can use all the existing cable and multiple splitters.
I would recommend only using a quality splitters (preferably the ones designed for SWM) but it will work through cheap cable splitters if it is a must.
The only thing you can't split on swm is if you have to use a swm switch where you have to run the 4 lines from a legacy LNB to the switch. Those 4 lines need to be solid.

The big question is do you need a SWM8?
What receivers do have?

As kj says.....you may not need a SWM 8. You will if you have D-10 or D-11 standard receivers or an R-15 DVR you intend to continue using as they are not SWM compatible. Possible I'd say if you have an antique powered multiswitch.

I have 2 HD DVRs (HR22 and 24) and a third HDTV that I want to install a HD DVR. Right now that is whatever the most recent SD DVR type DTV has. It can't get HD signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)